Heresy speaker wire hookups

scottv

Hello All, I have a pair of '68 Heresy's and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with switching out the speaker wire jacks on the back. I have monster cable and it seems a bit crowded, and was curious if anyone had updated the hookups to fit plug in style wire fittings. Thanks much, Scott

The factory binding post barrier strip screws "stick out" about 1/2 to 3/4 inch (it's the length of the "bolts"). That has no effect on sound (unless there is a loose wire, or worse, strands from one touch another). The wires from the posts to the crossover, as you probably have noticed, are already crimped on the two connectors. Is there any real advantage to swapping? Not really, except the factory barrier strip requires either a "little circle" connector, or a "Little fork" connector. You can connect the speakers to the amps by simply twisting the wire and hoping no strands get loose (bad way to do it). But since you are going to use Monster cable, using a good quality binding post as others have suggested, would be a good way to go. First of all, you can insert the thicker wire much more easily, etc. That the binding post screws "stick" out on the inside of the rear panel is of no consequence. Sonically.... no difference should be noted (unless the originals were badly oxidized resulting in a bad contact surface). Hope that helps.

Just a thought...

The 'connected' banana jacks such as illustrated in DaddyDees post offer a few very handy advantages over the individual jacks.

Why? Because the connected jacks are perfectly spaced to accommodate the dual banana plugs. The advantage to these over the individual banana plug connectors is that when disconnected they do not short together (as is normal for the individual plugs!!!)

And unless you are running a Crown, not too many amps appreciate a dead short load! Its convenient and cheap insurance!

Thanks for the offer, but my posts are about 1\2 to 3\4" long. Do you think doing this would improve the sound?

No, won't improve the sound. Once a connection is adequate to carry the signal, having more than adequate won't help. I've heard a Klipsch engineer make the case that a bare wire connection is "better" than anything else. Of course, real world, no sonic difference.

The banana plug is just a matter of convenience. And oh yeh, they look cool, too.