Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 8

thebes

So people are starting to get a little spooky as Halloween approaches. They want a little music to scare the trick and treaters with do they?

Well you've come to the right place because good old Thebes has just what you want.

First up: The Robert Cobert Orchestra,"Dark Shadows Original TV Music" , lp, soundtrack. A mid-'80's soap opera that ws quite a hit for awhile. It was sorta like Frankenstein does a really bad soap.The music, though, was dark and scary and this lp also includes the most popular tune: "Quentin's Theme".

Sure to provide just the right mood for a Halloween party.

Oh and if you want some scary stories to amuse people they are posted Here.

post-14801-13819348828708_thumb.jpg

I'm not done yet.

Pickwick Records presents "Sounds to Make You Shiver" in bloodcurdling, terror, horror stereo. A special effects album it has sounds like banging shutters, creaky doors, a hooting owl, witch laugh and much, much more.

I'm scared already but you're welcome to try to really get me going with your own selections.

post-14801-13819348828948_thumb.jpg

I'm going to post some of my favorites from the "Dark Ambient" genre. This is going to be some VERY evil-sounding stuff with LOTS of low bass and all-around spookiness.

lustmord.jpg

Lustmord-Heresy CD. The one that got me into all this evil dark ambient. He's really a nice guy though. He's worked with Graeme Revell on many movie soundtracks as well.

2397.jpg

Robert Rich & Lustmord-Stalker CD. Hearts Of Space/Fathom Records. Fathom is the evil sub-label of Hearts Of Space. All the dark stuff used to be released on it. This is a GREAT one to test your system. This is a reimagined soundtrack to the Tarkovsky film Stalker. SCARY stuff! Lustmord is considered the father of the dark ambient movement so this probably won't be the last one from him. By the way he is a stereo nut as well and is a studio perfectionist. In fact he uses giant Dunlavy speakers as his monitors in his studio.

1684.JPG

I just couldn't leave this one out. Lustmord-The Monstrous Soul CD. TOTALLY evil! In fact the album starts with an old man's voice repeating "It is the night of the demon" over and over with disturbing sounds layering and layering over the top. All of that along with house-moving boombastic sub-bass explosions every 10 seconds or so. This is one I play every Halloween.

This band produced the very first punk record in England and I have always like them.

THE DAMNED

Damned_rosef.jpg

English punk rock and gothic rock band formed in London in 1976. They were the first punk band from England to release a single ("New Rose"), put out an album (Damned Damned Damned), and tour the United States. They are also considered a foundational influence on both hardcore punk and gothic rock.

The Damned have incorporated many different styles into their music and image; such as garage rock, psychedelic rock, cabaret and the theatrical rock of Screaming Lord Sutch and Alex Harvey. Vanian's vocal style has been described as similar to a crooner, which is unusual for a punk rock vocalist. Throughout their history, The Damned have dissolved and reformed many times, with singer Dave Vanian as the sole constant member. However, the lineups have always included either guitarist Captain Sensible and/or drummer Rat Scabies, both founding members. The line-up currently includes original members Vanian and Sensible.

American drummer Jeff Nelson described the Damned as "The Beatles of punk" -- a testament to their versatility and influence.

3268829.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=10276

This punk rock band is right up their with The Clash and Siouxsie. The music was more inventive and funny than most of the punk rock scene in England at the time. Video Nasty is still one of my favorite songs.

This seems to be right up the alley, with some pretty dark themes and motifs. Not only that, but this is just such an all-around totally kick-butt album. Yes, I am talking about Nigthwish's brand-spanking-new album that only came out a couple weeks ago:

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play:

51L1SGSSNnL._AA240_.jpg

I highly recommend giving this one a try, especially if you are into the epic sounding symphonic gothic/power metal.

Bret...not sure if you realize this but Lustmord did sound design for the Underworld Soundtrack score. If you're listening to the score that Paul Haslinger(ex Tangerine Dream) did then you're basically listening to Lustmord as well. I'm not talking about the soundtrack with all the regular songs though.

Bret...not sure if you realize this but Lustmord did sound design for the Underworld Soundtrack score. If you're listening to the score that Paul Haslinger(ex Tangerine Dream) did then you're basically listening to Lustmord as well. I'm not talking about the soundtrack with all the regular songs though.

I did not know that. But after listening to the samples on Amazon I am not surprised.

The Lustmord samples seem pretty relaxing to me. I am going to check out some of his stuff.

I was referring to the Underworld music soundtrack, specifically the Renholder tracks. I think this album is good overall as well.

Ya know, I think this is a pretty good thread we got going here appropriate to the time of the year so I'm inclined tokeep it going for another week. Besides it gives everybody a break from coming up with something.

So let's let this go for another week even though I have a very nice selection lined up.