Klipsch At The Soccer Field - Marketing Potential?

BLSamuel

My family attended a Purdue women's soccer game this past Sunday (not really a Purdue fan) but the Purdue women are having a very good year.

The PA used 8 Klipsch outdoor speakers on the field in use, 4 at the press box accross the field, 2 on a pole on either end of the bleachers and I think the same arrangement for the other field.

The sound was really good for such small speakers in a large outdoor space. I couldn't read the model number but am guessing AW 650 size wise or maybe AW 525 or KHO 7. Black enclosures, approximately 12 - 16" in height. The sound did get kind of garbled when the announcer would yell into the microphone - sounded like the microphone and/or preamp was overloaded to me but sounded really good otherwise - don't they listen to themselves?

I remember reading a post a few weeks ago about someone looking for some used industrial La Scalas for his daughter's high school field. Now that'd be cool. My daughter's high school actually finally built a press box with a servicable PA this spring but kind of smallish (Community?) speakers, 2 per field that work ok for voice announcements but are really puny on music, very easily overloaded in the bass on the The Star Spangled Banner at a rather low level. Hope he found them something. Good tunes at the soccer field improves the experience and can help get the crowd fired up.

A thought for potential marketing would be to supply the speakers and maybe electronics at such venues. I'm not sure how much advertising is allowed at NCAA events, but for the "lesser" (non-revenue generating) sports, I'm sure many athletic departments would welcome a way to improve their facilities in exchange for some PR, maybe a banner or sign or two (if allowed) or ad in the program). These events don't draw huge crowds, maybe several hundred?, but some students do attend and they're pretty rabid fans. Could maybe even give away a Klipsch product now and then.

And if Klipsch ever wants to try out some outdoor speakers, I'll volunteer my daughters' high school. Those anemic speakers at our soccer fields just don't do much for getting the crowd pumped up. I'm afraid to ask how much they spent on the sound....

Colterphoto1 hit the nail on the head. We don't take soccer very seriously in this country so probably shouldn't expect a serious PA installation, even at a Big Ten university soccer complex. I suspect it is also possible that they do have a compressor/limiter on the announcer mic that is set wrong.

Things sounded great otherwise. They didn't seem to be pushing the volume too much during the music. Loud enough to hear but able to converse with the other spectators and fans. I was pleasantly surprised to see they were using Klipsch speakers. I pay attention to things like that and have for years, long before I joined the madness here.

I have heard of nanatorium (swimming) facilities using our CA-xxT speakers for crowd PA. A friend who's daughters are on swim teams say that the Klipsch systems have far more intelligibility than any of the others they have heard.

Isn't that natatorium? (These big multi syllable words give me trouble. Nanatorium - sounds like a place my daughters' Nana belongs.)

They had a small pair of B***, the real little ones with the single 4" or so driver B*** seems to use a lot of different confiburations, in use at my daughter's high school soccer game last night. I missed the National Anthem so can't really comment on the music, but they sounded really puny as PA speakers. I've never been disappointed with the sound I've heard from Klipsch speakers.

It all goes back to the principles behind Klipsch speakers:

Paul W. Klipsch believed these four principles to be the foundation for great sound: high efficiency, dynamic range, controlled directivity and flat frequency response. These principles continue to drive the design of every new Klipsch speaker, today and tomorrow.

Any speaker that meets these criteria is going to sound great no matter the application.

Interestingly enough, they have installed KLIPSCH in our NEW local theatre, and VERY NICE! I believe they used the Heritage Heresy III's (about 12 from what I counted)

If they are a slanted cabinet that looks like a Heresy complement of components, they are KPT-250.