Anyone Looking For A Vintage 70s System?

garymd

The same lady I bought the tubes from called me the other day and asked if I was interested in her late husband's stereo system & records. I glanced at the system briefly while I was there about a month ago and while I have no use for the system, I would like some of the records.

I might be able to get it for a really good price if anyone is interested in picking it up SOON.

There is a GIGANTIC mid 70s Hitachi SS receiver (top-of-the-line model), the one with the silver face that is over 200 WPC. There is a matching Hitachi linear tracking TT and a pair of pretty big (Cornwall size) speakers (Citations maybe??). I can't remember if there was a CD player but I don't think there was. I also have no idea if she still has the original boxes, manuals, etc. I doubt it. It would make a great garage system.

I might be able to get everything for a very good price. All I want are the records. If anyone is interested in the gear, please let me know. I will not ship and I've had enough of ebay for a while. I don't even care if someone wants to ebay it all and make a few bucks although I don't think it's all that valuable. The receiver has a small cult following and is probably worth a few hundred. All of it is in spectacular condition.

I'll post model #s after my visit Sunday afternoon.

PMs only and no outsiders please. Forum family members only!

They were a little shorter than Corns but deeper and about as wide. Definitely all cone speakers. 3-way I think with either a 15 or 18 inch woofer. She said he used to shake the house with them. This was a 73 year old engineering genius who blasted Nautilus pressings of The Cars in his spare time. Gotta love it!!!

Duke - I've done a bit of research on the Hitachi stuff and I don't think there will be an issue. I'll know for sure on Sunday. The receiver is very similiar to my old Kenwood KR-9600 but bigger. Even more similiar to the Pioneer SX1980. This guy was meticulous to the Nth degree!!! If the TT (stylus and all)isn't in perfect working order I'll be amazed. I'm sure I'll be able to power up and play an LP when I get there. She hasn't touched anything in the 3 years since he passed. I have a great connection for vintage parts so I'm not worried either way. The internet has made that part of this hobby much easier too!

The Hitachi receiver sounds like it is the SR-2004 model which has a class G amp that can double the power for short durations (peaks).

I don't have any experience with Hitachi since I have the Pioneer SX-1980 and still use it. I have noticed with Klipsch speakers the volume control almost never exceeds 50% on my Pioneer receiver however it is nice to have the headroom.

I appreciate the vintage audio gear especially the "monster" receivers from the 70's.

They did build some BEASTS in the 70's.................What was that Technics 300 per channel ? Many on here think alot of the 70's equipment was junk, they are so wrong.........there is more good than junk............Garymd...Those speakers wouldn't happen to be Criterion would they ?

Speaking of building beasts - about 5 years ago a work friend of mine mentioned he had some old stereo equipment that he had used back in college, stored in his attic. My interest perked, of course, and I went for a visit.

He pulled out a very nice SANSUI QRX7500 Quad receiver (now, where am I gonna find quad source material [:P]), and a pair of SANSUI ISP-X7700 4 way speakers. I asked him what he wanted - and he gave them to me for the low, low price of $0 - because he didn't want to mess with trying to list them on EBAY. I counteroffered some cash, he refused...

The receiver and speakers are in my shop. I opened the receiver up and "Caig'd" the volume control, and now it's perfect. A little lube on the tuner mech - no prob. The receiver has WAYYY too much power for what I use it for, but no complaints; the music is rich and clean, and the volume control barely cracks 1/3 of the rotation to be very LOUD. The speakers are not bad either; I actually opened them up in the hopes of a crossover upgrade, but never got around to it.

LOVE the old SS stuff - just like the muscle cars of the period (60's/70's), they were built strong and made to last.

Chris

They did build some BEASTS in the 70's.................What was that Technics 300 per channel ? Many on here think alot of the 70's equipment was junk, they are so wrong.........there is more good than junk............Garymd...Those speakers wouldn't happen to be Criterion would they ?

YES!!! Criterion. Any good?

Chris - I PM'd you about 6 months ago. Where've you been? I wanted to get my Academy crossover done. Shoot me an email sometime.

YES!!! Criterion. Any good?

Chris - I PM'd you about 6 months ago. Where've you been? I wanted to get my Academy crossover done. Shoot me an email sometime.

I believe they were top of the line Lafayette Electronics speakers that always got good reviews in magazines like Stereo Review, you might not remember those stores but some of the older guys do..........Faded out in the late 70's early 80's...............Great stores for the times, better than Radio Static............

Drive an extra five miles and you can have a genuine Teac cassette to make that a complete classic system. Here is a pic but mine has the original plastic lid for the top.

Cool looking cassette deck. Too bad you weren't in the Seattle area. I would certainly take that off of your hands. Not that I need another cassette deck, I just like the way this Teac looks.

Tom

Steve? Joe? Still interested? The inside of the receiver needs to be cleaned. Otherwise it is in perfect condition. A $5 can of deoxit and about 20 minutes will get it working perfectly. Right now it crackles in one channel but you can tell it just needs to be cleaned. Here are some pics. Funny how you remember things differently when you aren't focused on them. The TT is not the linear tracking model and the receiver is the SR2004.

post-11821-1381934016253_thumb.jpg

yes im still interested gary, in what ever you still have of this system, i think it would make a good basement/workout system what is the price of whatever is left you can email me at

joespride02@yahoo.com, also list how you would like to be paid and how long i have for picking up, i have a 1300 mile trip im making thursday so next week would be best if possiable

Joe