How loud can your system go?

kenratboy

It's all good, Ear!

People gotta make the best out of what they got.

Be glad people show interest in the hobby,

not by what they use.

A little bashing keeps things lively, though.

(But with respect, due to one's interest in audio.)

Good point, one needs to know products, how

to find them secondhand, and how to work 'em.

I found a pair of Chorus II's and a Yamaha MX-1

amp and CX-1 pre-amp for $378 at a thrift store

where I work.

The Chorus's had a bunk tweeter and crossover,

but I fixed that, and upgraded the crossover.

The Amp and Pre were perfect.

Now this isn't exactly the Esoteric SS gear

you have, but the MX-1 and CX-1 isn't really

cheesy reciever type gear.

I just purchased a pair of SVS 16/46 subs,

they ain't ultra's, but they will do the job!

The only lame thing is, my NAD 2100 power amp

has a bulged cap, and my subs are dead in the water.Smile.gif

I tried the subs when I got them though, The

NAD worked rather well with the SVS's.

I have a manual coming, and plan fixing and possible

upgrading for the NAD.

This and the active X-over kit I got for subs,

then I should be sounding pretty decent.

I'm just a two channel guy basically.

Oh BTW, Carver and Krell SUCK S**T!

HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! YUK.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EAR!cwm12.gifcwm12.gifcwm12.gif

To theEAR:

OK, I have been nice so far, but you can take my Fisher's and shove them. I WILL BE GETTING A PAIR OF RB-5II in a few months, not because of you, but because I KNOW THEY SOUND BETTER THAN MY FISHERS, and Ive known this for a long time. Get a life. Have you even read my damn posts, WHERE I SAID that Klipsch speakers sound better than my Fishers? Car, mortgage, bills, insurance, groceries, and other real life factors play into my audio gear purchase. I want a pair of RF-7s, and would sacrifice mach to have them, and some nice separates as well. This is a forum to share and express ideas and opinions, not to ruthlessly defend Klipsch, and yourself. If you havent figured it out, I love Klipsch and will probably be buying them for the rest of my life. Also, even though you probably dont care, if I put another post on this forum, and you gave a thoughtful and decent reply, I would just forget about this. Period.

To everyone else on the Klipsch forum:

Your all awesome and I love this forum, theEAR is really starting to annoy me, but the rest of you are great, so make sure you dont get the wrong impression about me. I know the rest of you are smart enough to recognize, and deduct from my posts, that I believe than the Klipsch Reference series sounds better than my Fishers. theEar does not.

Thank you and best of luck in the new year.

Go get your Klipsch and put the Fisher speakers in your next garage sale. LOL

As I see your sense of humor is not very good.I was being sarcastic in my first posts.Get it? DOH

I dont have any hate for Fischer audio gear or Sansui(Mike's fave speakers Wink.gif )

Mike,

What did you say about Carver and Krell?cwm23.gif

NAD what is that? It must stand for

Non Audiophile Device

cwm8.gifNAD

Mike at least you have great subwoofers and good speakers. Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

lol. Mad at the ear?

EAR once thaught I was mad at him. I was happy he said the things he did about my new sub. I took it back, and have herd many other things that sound better.

-He showed me the light..lol

You should of seen the comments he made about my "nuance" sub, after it fried!!! lol

Many people here value his opinions about audio gear, as do I.

Im in high school, and no what you meaqn about trying to buy stuff like klipsch. You have Bills, and I got school. Hard to make money to aford RB5's. I baught them, but returned them because they were "Problem" floor models..

Great speakers though, surprisingly loud.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

TheEAR:

Is it all cool now? I trust your opinion. I NEVER said my Fishers were better than Klipsch. I never expect to see a pair of old Fishers sitting next to a 30 year old McIntosh amp in the used section of a high-end audio shop. This post WAS about sound levels, not about the quality of gear. I dont want to make any enemies on this forum. The way I interpreted your posts were: You have crap for equipment, so F off, I dont want to have ANYTHING to do with you. Not as sarcasm. If you were really trying to be sarcastic and light hearted, Im sorry. As I said, some Klipsch RB-5IIs are on the way, separates will follow soon after, and Im sure Ill be asking your opinion as to what I should get ($1500-$2000 range for amp and preamp.) Anyway, the Fishers are really great end tables for lamps, and, the genuine vinyl wood grain finish is also water-resistant, so I can put glasses or cans on them without worry. Also, they make great step stools if they are laid on their sides. Beat that. Again, if I simply misinterpreted your replies to my original post, my apologies.

Ear!

What! You Don't like NAD?!

YOU BAS***D! YOU SONOFAB**CH, I'M GONNA DRIVE

UP TO MONTREAL AND F***ING KILL YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

Naw,

I'm just kiddin'.

Yeah, I should start pondering a better sub amp.

(I'm gonna fix it, why not? seems practical.)

Oh well, It will get me by until I find better.

It was a cheap hock shop amp, anyway.

Kick me some ideas on what brands of a good

Monoblock amp that would push a 16/46?

I would really like it to push two, due to lack

of funds for two monoblocks.

Please no PE plates, or Pro sound.

I have to go secondhand here, as well.

Krell, Carver is cool.

Some products end up with a bad reputation,

who knows why sometimes, and who cares.

Bad rep or not, you still have to respect the

manufacturer's of these products.

They both make fine gear.

Now, Bose? LOL!

You could give me one of your amps.

I'll swap ya a pair of 1970 Sansui Sp-2000's

for it.

They play Brittney Spears just like it's

supposed to be!

