Chorus II Tweeter dead

roozy

Howdy, I've had my Chorus II's brand new since 1992. One of the tweeters has stopped working. Just looking for any input on possible causes, repair costs or ease of self repair. No obvious indications of loose connections or broken wires inside. What kind of voltage and or resistance readings should I get at the crossover or tweeter. Guess I could dig into the other speaker and take some readings. Thanks.

I believe replacement diaphragms are about $30 each, but you might consider replacing the ones in both tweeters because I don't believe Kilpsch sells the textile diaphragms (like your speakers likely have) anymore so you have to get the poly ones. I suggest swapping the tweeters in the speakers and if the problem follows the tweeter then you know its the problem, else if the problem stays with the same speaker then it's likely the crossover. My money is on the tweeter, though. You can call 1-800-KLIPSCH and get the parts you need.

I replaced a diaphragm in the tweeter of my e-Bay Quartets. I obtained the diaphragm from Klipsch. It came with installation instructions which had been through a copier more than it needed. It is attached.

Installation is easy, with three (?) bolts on the horn driver.

I assume your motor board and horn interface is similar to mine in that the Chorus is the big brother to the Quartet. The motor board is made of MDF. Once the horn was out I put some superglue on the screw holes (and let it dry) just to harden up the MDF before putting the horn back in.

It is a good idea to make note of which wire goes where on the horn driver when you take it out. Then use some masking tape to hold the loose end of wires to the motherboard so they don't fall back in the box. The connectors are just automotive type push on devices. No soldering.

I should have taken pictures when I did it. Maybe you can post some pix as an education for others.

WMcD

Tweeter Diaphragm Replacement.pdf

Thanks all for the input..... Dead tweeter open, good tweeter 8.4 ohms. Good tweeter works in other speaker. $59.68 to replace both diaphragms as they ARE poly. About 2 weeks turnaround. Piece of cake to make the repair. Thanks again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Horn-PAIR-K-79-K-Tweeter_W0QQitemZ250176284782QQihZ015QQcategoryZ137944QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ask seller...may be the original type diaphragm. I purchased a pair of these a couple of years ago from auction...they were the original type (phenolic sp) Kept as spairs.

GREAT speakers!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...