turning car audio into a home theater

speedking22

I have some old car audio equipment that has been laying around for about a year and I want to try to take it and turn it into a nice home theater. it includes 3 subwoofers, 2 amplifiers, and a car cd player, and i have some old car speakers to, a few actually, various sizes. Is this possible? does anyone have a way of doing this, and willing to walk me through it? very much appreciated... thanks

The subwoofers you might use but they may not be as effective as they rely alot on the cabin gain of a car's interior, the amps will be of no use unless you have a 25 amp or bigger 12V power inverter to run them with in the house.

Better off to sell the car gear outright and purchase a cheaper A/V receiver and speakers. You can get a nice Onkyo SR504 for like $150 on uBid which has tons of features and all the latest DSP processing modes.

dump the amp and cd player. Regardless of whether you can find a 2000w inverter or not, you won't find one that ouputs an un-modified ac signal (it won't be a true sine wave), without spending hundreds. As far as running a blow dryer on a modified signal, maybe it works ok, but I wouldn't send it through my audio equipment.

as far as the subs, just plug 'em into any amp, if they sound good, keep them. we won't be able to give advice better than your own ears

easy, if it is a 12v system, buy a good quality battery and hook the gear up to that. When the battery needs charging hook that up to a battery charger. There is nothing like bettery power. Have a look at this site...www.mother-of-tone.com

Cheers

Regardless of whether you can find a 2000w inverter or not, you won't find one that ouputs an un-modified ac signal (it won't be a true sine wave), without spending hundreds.

Building a 12VDC power supply is quite easy. In fact, you could do it for like $20 (and have no ripple to worry about). Just about every piece of electronics you can think of has DC power supplies (including normal home audio amps).

However, I still wouldn't recommend the approach. While it might be an interesting project, much better sound could be achieved for less money by employing a normal "home audio" approach.

Dunno about home theater, but Dkalsi on the forum has a buddy who with his father makes TUBE audio equipment for cars! A niche market for sure, and I think most of their product goes to Thailand. Installations sound very tricky and labored, sometimes need a new head unit, so it's not exactly plug-n-play.

Larry

I am also a car audio nut and I agree with the posts. First of all car subs (in the normal under 1 cuft box) cutoff at about 50 hz and rely on cabin gain in the car to extend low frequencies. They will NOT be able to reproduce the lows in HT. Plus having to get a good inverter (you do NOT want to have an acid filled battery in your living room.... trust me).. etc etc.. buy a cheap HT reciver or HTIB and you will be much happier and will be up and running fast.