SPEAKER PLACEMENT PROBLEM

BigStewMan

I have the Synergy F3 system in my living room. Since I've been in my new house, I haven't hooked up the S3 Surrounds because the room is much smaller than where I lived before. Do the surrounds have to be behind me? I have some cool stands and may possibly be able to put one on each side of the couch--but they will be at ear level and directly to the side. will i lose much in the effect?

You won't like the surround speakers at ear level. Radio Shack sells Omni Mount adjustable speaker stands for ~$40 that are 48 inches high and can handle heavier speakers. I had the same problem when I was using 31 inch stands. The Omni Mounts made a dramatic difference.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123418&cp=&sr=1&origkw=adjustable+speaker+stand&kw=adjustable+speaker+stand&parentPage=search

i have heard this issue discussed very much on this forum, and after much research, and many stats-graphs-opinions, i decided to experiment, i did so because i am in your position, couch against the rear wall, it gets worse! i have no direct side method! so i bought 2 pedestals and placed them approximately 1 1/2 " in front of listening posiition, equally at my sides, the recommended speaker element to have at ear level is the tweeter, si my tweets are at ear level, after a few spl adjustments walla!!! my ht sounds as good as can be. once you balance, and make adjustments, your ht placement will work just as well as if you are adhering to all the recommended triangles, and distances, the big factor is room size. too small a room will choke the sound, not allow the speak to breath. 1 very important thing in this equasion, is spacing off walls, and toeing. hell my lascalla sits 3 feet off center from the hdtv, but since balanced spl'ed and toed once in play you cant tell the sound is not coming from the screen take time!!! dont spend money! experiment, isnt that what this lunacy is all about anyway. see ya