Chorus II vibrating from the back panel

Mike Lindsey

I'm not too sure if I should post this here because it looks like this is the new Pro Media Trouble Shooting area. Smile.gif Anywho, I am having a problem with one of my Chorus II's. A short while ago, I was using them as mains until I noticed a vibration coming from one of the back panels. This was during very loud bass and/or piano passages (Windam Hill's Winter Solstice II - Tracks 1 and 5). I have to be playing it pretty loud for it to happen (about 100db volume) but when it does, it is very noticeable and very annoying. I've tried to figure out where it's coming from but really can't tell. The passive radiator in the rear seems to look OK but I really don't know what to look for. The only other thing I've noticed is one of the screws doesn't tighten up on the passive radiator. But by removing it, it didn't make a difference. Does anybody have any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I would check all the screws on the passive radiator,

like Malcolm advises.

Maybe replace the screw with a larger one, if

the hole is stripped out.

Be careful! Don't poke the radiator.

(They should have some sort of grill for the radiator,IMO.)

The radiator could be buzzing against the cabinet.

(I would go ahead and check all the screws on the

speaker while your at it. They work their way loose.)

Don't feel bad, I have to find new screws for

the mid/tweeter and input cup.

Can't find the damn things!

THANX!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!Wavey.gif

I bought a pair of KG-5.5's for my mother for X-mas & my father won't let her keep them. He says they are too big. Know I have to put them up for sale one of these days.I Can't win sometimes.

When I bought them , the backs of the cabinets were loose. I didn't notice this untill I cranked up the volume. It sounded like the woofers were bottoming out. I applied slight presure to the cones with my finger tips to see if the noise would stop. This will restrict enought movement of the cone in order to tell if that's the problem. My son was standing in back of the speaker at this time and saw the problem. The center of the back was loose and vibrating in and out 1/2". What a loud slapping noise it was making. I took the drivers out to gain access to the back from the inside. The backs are just hot glued in. I cut some 3/4 by 3/4 pine strips and caulked and screwed them into the sides & back of the cabinet. While I was at it, I did this all around the inside of the cabinet, to make sure that they are air tight.

I've heard of people having this problem with the KLF series. Maybe this is also your problem.

Just crank them up and see if there is any movement in that back panel, and feel for air leaks.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

You might check the midrange horn clearance.On the original Forte' if you played it loud enough the back panel would vibrate against the magnet of the midrange horn.A thin rubber pad, cut from layers of a bicycle inner tube, wedged between the magnet of the midrange driver and the back of the cabinet stopped the vibration.I've never checked the clearance on a Chorus II, but I would check this as well as all the other good ideas.

Thanks Q-Man.Haven't heard of the cabinet problems with the KG5.5's except for one other instance and was trying to narrow down the production run for possible future use.I think you'll like the speakers once you tighten up the cabinets.Don't forget to snug up the screws one the Tractrix horn.Thanks again,

Keith

They are O.K. , but have no place among my Klipschorns, LaScalas and other fully horn loaded speakers. They sound more like some bookshelf speaker compared to my other stuff. Like I said, I bought them for my mother not myself. I'll put them in my local paper one of these days when I feel like giving someone a demo.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike,

$500.00 for the KG5.5's .

I would use a KLF-C7 with them. I have one that I used for a few months, before I decided that it couldn't cut it with the K-Horns. I'm not trying to sell you anything,I'm just giving you my opinion.

Now you have me thinking. I have enought stuff to put together another system. There is no end to this madness.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Thanks Q, I will let you know. I am currently using a C7 with my Chorus's and I like the combination. I will have to let you know about the KG's. That might be a bit more than she is willing to spend. I picked up my Chorus II's for the same price down in West Palm about 3 months ago. I have never heard the KG speakers so would be curious how they stack up to my Chorus I's and II's.

I know what you mean about this madness. I am currently working on a 2-channel bedroom setup with a '76 pair of Heresy's that I picked up at a garage sale. It's a sickness, but a good one. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

To you, maybe $450.00 . You have to understand that I payed $400.00 plus $80.00 shipping. Then I had to fix them as discribed. Then I even touch-up painted them. Remember they had to look good going to my mother.

I think they are 4 years old.

I would say they are like the KLF-10. Your Chorus's would be more like the KLF-30.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Thanks Q for the offer. When you invite me over to check out your system, I would like to take a look at them and maybe hear them if we get a chance. Thanks also for the analogy of the speakers. I have heard the KLF-30's in the local Sound Advice and if the truth be known... I like the Chorus's better. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

I hope to have you over soon. I'm in the process of getting a new amp., and I have do do some taking apart first.This amp. requires a dedicated 120 volt/30 amp circut. I know how to wire a 240 volt /30 amp, but I never heard of a 120 volt one. I have do do a little reasearch . Then I have a cathedral ceiling that I can't get into to run the wire, so I'm having fun. I'm just glad that I have two sons to help with the lifting of these speakers. You can't move the K-horns untill you take the LaScalas off of them . The LaScala center channel is the worst to deal with.

We can do some comparing when you come. we'll talk about that later.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 12-27-2001 at 10:38 PM

Yeah,I see what you're saying Q.The cost of the 5.5's are comparable to a bookshelf compared to that of the Heritage speakers too! Maybe you're electronics are too good for the KG's.I'm using mine in a bedroom set-up with a CD player and a Technics receiver that I bought from U-Bid for $157 delivered.Sounds suprisingly good.Good luck with the wiring Q-Man.More power to ya! :^)

Keith

I have Forte II which are the smaller brother to the Chorus. No problems with them.

One issue for proper operation is the sealing of the air chamber in the box and the active (front) radiator and the passive (rear) radiator.

You can check for the integrity of the seal. Push gently in on the front radiator and you should see the back radiator move back. Just about as if they were mechanically connected.

If you see this sort of movement, and without a return to a neutral position, you probably don't have seal problem because of the screw. On the the other hand, if they're not moving as described above there is probably a leak around the screw, or driver, which must be solved.

Gil