KGs in the House

cjgeraci

Ok, more like outside of the house...........................

We have a nice covered patio at our house, and I've been trying to figure out what speakers to run outside. I have never been a fan of outdoor speakers, even though I know that Klipsch makes (and has made) some nice ones. Lets just say that I'm more of a floorstander guy. My plan was to keep the speakers covered in the summer and then take them inside in the winter.

Thanks to Sheltie Dave (the master of horn acquisitions) I have a good solution for awhile. I put walnut KG 3.5s and a SW 8 sub on the porch, with the KGs run by a Teac chip amp - and fed directly from a vintage Sony ES series CDP. The KGs, despite their small size, put out some surprising bass for baby floorstanders, and even though they are two-ways (I usually prefer three-ways), the midrange is decent. As many have experienced, I still find it surprising that the chip amps sound noticeably better without a preamp (for some strange reason), and I've tried a number of combinations on the porch playing around (even my Fortes). I probably would not run the small horns of the KG 3.5s with cheap solid state because that could be a terrifying experience, but the speakers work with the chip stuff. Next, a Sonic Impact chip amp will be taking the Teac's place on the porch, with the Teac to return to inside HT duty. A good sound solution for my relaxing and grill work.

Here are links on the speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-3-5.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/sw-8.aspx

Pics to follow.

Carl.

Just don't splatter hamburger grease on 'em while you're grillin'...heh! They're really nice; maybe too nice for porch duty, but that's just me. Obviously they sound great; probably better than any small outdoor loudspeakers by a long shot (I don't blame you for using them out there). Just hope it doesn't leak in the porch when it rains.

Just don't splatter hamburger grease on 'em while you're grillin'...heh! They're really nice; maybe too nice for porch duty, but that's just me. Obviously they sound great; probably better than any small outdoor loudspeakers by a long shot (I don't blame you for using them out there). Just hope it doesn't leak in the porch when it rains.

Thanks, Jim. No, the porch does not leak, but these are at the bottom of the Klipsch pecking list in my household - so they go on the porch.

The only potential problems are when we have larger thunderstorms, like some are forecasted for today. As a result, this morning - as a precaution - I threw both speakers in the garage, and thoroughly covered the sub (and components). The nice thing about these speakers is after owning a variety of Klipsch and Altec speakers (Khorns, Belles, Corns, RF-7s, RB75s, RF-3s, Legends, Fortes, Valencias, VOTTs, etc.), these seem tiny in size and weight in comparison - and are easy to move around.

Carl.