More toys arriving

el jopez

A few weeks ago I purchased my first RC-7 and have been blown away with its abilities. So impressed I've decided to add more RC-7's (surrounds) to the mix, and am thinking, to help offsets some costs the RB-75's may just have to go. m00n, I have you and only you to blame for this inspiration [Y]

This past week I went to my local Best Buy to pick up an HK AVR-347 to A/B the amp against the Adcom in my system. Though the HK amp isn't as powerful as the Adcom, the difference in sound was evident, and I was impressed. The RC-7 came alive with a bit more fullness and the RB-75's lost the majority of the upper bite in the higher registries. The HK went back to Best Buy, (it simply doesn't hold a candle to the B&K Ref 50 or maybe I'm so accustomed to it now), and the Adcom has been listed here for sale and soon elsewhere. Since I cannot live, letalone operate without an amp I've decided to go ahead and add a few B&K amps.

FedEx just delivered the first amp, a B&K 6 channel AV 6000. Haven't opened it up or played with it yet. The seller acknowledged that two of the channels were slightly deffective so I may have to open it up to see if it is a fuse issue.

Ups on Monday should be delivering the final component, a B&K Ref 4420 stereo amp. I never imagined three years ago I would see this day. [:D] Fellow board members, my mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you and I thank you!

Actually they don't, and think I'm a nut. However my dad is experiencing a new interest in pulling out his old vinyls because of my enthusiasm. Guess it does rub off. [;)]

After 3 hours of non stop music, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the 75's are a force to be reckoned with. The replacement of the Adcom with the B&K was a sonic night and day transformation. Out of excitement to add this new piece into the rack, I decided against allowing the amp a day to warm up and jumped right in. Immediately the upper bite of the 75's dissapeared, midrange was more apparent and the bass became more robust. As the evening grew, I noticed after revisiting a few selections from earlier that the bass had tightened up and the sound was much more pleasant to the ears. I attributed this to the amp in a warmed up state. However, there were songs I could have sworn to you that I thought I had known yet felt I was experiencing for the very first time in my life.

Not all was good though. Some modern tunes reared their ugly "loudness" head and there are discs that I had loved that don't warrant a repeat listen ever again. The price of quality is a harsh one, yet the London Philharmonic and the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra never sounded better! One more amp to go, and then to make room for the RF7's. O happy days!

I don't know, its hard to say. If I can somehow acquire 4-5 more RC-7's then yes, the RB's will go. For stereo listening the plan has always been to use the RF7's, and with the 220 watt amp en route, this will becoming a reality and the 75's will be moving back for rear duty. These things are great there is no doubt about it, you do have to be careful about the amplification you pair these up with. If you are still interested I will definitely keep you in mind.

Congrats on rediscovering your RB-75s. Back in my Reference days, I ran a pretty similar setup with DeanG'd RF-7s, DeanG'd RC-7, RB-75s, and some Reference three series. The RB-75s impressed me when I paired them up with quality stuff (Classe and Rotel back then), but I do agree that RC-7s are a huge step up (try your RC-7 on its side if you haven't already) - and I would go with more RC-7s if you can get by with it.

Carl.

We had the RC 3, RC 7, RC 7 with a dean crossover mod. and the RC 64 running of a Yamaha amp, we used a Pink Floyd sound for the test.

No need to tell you that the RC 3 was the lowest in the rating, not a bad speaker but just not in the same league.
We could tell a difference between the two RC 7, the modified RC 7 was a little smoother and took some of the harshness away.
I'm not saying the non-modifed RC 7 was harsh but compare to each other that's how I would describe it.
The RC 64 had the warmest sound of the four.
My advise would be, if you have a RC 7 and wanted to upgrade then get the x-over upgrade, if you don't have a RC 7 and you are thinking to upgrade your center channel then go for the RC 64
Overall, I would have to say that you would hard press to hear the difference if you did not have them side by side, they all performed very well and either one would make anyone happy. 
I will also add that the RC 7 did very well with the RF 83's.
I'm by no mean an expert, and I'm not making any claims of any kind these are just my personal opinions

Awesome, thanks falcon. Its been on my list of things to do, mod the x-overs on the 7 series, however I'm still playing the matching game with amps to see if it helps and so far it has. So it may add some benefits, or may not. There's always room acoustical treatment to consider.

Btw the last amp came in today, and its heavy, and purdy to look at. Doubt I will have time to mess with it tonight, as I have a crazy school schedule this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

• 2 months later...

It's very interesting reading about this. I think I may get the upgraded crossovers for my RF-7s sometime in the future. I have another question though. Right now I have a Crown XLS-802 amplifier powering the RF-7s. All I had was stereo. I just acquired a Harman Kardon AVR335 and I am now running a 4.0 setup. My Crown amp is plugged into the preouts of the Harman Kardon. Is there a way to use the Harman Kardon as the second amp to biamp the 2 speakers while still using the preout so it gets both? And.. if it is possible would it sound any better? HKs are supposed to sound real good. I know this isn't the best choice but I can't afford to buy any other high quality amp right now.

Thanks in advance.