Help!!! ProMedia 2.1 Right Channel Does Not Work.

Ibalkie187

Ive had my Promedia 2.1 System for a while now and the right channel does not work. the sub and the left channel seem to work fine. i checked the fuses and they looked fine. i checked the din tip for bent wires, but they also appeared fine. however i did notice that when i turn off the system while my mp3 player is still playing, after half a second of turning the switch off from the back of the subwoofer, i could hear the right channel again for about a second before the system completely turns off. does this means there is still hope for the right channel, or perhaps can it be the control pod?

I've had the system for over a year now and I have the same exact problem. The right channel all of a sudden just stopped working. I checked all the fuses, the circuit board in the control pod & inside the sub, the speaker wires and the din plug. Everything looked fine, there were no burn marks, bent pins, etc. I've hooked the right speaker into the left channel and it works fine. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to send them in to get looked at, I don't want to part with them [:P] I could attach pics if that would help, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a brand new ProMedia 2.1 with a defective pod. contacted Klipsch early September for warranty replacement.

they advised part backordered (from China) and were expecting shipment 9/28. just sent email inquiry and was

advised that pod is backordered for at least 2 weeks. if your speakers are new, I'd send them back and get

something different. this pod problem is apparently not an isolated issue and with parts coming from overseas I

am not optomistic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem too, my right speakers no longer work. i dont think its the pod, i think its from the subs/amp. the green light on my pod still lights up. when i fiddle around with the wires it would work again temporary. this will be going back to best buy for repairs. if a klipsch moderator can address this problem, it would be great. i only had this unit for 8 months. my previous unit went out the same way too.

• Moderators

There is no way to know if it's the sub or the control pod, unless you can open them up and know what to look for (not recommended). The best way to find out for sure is to swap parts.

This can also be the soundcard or loose wires....be sure to do all the troubleshooting you possibly can before taking them back or sending for repairs. Test with another device besides your soundcard, and also unplug everything and reset all your connections.

Make sure you also check for any bent pins in the round DIN plug.

Thanks!

After many months of trying to figure out my system, i finally ordered the control pod from Klipsch. And this solved my problem with the right channel of my system. My system works like new with the new pod. Hopefully this is useful for other who had the same problem as i did with the right channel not working properly. though i still think Klipsch need to make improvements on the control pod and perhaps make them in the US rather than in China.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a prospective buyer, these quality control issues have me worried. Is everyone having to pay for replacement parts out of their own pocket? How common are these issues? Do you have to return the part or entire speaker set before they will ship replacements?

I believe Klipsch has been making the Promedia 2.1 for more than 5 years now. The consensus on the Web seems to be: fantastic sound; unpredictable quality/durablity. Is there any indication Klipsch is improving quality/reliablity over time?

Good luck to all in resolving your speaker problems.

Same problem here. The speaker with the control pod on it plays poorly at low volume. Taking the grill off shows that the midrange driver isn't outputting any sound. The DIN plug looks alright (no apparent bent pins) and the speaker wires to the satellites seem connected well on the subwoofer & plugged in firmly to the sats.

Bought these from the Klipsch store on eBay, Dec. '05 and they've been working great until now...

I'm having the same problem too. I've tried it on different systems. Like others said if i fiddle with the wires it will work temporarily or if i turn it up really loud it might kick in. I've had these a couple years now and have replaced the control pod once for a similar problem, but now its back again.

• 5 months later...

This worked for me takes only a couple minutes and is very easy.

Okay guys, ealrier today after playing some obnoxiously loud death metal I realized that my right channel was getting all distorted and then stopped working completely. [:|] Naturally, I freaked. I felt releived when I found out that the right channel would come back if only for a split second when turning off the system and so I concluded that the pod was the problem. This is what I did to get the right channel working perfectly again:

1. Unplug the system (safety first)

2. Remove pod from the speaker (it should slide off after removing the speaker legs/stand)

3. Open up the pod removing the cover and removing the board from the enclosure (careful not to touch the circuit board so you don't cause static e. damage)

4. Now simply, CHECK THE CONNECTION OF THE THICKER CABLE TO THE BOARD AND RESEAT IT (It wouldn't hurt to spray the board with compressed air as I did cause mine was covered all kinds of dusty artifacts)

I know how much you guys love your Klipschs so I hope this works for you [H] -Calvin

Same problem here. The speaker with the control pod on it plays poorly at low volume. Taking the grill off shows that the midrange driver isn't outputting any sound. The DIN plug looks alright (no apparent bent pins) and the speaker wires to the satellites seem connected well on the subwoofer & plugged in firmly to the sats.

Bought these from the Klipsch store on eBay, Dec. '05 and they've been working great until now...

Finally got around to ordering a new control pod, but no joy - same
problem as before. If I take the outputs from the power amp on the
subwoofer to the satellites and swap them, here's what I get:

Before swap: Left sat plays fine, right has nothing, even with vol turned way up.

After
swap: Left sat silent, right sat plays at very low volume, and sounds
kind of "tinny" (as if it had little to no midrange).

I am sorry, if I had known before I would have told you that it was not the DIN plug or the control pod, you have a issue with the sgnal getting from your Subwoofer's internal amplifiers to the speakers, so now you start the trouble shooting process, step one, unplug the 1/8 back behind the speaker that is not working properly and then plug the speaker that is working good into that channel with that cable, if it sounds good then the problem is your speaker itself or internal wiring. Cheap enough fix believe it or not. oops, gotta go, I may write more later.

I think, after further testing, that I might have two problems. Here's why:

1. plug lead from R chan into L speaker (one w/o control pod) - sounds good.

2. plug lead from R chan into R speaker (one with control pod) - sounds poor

3. plug lead from L chan into either speaker - poor/no sound at all

So I'm thinking I have a bad R satellite (could be the 1/8" plug, internal crossover, etc...) and some problem with the L chan of the subwoofer's internal amplifier (poor connection inside those spring-loaded terminals, the amp itself, etc...). Sound reasonable ?

After testing my computer speaker set up every which way to figure out why I had no R channel, I finally Googled "GMX A-2.1 + troubleshooting," found this forum, and BINGO! My problem was a bent DIN plug pin.

Gotta LOVE the internet. Thanks Amy!

Prestodad

• 1 month later...

Thanks to this forum ! I was ready to ship mine off for repair , then I came across this forum and was able to fix the problem myself ! Actually I had 2 problems , one was a bent pin on the din connector , the other was the big wire plug on the control pod . Refer to calvinj's post . It was excellent information ! I did notice that the pod was a little stubbon coming off , but a quick bump with a screwdriver handle did the trick ! Thanks SO much ! I LOVE the system just like I did before !

I recently bought a used GMX A-2.1 system for use with my iPod in the kitchen. I’ve got the crackling problem I’ve seen posted elsewhere, and plan to clean the pre-amp controller POTs.

But I have another issue. The left channel seems considerably softer than the right channel. Not dead altogether but definitely softer. It's not the speakers...I switched them and had the same problem. At low volumes, the output from the left channel seems non-existent. Does anyone have a fix for this?