Chorus II vibrating from the back panel

Mike Lindsey

Q - I look forward to coming over and hearing your system, and meeting you as well. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to listen to the KG's at the same time.

Well, I tried to see if the chamber was sealed by lightly pushing on the front woofer and the rear passive, and they did move out while the other was being pushed in. I then tried replacing the one bad screw with a slightly thicker one, and that ended up doing the same thing. Only now, the hole is bigger. Frown.gif I then removed the passive to see if I could see what was going on inside the box and that hole didn't look any different than the others. One thing I did notice was a foam lining on both sides of the cabinet. This is not on my Chorus I's (as far as I can tell) and I was wondering if they came that way? After putting the passive back in again, I ended up stripping another screw. cwm45.gif Unlike the woofer, there is no nut-like device to tighten the screw down with. The woofer has something (not sure what it is) glued to the inside of the cabinet where the screw is threaded into. If the passive had these, I wouldn't have a problem.

Maybe when Q-Man comes to my house to listen to my rig, he can take a look at this and give me some guidance. I think pizza and beer might be in order. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

You could simply rotate the raditor and start fresh with four new screw holes. The gasket on the raditor will seal off the existing scwew holes if they go thru the panel. Or, drill thru the existing holes and use

T-nuts.

We can demo or A,B the KG5.5's . I also want to do this with the University , LaScala, K-horn, & maybe the Imperial if we can. I've found out over the years that unless you A-B them againts some reference speaker that you can be fooled.

I brought home about six different speakers, thinking that they sounded good in the store, or by themselves. But, once home where I could set them up next to a K-horn or LaScala for an A-B test, then the thruth is heard.

You should bring a Chorus with you, if you can.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q,

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply. Before putting new holes in the cabinet (the radiator requires 8 screws), I might try the T-Nuts first but I don't know what they are. I will go to Home Depot and check them out and see if that's the avenue I want to take.

It's no wonder everything sounds like crap when comparing them to your Khorns, La Scalas and Imperials. Smile.gif I will try and bring over my pair of Chorus II's (I'll see if I can borrow my sister's SUV) and prepare to be very humbled during the A/B comparison. I think it's a good thing because I will then know how much better the upper Heritage line sounds instead of just guessing.

I really appreciate the offer, btw. When you have a free Saturday or Sunday, just let me know and I will plan accordingly...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

Use a single channel from your source material and hook one speaker up to speaker A and the other speaker to speaker B. You can compensate for the different sensitivity in the speakers by using the gain controls on the power amp. Then keep switching back and forth between the speakers. That one sounds better in the low end , no, that one does, and so-on.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q,

Thanks for the info on running the speakers mono. I decided against the T-nuts and ended up shifting the passive radiator about 1 inch from it's previous location and drilling new holes. I then hand tightened the screws and hooked up the Chorus II's as my mains again. After playing the same songs, I no longer hear the vibration that was there previously. Hopefully, that was all it was.

Thanks for your help on this, and I look forward to meeting you and hearing your system...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Good to read you cured your problem, Mike.

I think I'll stick with taking out the main

woofer than the passive, due to the T nuts.

This way I won't take a chance of stripping out

the screws on the plywood.

Why didn't Klipsch use T nuts on the passive?

It would have made sense.

THANX!

Mike L.,

Read my last post under Tech. Questions, McIntosh or B&K. I'm not putting your visit off, we can do it once I get everything back together. I can't let you listen to Klipschorns without good solid corners. This is something I've been meaning to fix. Now I can blame this extra work on you, so hang in there.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man