Reference fan, still................

rsp1068

About a year ago I tried a set of Chorus speaks I picked up reasonably, and sold after about a month, in favor of the RF 7's.

A couple days ago I shagged a beautiful pair of Heresy II's, as I have to try all of the Klipsch offerings I can get my hands on, and again, am back to the RF's, currently the 3's (room constraints).

The Chorus were real"hot" in the mid, where the Heresy are much "tamer" in the mid section, and pretty well balanced, but lack bottom end.

I am currently set up in an 11.5 x 11.5 room, and the RF 3's fit the bill perfectly. The Heresy sound good with a sub, and have a much higher waf, but, to me the RF's still rule.

I keep my eyes peeled for a local set of Belles, as they are sweet looking, and if they sound 1/2 as good as they appear, then ..................

I grew up with Cornwalls, and would still like a pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns someday (space permitting, natch, since I'm also in a small 12 x 13.5 room). I recently obtained a pair of cherry RB-75 bookshelf monitors, and I'm also sold on the Reference Series tonality. Heritage or Reference, it makes no difference to me what series they are as long as they sound good with my system in my listening room (and IMO both series rule)!

I own a pair of 75's, and at times the upper registry can sound "hot" causing mild listening fatigue. Not sure if its an amp issue or the speakers themselves. I have no problems with the RF or RC 7 which is odd since the horn is the same all the way around. [:^)]

I own a pair of 75's, and at times the upper registry can sound "hot" causing mild listening fatigue.  Not sure if its an amp issue or the speakers themselves.  I have no problems with the RF or RC 7 which is odd since the horn is the same all the way around.  [:^)]

My money is on your Adcom causing the fatigue.

Chicago-pete, thats what I'm thinking. Not meaning to high jack the thread, but I feel a sunfire multi channel amp in the works, or if I get real crazy, maybe some tubes. [:|] I told my dad that this past week and he proclaimed "no one makes tubes anymore". I think that was a challenge [;)]

Chicago-pete, thats what I'm thinking. Not meaning to high jack the thread, but I feel a sunfire multi channel amp in the works, or if I get real crazy, maybe some tubes. [:|] I told my dad that this past week and he proclaimed "no one makes tubes anymore". I think that was a challenge [;)]

McIntosh MC-2102!

Chicago-pete, thats what I'm thinking.  Not meaning to high jack the thread, but I feel a sunfire multi channel amp in the works, or if I get real crazy, maybe some tubes. [:|]  I told my dad that this past week and he proclaimed "no one makes tubes anymore".  I think that was a challenge [;)]

Adcom, Nad, and Rotel all seem bright to me but others swear by them. Just my opinion.

If you stick with solid state I think a McIntosh would work for you.

I did a head to head with a Carver TFM series, and a Rotel 1080, and the Carver was a little "thin" sounding side by side.

I am biased as the Rotel 1080 still is my favorite ss amp, allthough "tubes rule".

Tubes and Klipsch are hard to beat, at any price.

About a year ago I tried a set of Chorus speaks I picked up reasonably, and sold after about a month

The Chorus were real"hot" in the mid, where the Heresy are much "tamer" in the mid section, and pretty well balanced

I do not understand how this could be possible. It really make no sense to me. The reason I say this is because the original Chorus has the same mid (K-57-K) as the Cornwall II. And the Hersey II has the same mid (K-53-K) as the original Forte. These speakers are timbre matched with each other. My guess is that the change can be attributed more due to the room or the electroncis. Myself ,I like the tractrix mid of the Forte II and Chorus II.

About a year ago I tried a set of Chorus speaks I picked up reasonably, and sold after about a month

The Chorus were real"hot" in the mid, where the Heresy are much "tamer" in the mid section, and pretty well balanced

I do not understand how this could be possible. It really make no sense to me. The reason I say this is because the original Chorus has the same mid (K-57-K) as the Cornwall II. And the Hersey II has the same mid (K-53-K) as the original Forte. These speakers are timbre matched with each other. My guess is that the change can be attributed more due to the room or the electroncis. Myself ,I like the tractrix mid of the Forte II and Chorus II.

Xovers may have been in need of some attention in the Chorus, as it is the same front end, pre-power.

The guy I bought them from had them in college, and put them through their paces at parties, where the Heresy's lived a pretty simple life in the closet.

I own a pair of 75's, and at times the upper registry can sound "hot" causing mild listening fatigue. Not sure if its an amp issue or the speakers themselves. I have no problems with the RF or RC 7 which is odd since the horn is the same all the way around. [:^)]

I'm thinking it's the amplification, and not the horns. Although I have only used a 300B SET amp to drive my RB-75s, they're anything but shrilly or harsh, whereas the '79 Cornwalls in their original state (before my brother modded 'em into biamped two-ways) even with a variety of tube and solid-state power, sounded a tad bit harsh in my same room. With Bob's latest crossovers installed, the Cornwalls sounded much cleaner (like a new pair of Cornwalls...heh), and with the upgraded mods by my bro (biamped with Altec horns/drivers), they sound more like Jubilees![Y]

The general consensus is to ditch Adcom; agreed and no problems there. For the purpose of an HT, with the current state of the HD+HDMI 1.3 audio debacle still flying around, I'm thinking that a current Denon AVR with a QSC amp might do the trick. Any words of wisdom on such a move? Once again, to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Xovers may have been in need of some attention in the Chorus, as it is the same front end, pre-power.

The guy I bought them from had them in college, and put them through their paces at parties, where the Heresy's lived a pretty simple life in the closet.

Did you check to see if the tweeters were working? It's not uncommon for the diaphragms to go with years of abuse. That can certainly make the squaker appear to be very forward without the balance of the tweeter. Stuff a sock or towel in the mid horn and put your ear to the tweeter, low volume of course. If no sound, need new diaphragms. PM BEC for some titanium diaphragms and you are good to go. IMHO, having owned most Klipsch speakers including the RF-7's and my current Chorus I's, there is NO substitute for cubic inches! Two 10's can't keep up with that 15 incher when given the proper juice!