Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 1

thebes

Don't worry OB I wasn't deserting the ship and thanks OT for putting up last week's thread.

I was off to the Outer Banks, a desperate last grasp at the feeling of summer before the shorts get turned in for long pants. Great weather, great friends and decent sound thanks to my hauling the Promedia's along.

We had music playing very night last week. I was just using tried and true stuff so this weeks recommendation is kinda lame but I sure do like the music, even if several of my friends at the beach weren't so wowed.

The Drifters, "The Very Best of", cd, pop

If you are of a certain age nothing says summer like the soulful melodies of the Drifters. Man did these guys have a string of hits: "There goes my Baby", "Dance With Me", "This Magic Moment", "Up On The Roof", "Under the Boardwalk", "On Broadway", and of course, the perfect beach song: "I've Got Sand In My Shoes".

Caution: recording quality sucks but their spirit and harmonies still shine through.

So what do you have to share this week?

• Moderators

Ok TheBes I do have one for you for your return back. Some friends were listening to some of her songs a couple of weeks ago and made me realize I needed some music from her !

Bonnie Raitt and friends is the name of the CD, "Classic presents decades rock live" by Capitol .

It was taped September 30, 2005 at Trump Taj Mahal, Atlantic City NJ.

Don't forget this is a " Live " recording for those who may or may not like the audience noise after a song ? " sometimes distracting "

She does 11 songs on the CD which has some " friends " sing with her on a few of the songs, Nora Jones, Ben Harper, Alison Krauss & Keb 'Mo'.

Also for the multi channel people you get it both ways, it also comes with a good DVD, I like both myself depending on the mood ! [:P]

The DVD which has the same songs plus a few extra songs looks and sounds really good, better than expected packaged in a CD, could have been sold in the DVD concert form seperate, which may have seen more exposure in the store packaged that way . Also Interviews from everyone preforming is nice to have if you like that kind of stuff ?

Bonnie Raitt is someone who has been around for a long time, I had always liked her music but for some reason never had a copy of anything she had done ?

• Moderators

Thought of another old one for you, because you said the Drifters.

I had found this one, and thinking well I will take a chance because some older music like this is recorded terrible from the few I have tried. But it says Digitally Remastered by Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd &Arif Mardin ? Who ever they are they did a good job on this one !

This is a very good recording, The very best of Aretha Franklin, The 60's

Rhino label 1994

Respect, Chain of fools, Natural Woman, Ain't no way, Think, Say a little prayer, and 10 more you will like just as much !

So if you feel like 60's this is a very good recording of some really good music, TheBes and the Twins will like this one! [*]

Both great calls Dtel. For some reason a lot of people don't like her but I consider Bonnie to be a fabulous artist and I'd love to hear here doing a duet with Keb Mo one of my favorite artists. If you don't have it get "Luck of the Draw".

Aretha! It doesn't get any better.

image.jpg

OK it is October and my favorite holiday is this month haloween.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins has been one of my faves for a long time. He had a wicked sense of humor, great stage presence, and was a tremendous writer.

16302.jpg

I put a spell on you and constipation blues are my favorite songs by him but I like several of his records. He has been sorely missed. Haloween just isn't the same without him.

Check out this amazing performance. Genius.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z29qN9Gooj8

That's right, it's Haloween month, so that means Thebes gets a "TRICK" or a "TREAT"......hmmmm, which shall it be?[:D]

Let's start coming up w/Haloween themes shall we? My favorite "THRILLER" is brought to you by MICHAEL JACKSON w/Vincent Price laughing at the end. Say what you will, but there was a day when Michael actually put out some decent material.

http://www.michaeljackson.com/

Still not listening much, too much going on here, but have watched a few DVD's...............

THE BLACK CROWES : FREAK AND ROLL...............DVD...............Pretty good Black Crowes, I think it starts out slow but picks-up speed as it goes. There are songs I don't care for, but some that Kick Butt ,Crowes style. This in my opinion, is good Black Crowes, Loud, 70's style, dual Guitar, whiskey soaked BLUES, that only the Crowes could pull off. Horn Section, back-up singers on many songs, a couple of unplugged type songs, then The Black Crowes alone on stage doing what they do best....Not for everyone, but I like it............give it a try, you just might like it..............basically, Good Ol' Rock n' Roll...............The Black Crowes have never reached the top, nor, will they ever, but they are good, and well worth a listen, or two...............

I was watching Johnny Carson one halloween night many years ago. The guests were this volumptous woman, a very cuite and petite woman dressed as a gymnist, and Screamin' Jay. I don't know what the woman did, but the gymnist put herself in a box and blew herself up, and then there was Screamin' Jay. It was freak night, I guess. So the guests were talking to Johnny and the gymnist said something about herself as compared to the woman who was stacked. Screamin' Jay looked her up and down and said, dressed in his undertaker suit, in a very deep distinguished voice, "Honey, you ain't got nothing to be ashamed of." I thought it was the funniest thing. I had jet lag and had copped a buzz. Anyway, Jay's performance was this. Stage hands wheeled out a coffin, the music started and out of the coffin sprang Jay and he sang I Put a Spell on You, complete with flash powder and with Henry smoking a cigarette. He was playing piano and the flash powder got a little out of control and Jay said "don't want to pull a Michael Jackson here" as this was about the time Jackson caught his hair on fire filming a commercial. It was a great performance. I had never seen anything like him before. My recommendations are...

I Put a Spell on You, Frenzy, Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby, Ice Cream Man (by Tom Waitts), Heart Attack and Vine (also by Waitts), Yellow Coat and Orange Colored Sky. The CD Voodoo Jive is a good place to start.

I was watching Johnny Carson one halloween night many years ago.  The guests were this volumptous woman, a very cuite and petite woman dressed as a gymnist, and Screamin' Jay.  I don't know what the woman did, but the gymnist put herself in a box and blew herself up, and then there was Screamin' Jay.  It was freak night, I guess.  So the guests were talking to Johnny and the gymnist said something about herself as compared to the woman who was stacked.  Screamin' Jay looked her up and down and said, dressed in his undertaker suit, in a very deep distinguished voice, "Honey, you ain't got nothing to be ashamed of."  I thought it was the funniest thing.  I had jet lag and had copped a buzz.  Anyway, Jay's performance was this.  Stage hands wheeled out a coffin, the music started and out of the coffin sprang Jay and he sang I Put a Spell on You, complete with flash powder and with Henry smoking a cigarette.  He was playing piano and the flash powder got a little out of control and Jay said "don't want to pull a Michael Jackson here" as this was about the time Jackson caught his hair on fire filming a commercial.  It was a great performance.  I had never seen anything like him before.  My recommendations are...

I Put a Spell on You, Frenzy,  Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby,  Ice Cream Man (by Tom Waitts), Heart Attack and Vine (also by Waitts), Yellow Coat and Orange Colored Sky.  The CD Voodoo Jive is a good place to start.

I saw the same Carson show. It was one of my favorites. Tom Waitts is a genius. One of my favorites Waitts song is Cole Porters All Right By Me.