NAD 'Never Again, Dammit!'

cwm32.gif

I have an NAD integrated amp. 3120, I think.

It is sitting in my garage.

I bought it used on EBay.

It worked great for a few weeks.

One day it popped. No sound.

"Simple," says I. "Probably blew a fuse."

I open it up.

Have you EVER SEEN THE INSIDE OF ONE OF THOSE DAMN THINGS? I mean, it's got more wires coming off the power supply that don't go ANYWHERE, with unterminated bits and strands just CLIPPED and HANGING THERE, and I tried to trace down the stupid circuit to find where something might have let go but trying to do this is worse than trying to figure out the power supply connections on a 1976 TECHNICS RECEIVER (yes, I used to have one, it produced 270 watts per channel into, uh, something or other...) so I finally GAVE UP and left it sitting in the COLD STALE GARAGE until H*LL FREEZES OVER...

there, i feel all better now...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Mike,

"Ear!

What! You Don't like NAD?!

YOU BAS***D! YOU SONOFAB**CH, I'M GONNA DRIVE

UP TO MONTREAL AND F***ING KILL YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!"

Bring it on,I filled up my punching bag with NAD and Bo$e components and I train to meet you this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY at the Montreal Olympic Stadium err the one with the neat retractable roof that breaks and falls every winter. LOL

Ray,

We understand your pain,

Just get the 24lbs sledgehammer and let loose on the Non Audiophile Device or Never Again Dammit

cwm27.gif

Yes its right to say a NAD looks like a dangerous device inside.I did peer inside a NAD reciever and two channel amp with the so called SOFT CLIP circuit.

When you activate the SOFT CLIP you compress all the dynamics.Metallica sounds like soft jazz after the SOFT CLIP is activated!LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I was searching out of pure boredom

at Audio Review about the NAD 2100, 3120 whatever.

They all had the same complaint, pops.

I geuss it's the start-up relay switch/switches they either go bad or they get a cold solder joint over time.

Notice it has more glass fuses than most vehicles

from the Seventies.

Maybe that was a Air Conditioning circuit you

were trying to chase out.

(And they already pulled the pump.)

The Hell with it, I'm gonna scrounge up some

sort of cash for a sub amp.

Maybe I can work the auction sites, Caveat emptor!cwm42.gif

Oh god, I was about to buy a NAD C370 a few weeks ago. After hearing the last few posts, Im glad I didnt, I like something built solid without extra wires. I bet those wires were just power supply leads to EXTRA amp circuits, and they just disconnected them at the factory and sold the amp as a cheaper model! In the computer world, when Intel was making 486s, they would cut the math coprocessor off of some of the CPUs before they sold them. That means it cost MORE to make and sell the CHEAPER of the processors. The more expensive one, with the coprocessor on it, cost them less to make, and was sold for more! Same thing with NAD, probably. By the way, all you AMD fans, AMD didnt do that. Still, the NAD is probably better than what I have, but I dont want to blow cash on crap. What else is good in the same league (or separate amp/preamp)? Are there any brands that I should avoid at all costs? I have considered NAD, Rotel, Adcom, B&K, and Parasound. Which is good, and which is bad, tell me, please! THANKS!

Well thought I'd chime in regarding my experience with NAD equipment. I've had nothing but stellar performance from the NAD 2400PE THX Amplifier and their NAD T761 HT Receiver. The 2400PE originally powered my rear surrounds, but now powers my SVS 2039 Sub in Bridged mode, using unfiltered LAB inputs, soft clipping not enabled, thank you. I chose the NAD T761 over other receivers because of NAD "Music First" design to A/V receivers. Its reproduction of 2 channel music, for me, exceeded the sound quality of the units that I auditioned. It doesn't contain all the bells and whistles incorporated in other similar or lessor priced units, and only offers only 5.1 Channels for HT, but its musical prowess is where its strengths are revealed. It musical abilities were the driving train that influenced my purchase within the budget range that I was willing to spend. Thus far my satisfaction with the receiver has allowed me to spend additional dollars better amplification (Anthem Amp 1, Dynaco Series II & Sound Valves 70i), an SVS 2039 Sub and most importantly, additional Klipsch Heritage Speakers.

I do realize that audio experiences are similar to male/female relationships. One parties pain or displeasure with their selection, can be another individuals joy and ecstasy. Though I'm pleased with NAD my receiver, I am considering an upgrade in the future to a separate Pre/Pro. Purchasing an NAD unit is not likely, as their Silver Series separates are not within my budget nor color scheme. If funds were no consideration, I'd opt for the Anthem AVM 20 Pre/Pro, which has adjustable crossover points from 40-160 Hz, XLR Outputs, an RS-232 Connection and a host of other innovative features. Unfortunately, reality has me focusing on the Outlaw Pre/Pro, if its performance reviews prove it worthwhile, but will keep the NAD gear for other duties and backup.

Best to all for the New Year!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Mike,

"Seriously, what would be a good amp for these

16/46's?"

Any of these with 250W(or more)RMS into 4 ohms...

Bryston,Celeste,ATI(best buy),CinePro

I know these are not cheap and not good value

For value I would look into used...

Carver(I purchased the TFM-75 for under $600(about $1000 canadian)in perfect condition.This "thing" can deliver two times 1 kilowatt into 4 Ohms(RMS fullbandwith).Its a killa sub amp,with power to drive any monster sub.

You can also buy smaller Carvers for much less(around 200-250)and still power the larger SVS to earth shaking levels.

TheEAR(s) Now theears