KLF-30 or RF-5

aaronmarks

I just got the opportunity to buy a pair of KLF-30 towers for about the same price I can get a pair for RF-5 towers for. I also have the option of buying a KLF-C7 at the same time which would replace the RC-7 that I currently have if I got the KLF-30's.

What do you guys think... would you take a KLF-30 over a RF-5, and if I were to take it one step further, how does the KLF-30 do up against a RF-7?

Thanks for any feedback!

I have never heard a KLF30 nor a RF5. Having said that I have owned LKF20's and own RF-7's.

I will review the latter.

The KLF-20's have a more full rangfe of sound to me. The 3 way design makes for better mids and I even felt batter highs. The RF-7's have a more open airy sound to me. Better bass and thump. I grew to love the sound of the RF-7's overall. However, I had the KLF-20's set-up in a music only environment and found myself listening to them from time to time and appreciating what they had to offer.

Given the choice between the two you mention, and never having heard them, I would choose the KLF30's. The reason I say this is the the RF-5's are closer to being the big brother to the RF-3's than they are to being the little brother to the RF-7's. The KLF30's are the big brother and will respond as such.

I would like to offer this as well. As I have never heard the 3-'s or 5's, I feel confident making this reccomendation from the years of reading other posts on the two speakers. I have never heard a Cornwall either, but from what I read I bet I would like them as well[;)]

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said.

Phil, IMO, hit it right on the head. The RF5 is a great speaker but it suffers from what I would call "The middle child" syndrome in the older RF series. (RF 3, RF 5, RF 7)

I started with complete RF-3 HT system and used it for about a year until I purchased a pr of KL 30's and a KLF-C7. I felt that the KLF setup was more flexible as it performed great in HT applications and was miles ahead of the RF system in 2 channel duties. But, as is the case of most of use here, the upgrade bug hit me again and the KLF's were replaced by the Cornwalls and K-Horns.

In regards to the RF -5's, I have had the opportunity to listen to them quite a bit over the years and felt that they didn't offer that much more than the RF-3's to warrant the higher price, when they were new. In regards on how the RF-5's stack up against the RF 7's, I don't know. I don't have that much experience with them to make any kind of comparison.

So, to give you a wishy-washy, middle of the fence answer, I don't think you would be disappointed with either speaker. But, based on my experience, the KLF 30's will give you more flexibility on what you choose to throw at them or what type of venue you are going to use them.

Just my .02 worth

JJ

Is that your M1 in the avatar ?

Oh yeah , KLF30's !

Hahaha, I only wish that was my M1. I do love BMW's though and have had quite a few different ones. That happens to be the Andy Warhol ///M1, it would be worth millions of dollars if it were for sale (I think it is in a Museum somewhere though).

Thanks for the suggestions of the KLF-30's you guys.

Here's a good question though. How much do you think some black KLF-30's in good condition are worth, and how about a KLF-C7?

Is that your M1 in the avatar ?

Oh yeah , KLF30's !

Hahaha, I only wish that was my M1. I do love BMW's though and have had quite a few different ones. That happens to be the Andy Warhol ///M1, it would be worth millions of dollars if it were for sale (I think it is in a Museum somewhere though).

Thanks for the suggestions of the KLF-30's you guys.

Here's a good question though. How much do you think some black KLF-30's in good condition are worth, and how about a KLF-C7?

Aaron:

In regards to prices, I've seen KLF 30's go from 800-1200 and KLF C7's 225-350.

There are the occasional "The deal of a lifetime" prices as well.

JJ