Miracord 50H Mark II - Good Price?

dkalsi

I remember reading that at least one of the forum members (maybe PMSummer) here really likes the Miracord turntables.

I have someone local selling me a Mirocord 50H Mark II for $150 - which seems like a steep price to me.

Wanted to find out what the consensus of what should be the price of this unit. Please let me know what you guys think. They don't seem to be going that expensive on e-bay.

This units appears to be in really good condition.

Thanks

I spoke the guy about the current e-bay prices and he has decided to let me have it for $75 - which includes cover and once again, is in great condition - any thoughts please?

$75 is much better than $150. I think it's a decent record changer, not going to harm your records and should give a pleasing sound. The quality of the sound sort of depends on what you're used to. Do you have a turntable now?

Scott,

Never had a turntable before - this is going to be more for learning experience. Its just that someone here at the forums mentioned the Miracord being pretty good. Right now I am not used to any time of sound (in terms on turntables that is). Thanks

Awesome. I'll bet you enjoy vinyl. Just do a little research on proper turntable set up and make sure you play clean records and I think you be impressed with how good a nice old lp can sound. There are thousands of ways to clean your records. Don't get too caught up in the details at first, just set up, find some good used vinyl and start playing.

I totally agree with Scott, and start out being picky about the condition of the vinyl you buy, a great experience can easily be marred by bad quality or abused records, you'll soon realise what i mean when you come across that one certain Lp that just has " that sound ". Thrift stores are loaded with records and it's real tempting to buy everything and anything. Enjoy....

Don't get discouraged when you find a really nice copy of Led Zeppelin II or something similiar at your local thrift shop and get it home only to find out it sounds horrible. Not all LPs (especially classic rock from the 60s/70s) were well recorded. Many will never sound as good as the remastered CDs but the ones that DO sound great will be very pleasing to your ears.

Good luck and have fun.

Very true Gary, also the opposite can be the case. I'm a big fan of Bruce Springsteen but i find the sound of his cd's to be less than stellar, last week i came upon a stash of six early MINT Lp's. This find has been a real eye-opener as to the quality of the two formats, i'm now on the hunt for all of Springsteen's vinyl.[:)]

Wooden base (I've been told you can't call it a plinth unless you spend $1000) and plastic dust cover? $75 is a good price considering there's no shipping involved (and vintage decks don't ship well).

The ELAC decks are under appreciated (mainly due to their chunky architecture), but they sound good, and are very well built. They are a great example of an idler wheel deck. I use mine mostly as a single play, but will change out the spindle and stack some discs just to irritate some of my audiophile friends every so often.

What cartridge is on it? Seems as though the 50 had anti-skating.

It's a wonderful, classic, deck, and a good example of German engineering and craftsmanship at a BARGAIN price.

TOTL deck? No, but as good/better than almost all Duals and Garrards of the same era, and built better too.

Very true Gary, also the opposite can be the case. I'm a big fan of Bruce Springsteen but i find the sound of his cd's to be less than stellar, last week i came upon a stash of six early MINT Lp's. This find has been a real eye-opener as to the quality of the two formats, i'm now on the hunt for all of Springsteen's vinyl.[:)]

OE,

I find nice Springsteen LPs at the thrift shops all the time. I either pass on them or offer them up here since I'm not a fan. Seems I keep finding copies of that live box set. Next time I come across some, I'll grab them for you. I have a nice copy of Born To Run, the only BS LP I'll ever listen to.

You just never know how an LP (or CD) will sound until you play it. I have hundreds I've listened to only once because they sound so bad. Quite a shame. Even some of the really expensive Japanese pressings sound thin and lifeless IMO.

I have a nice copy of Born To Run, the only BS LP I'll ever listen to.

Unfortunately, that is the worst recorded BS album on the market. As much as I love the music on that album I just can't play it anymore. Bruce was livid when he heard the final product of that album (from what I read). Having said that his first 2 albums are great recordings, especially The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle. I strongly recommend you pick this one up and play side 2 in its entirety. Darkness on the Edge of town is another very good album.

Mike

I have a nice copy of Born To Run, the only BS LP I'll ever listen to.

Unfortunately, that is the worst recorded BS album on the market. As much as I love the music on that album I just can't play it anymore. Bruce was livid when he heard the final product of that album (from what I read). Having said that his first 2 albums are great recordings, especially The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle. I strongly recommend you pick this one up and play side 2 in its entirety. Darkness on the Edge of town is another very good album.

Mike

To each his own I suppose. When I say "listen to" I mean the title song only. It's the only song of his I like, period. I just dislike his voice and could NEVER listen to an entire album side. I'd rather listen to The Partiridge Family or The Archies.[+o(] No disrespect meant. Some folks think most jazz is just random horn blowing![;)]