Help - need "bigger eyes"

kdcarroll

I am in need of a Fisher 500C for my initial trip into tube amps for my Heresy main set. The trouble is, for some reason, since the Stereophile review, everyones wants far too much money for items that are usually not in shape for regular use. The converse; those that have refurb units want a MINT. I have been searching for sometime all the usual suspects (Craig's List, E-Bay, etc.), and can't cover enough ground. The Forum has been so nice for so long, I want to ask to "use" the resources to at least identify this missing amp where ever it may be. Can I get a hand? Anybody know of an estate sale or a 500C sitting on the side of the road? My best!! Ken

I am in need of a Fisher 500C for my initial trip into tube amps for my Heresy main set. The trouble is, for some reason, since the Stereophile review, everyones wants far too much money for items that are usually not in shape for regular use. The converse; those that have refurb units want a MINT. I have been searching for sometime all the usual suspects (Craig's List, E-Bay, etc.), and can't cover enough ground. The Forum has been so nice for so long, I want to ask to "use" the resources to at least identify this missing amp where ever it may be. Can I get a hand? Anybody know of an estate sale or a 500C sitting on the side of the road? My best!! Ken

I haven't watched the Fisher receivers for a while. How much is "a mint" these days? It's always expensive to have a professional refurb these types of units. It's usually well worth it. Sometimes you get lucky and an the old beast will still sound good but usually, they sound pretty muddy until they are looked at by someone who knows how restore them.

You might try looking for a Scott 222C or 299? I forget the exact model numbers. No stereophile review, hence less hype. But I think people here on the forum really like these integrated amps. More than the Fishers from what I can tell. There are wonderful matching Scott tuners for these models too.

Do you regularly check all those Craigslist sites?  Or, do you have a way of checking multiple Craigslist sites with one search (other than, say, a Google search of "Fisher 500c Craigslist" (which would yield more than just current offerings)?  It'd be nice if Craigslist had a "search all of Craigslist" button...

Ken, I've a spare 500C which I'd probably move out for about $250 but quite frankly it's the wrong way to go. Unless you can rebuild one of these, or pay to have it done, you are going to be disappointed in the sound. Plus there are safety considerations. All of these units have a selenium rectifier which is bound to go up in smoke at almost anytime.

Trust me on this. I've had three 500C's in my house, they all sounded the same, great potential, but in need of work. Find one with a good recap and safety job including new power supply caps, re-tubed or at least power tubes replaced and pay up to $600. You'll be spending at least $400 on a class rebuild job but otherwise you will listen for a bit and put it on the shelf menaing to get it fixed up sooner or later. There's people here who can tell you in a minute,, if you can provide an underside photo if the work was well done.

From hard won experience, if you buy 50 year old gear without a set-aside budget for a re-build ultimately you're not going to be happy.

Thanks again Thebes, and Harry. I agree and understand your point. I guess I'm just selfish enough to want the $600 refurb for $250.

One other point - if "everything" that makes a 500C a 500C is replaced, including caps and power tubes, is it still a 500C? Will I hear the golden voice of the past that all including 6Moons and Stereophile rave about? I understand (and am not a little scared) of the idea of a potential fire hazard. Would you not be better off getting a new product than a rebuilt one; so rebuilt it only bears the nameplate?

Thanks millions - sorry for the ramble. Ken

Valid or not, I have no idea; but it would stand to reason that a used "new" piece of equipment would be at least safer than a vintage piece. Additionally, less work would be necessary to arrive at "everyday" status. At some point, you quible over timbre; but cost effectiveness has to have some part in any discussion about vintage - especially the estate ebay vintage. I see everyday descriptions which start with "great shape" and the like, and then the two foggy pictures clearly show all manner of problems. The seller then quotes recent sale prices of the item, comparing his beater to pristine "old lady on Sunday" pieces, or completely redone, cared for by audiophile examples. My question remains - if the great new "used" piece and the vintage piece are the same price; which do you purchase? Ken

It's your money so purchase what you want.

I've got new, newer used, vintage, and vintage restored. They all have their good points. New may cost more sometimes but not sound better. Used may not be less money considering what it costs to bring it up to specs. Properly done you will NOT lose the vintage sound on a recap or restore unless the rebuilder makes it that way. There are many parts available to match the sound properties of the vintage gear. The good builders know what to use. Talk with the builder to make sure you are both on the same page when rebuilding.

Buying on Ebay or Agon may be a crapshoot and I avoid it like the clap when/if at all possible. If I'm buying used I can usually depend on an honest description from our regular forum members. I'll buy here first for what I want. I buy Ebay if I am looking for price over quality.

We have some good builders of new amps and preamps on the forum here. Sometimes the costs may seem a bit much at first but I've found them to be very good value considering the years of trouble free service they can deliver.

Buy what you want regardless of someone else's market value. I buy what I want to listen to. I consider costs in useage instead of a value placed on a similar item that has previously sold. The bargain is in the pleasure of your wants being fulfilled. It's your money. Get what you want. The real value is in the pleasure.

Harry

Well put - it should be a default that anyone involved in the audio hobby obviously prizes pleasure over money (though I admit that I always have to run purchases past my wife).

I think, as a novice "owner" with well trained ears, that I "want" the Fisher. Like many, if it doens't live up to expectations, I can just send it to the next person. I love the idea of tubes running my Heresys. I'll keep looking.

At least in audio, you don't have to wear funny golf pants.

yes, that had received extensive restorations. As explained very well above, some was necessary just for safety; however, after VAST part exchange, is what's left remotely similar to the sound that is being reviewed/bragged about.

the reviewer is selling one of the units that has been almost completely rebuilt for $650. He had to do some more work after a buyer returned the unit and did not pack well.

K

Do you regularly check all those Craigslist sites? Or, do you have a way of checking multiple Craigslist sites with one search (other than, say, a Google search of "Fisher 500c Craigslist" (which would yield more than just current offerings)? It'd be nice if Craigslist had a "search all of Craigslist" button...

First learned about this service/site here at Klipsch Forums, so I think its' appropriate that I re-share:

http://crazedlist.org/

Read the note about Internet Explorer compatibility, and how to set up firefox to work "correctly" at CrazedList.

Thanks much Kaiser!

I've gotten a few GREAT pieces from Audiogon or Forum members. I got a great set of Heresys from a guy in Mountain Home I learned about from Craig's List. I haven't yet dealt with the reviewer, though his piece was originally advertised on Audiogon. I trust the unit is exactly as he advertises - I'm just not sure if I'll want it after paying $650 (admitting that this is not much in comparison, but a lot for me for a piece I have not heard.) I guess I can always resell it, but I don't really want to get into the business - I just want to listen to music through tubes (I think?).

With that last statement about listening to tubes I would trust something like a much newer used ASL MG-S115Dt Inty as I have seen them running $300.00 to $350.00 out on A-goN and you would not have to worry about sending out for refurb but that's JMO kd[;)]

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1195474209 As you can see you need a fast trigger finger[:o]