Paramount and Dreamworks drop Blu-Ray

Tom Adams

HD-DVD can be burned to standard DVD-R discs and played inToshiba players using Ulead and Nero software. Bluray can now be burned to standard DVD-R discs and played with Bluray Sony players and PS3 using the AVCHD software of Nero and several others. It is a fairly complex process with a number of different steps and softwares. Speculation and inuendo is that the actual Bluray discs may be considered "pro" and the standard DVD-R discs with AVCHD bluray coding for all of us "incompetents".

JJK

Just when everybody (BD Camp) thought that HD DVD was near death, they have resurrected!! lol Considering the fact that BD was outselling HD DVD 2:1 on the recent sales numbers (movies not players), this was a huge hit to BD. In the end, consumers still are the losers.

Always a two type system, then they drop one, and the consumer who bought Blu-ray is now holding the bag. Beta-VHS all over again, it never stops, the next big thing becomes obselete again, the consumer loses again.............and next month will be Super HD-DVD's making HD DVD's obselete....I know, I complain too much.........it comes with age,and being sick of get soaked by Film Industry coming up with new ways to stop us from burning copies............Piracy, I think that's the Industry word for it !!!!!!!!!

Here's the thing, everyone is still comparing this to the whole VHS Betamax thing. The only possible parallel to that war is the fact that someone might end up holding an obsolete player (which it looks like that is even incorrect given the number of announced and unannounced combo players I know are coming out). The line people forget to draw is that the original betamax players that came out cost around $999+. Adjusted for inflation the $300 HD-A2 would cost $75, which makes a beta or VHS player over 13 times more expensive than the cost of getting into the current format war. The point is, even as a poor college student, I saw the value in jumping in simply because I could begin enjoying HD quality movies with amazing sound quality that really brought my Klipsch speakers to a whole new level for $350 with my Toshiba HD-A20. If it were to lose, so what? I'm out $350 which is about the same cost as a month's worth of utility bills.

Furthermore, I don't understand while everyone (and I'm not trying to knock anyone, but particularly those in the Blu-Ray camp) feel the need to ONLY focus on the negative side of this format war. Here is what it has given us so far: incredibly cheap players from both Blu-Ray and HD DVD and cheaper media, whilst the cost of entry is only a few hundred dollars. And add on it's been said many times (even by Sony execs) that the war could never have been over in less than four years if at all, you've got a long time to run with the so-called losing format. The negative? Well, possibly the need to have two HDMI ports used (unless you go with Samsung's up and coming combo player that costs as much as Sony's Blu-Ray player) and the slight possibility of being out a few hundred dollars. Fair game in my eyes.

"The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs."

No surprises here.

I am just surprised that it took so long.

And as far as "los(ing) again",whining shouldn't come with age, but experience and insight should, and anyone who rushes in and becomes an early adopter invites such results in any market! They have no one to blame but themselves. Duh.

It seems to me that there have been plenty posts here alone advocating one's waiting in making a substantial investment in either format in a rapidly evolving market, despite the cries of 'come on in the water's fine!' Instead, one should risk only that which they can afford to lose on the premise that they have taken advantage of the opportunity that they have judged to be worthwhile.

And as far as the consumer losing, I find it amazing that some, OK, well ONE, whines that competition is bad. But a reasonable person, especially one with such extensive experience and insight would not simply rush forward in a fool hearty manner but would understand that this implies that one format may not survive in the long run and that their products may be orphaned. And hence the caveat against becoming too deeply entrenched in any one format in a developing market.

And copies have little to do with it. Anyone not using the AnyDVD family of products and persisting in using Nero or especially Roxio's product that hijacks your computer deserves the limitations and problems they invited into their computer. Its not like there isn't a plethora of information regarding this problem with Roxio. Especially by those who claim sufficient knowledge to justify their early adopter investment status.

Whine if you like, but a basic understanding of market dynamics would obviate the market challenges in a developing market. And indeed, the old adage that "fools rush in" is indeed appropriate in a market whose entrance gate is enamored with the phrase "caveat emptor", and the landscape strewn with the carcasses of unsuccessful proprietary formats.

And once again Sony has demonstrated that despite having a substantial lead to market, and advantages in capacity, that it takes competent strategic management skills to successfully dominate in a competitive market.

And for those who are shocked that technological capabilities will evolve and increase, I suggest you buy more hay for your horse, kerosene for your lamp, and lament the passing of the good old days...as you do indeed "complain too much".

So I guess the answer is, Don't buy the new products when they come out,"Fools rush in",and if you so choose to buy, "caveat emptor", don't complain when six months later, they don't make that product anymore. That's it, plain as day, swallow the sales pitch, and when they stick you, oh well, it's your fault for buying what they advertise as state of the art. It's the consumers fault.............How could have I missed that point? I guess I was too busy giving my donkey some hay, before I put more wood on the fire, so I could see the old days pass me bye. I don't use kerosene, I can't afford it.....Thanks for bringing that all into focus..................What's next to complain about?...where to begin !!!!!!!!!!

BTW, the deal does not cover any of STEVEN SPIELBERG's movies that he directed.

And the Director of TRANSFORMERS is pissed too!

Somehow I have a strong feeling that he's just blowing smoke (Bay that is) given his history. I'm sure once they show him the paycheck he'll be just like everyone else in Hollywood. Meh, aside from Transformers, I can't think of anything that Bay made that I was a fan of. Especially Pearl Harbor.

EDIT: Bay has actually already released a statement again saying he has calmed down, however he does hope that they will reconsider (doubtful though, considering they're already in an 18 month contract). To quote Jay from Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, "I hate how fake this town is."