4 la Scalas, Different Type aa x-overs

Organbuff64

Greetings!

How nice of Klipsch to host this forum, and a wealth of information found here. I've searched the archives for several days for an explanation for a difference in my pairs of La Scala x-overs. I'm running twin La Scalas placed tweeter to tweeter up front. One pair are '75s' and the other pair are '78s' both have type AA x-overs but look very much different. The '75s' have small caps and the '78s' have several large can type caps, both have autoformer. Can anyone please explain what's going on here? Also can anyone give some guidance on testing and replacing worn parts please? If replacement of some of the caps is required what values should I seek?

I've been reading about the ALK upgrade but not sure I would want to go that way, I'd rather rebuild these if necessary.

Another request would be, can anyone recommed Orange County Speaker Repair for the reconing of two K-33 woofers? Their price is fair, I just want to know if any of you have had work done by them and your opinion please. (I was setting up my two Intersonic Servodrive model BBN-615 subs, and for the first time in 26 years I blew it!!! Grrrrr, Both left channel woofers on the La Scalas exploded!)

Thank you for your reply,

Organbuff64

Klipsch can recone the drivers for about $75. I don't know if Orange County speaker Repair can do it. Give tham a call.

As to your crossovers, Klipsch used different suppliers over the years. I'm sure the values are the same in each Type AA. The parts Klipsch used are very durable, so, unless you are hearing a problem, you don't have any bad components. Unless you are redesigning the crossovers, you should replace the caps and inductors with ones of equal value.

John

Thank you for reply. No, I'm not hearing any problems with these old x-overs...yet any way...knock on wood now that I brought it up.

Do you mean that the Klipsch factory will recone these woofers? If so I'd rather they do the repair. I'll call factory for repair info.

Thanks again,

Organbuff64

Still reading archives...wheew..so much information!

Without seeing the caps, I would guess that the large cans are paper in oil, and the smaller ones are metallized film capacitors. Klipsch parts change over time. If the parts are original, then Klipsch changed from paper in oil to metallized film on the AA somewhere between 75 and 78. I am sure somebody with more experience with LaScalas will chime in here. I know that's exactly what happened with Heresys. Otherwise, somebody changed them.

At the risk of starting another big debate, my preference is for good metallized polypropelene caps in crossovers. Klipsch used paper in oil in the earlier models not because they were necessarily the better for crossovers, but because thats what was available at the time. Capacitor technology has advanced considerably since Klipsch started building speakers.

Never had Orange County Speaker Repair recone anything. But they have a good reputation with southern Californians. Or, since you live in Carmel, you might want to try A Brown Soun in Marin county, just north of San Francisco. They have a good reputation and a lot of famous names use their services.

You do not need to do anything to the crossovers if you like the sound. The capacitors and inductors used in LaScala crossovers don't really change much over time. They also do not generally fail unless subjected to extreme abuse. This is not to say the crossovers cannot be improved if you use better parts. If you want to tweak, all the tweaks been covered in the past. So I won't cover them here. Just check the archives.

Hi guys,

Just got my phone back, living way out in the woods has it's rough times too. Thanks for all the info. I'll just clean off these x-overs for now and keep them going. I want to apply the Dynamat some folks have spoke of. I'm not sure if I should ask this question here of post a new one. Well it's the K-33s, the price of reconing these plus shipping gets real close the the price of new K-33Es. Mine have the large square magnets, are there any advantages to these over the newer K-33Es with the round maganets?

Intersonics sub...yes they do blend well with my La Scalas. I still want a Audio Control Richter Scale unit to tame some hot spots and gain more control over them. The system (before I blew up the left channels) has reached that 'psycho-acoustical' realm...they move a lot of air...almost like those wonderful 32' pipes.

Thanks again, if I don't get some opinions on the reconing verses just buy new ones I'll repost the question.

Organbuff64

Brian at OCS can do an excellent job re-coning your K33s.Last time I checked they were about $55 each.The Eminence kit number is 15162.LEO GUNTHER ENTERPRISES, (916) 865-7719 is in northern Calif and has also done excellent work for me.

• 1 month later...

Textf>Organbuff64 originally writes:***Greetings!

How nice of Klipsch to host this forum, and a wealth of information found here. I've searched the archives for several days for an explanation for a difference in my pairs of La Scala x-overs. I'm running twin La Scalas placed tweeter to tweeter up front. One pair are '75s' and the other *** Are these speakers laying on their sides with tweeters in the middle? If so, I would think the sound(central image) might be improved by placing them woofer to woofer? Am I reading this wrong? Should I get another cup of coffee? LOL.cwm3.gif