Placement REALLY is everything

monti23

recently i went from a 10 inch sub to two 8 inch subs..one Klipsch RW 8 and the other Velodyne DSL series. I was hard pressed for the abselute best sound i could get and situating these two subs around the living room around for a week was really wearing me out trying to get it perfect. But today i finally hit the sweet spot and WOW do these things play wonderful side by side..Im learning more and more how placement and setup are huge factors for achieving the ultimate sound in ur living space..for me they fit perfectly side by side in front of the right channel only a foot apart away from each other...Mains set to half output subs set to full output cut to 80 hz with mains set to large..its odd thought..just a foot back away from the right main and it didnt sound as good.....Just thought id share this with u guys...heres a nice pic for u ......Monty

post-28324-13819349055058_thumb.jpg

I moved my SVS a couple feet to the right after watching Transformers because it just didn't seem to be pounding as hard as I thought it would with that movie. Man did that really wake up the bass in my listening position!

How is the rest of your room laid out? Do you have to put the subs in front of your right speaker like that? Reason I ask is that many people with two subs have had great success stacking one on top of the other and obviously if you were to try that it would block the sound coming from your right speaker.

Have you tried placing the subwoofer that's on the right in the picture right next to the subwoofer on the left? If not, give it a try and see what you think.

wuzzzer, yes i tried moving the RW-8 on top of the velodyne. I too had heard ppl talking about that..Although It didnt sound good at all, as a matter of fact it was boomy. Maybe because its front firing or maybe because its only got a 275 watt amp I dont know. It wasnt the deep sounding bass i was looking for. I tried across the room, next to me on the couch with the Velodyne next to the right speaker . what i noticed was I could hear the sub next to the couch a little better than the velodyne sub, it wasnt blending in the way i wanted it too. Then I tried both of them directly across from each other...one in front of both speakers..That wasnt too bad.. BUt im getting a Much better hard hitting bass with the two of them side by side..go figure i dunno why.

What i can tell u is..if u are in front of my system when my denon is playing Deep cut classic rock from sirius satelitte on direct mode...You would think im running a high powered 2000 watt 10 inch driver or a sub 12

post-28324-13819349062858_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to put the subs in front of your right speaker like that? Reason I ask is that many people with two subs have had great success stacking one on top of the other and obviously if you were to try that it would block the sound coming from your right speaker.

Have you tried placing the subwoofer that's on the right in the picture right next to the subwoofer on the left? If not, give it a try and see what you think.

Or, why not try stacking the subs where the sub on the right is? That way, nothing blocks the right speaker.

Try setting your receiver to Sub setting SWRF.........sub woofer right front

His Denon doesn't have that setting. And it's not 'SWRF' and it doesn't stand for 'subwoofer right front'. It's 'SWFR' and it simply stands for 'subwoofer'. What is it you are trying to get him to set his subwoofer to do?

Denon has an 'LFE+Main' setting for use when your front speakers are set to LARGE that will duplicate the bass info from the LARGE front channels that is below the receiver's crossover setting and send it to the subwoofer along with the LFE channel info and any low-frequency info below the receiver's crossover setting from any channels that are set to SMALL. The corresponding Yamaha setting to that would be 'BOTH'. The Yamaha's 'SWFR' setting sends only the LFE channel and the low-frequency info that is below the receiver's crossover setting from any channels that are set to SMALL to the subwoofer.

Yamaha's Bass Scheme Possibilities:

Posted Image

Why does his website resize pictures correctly the first time you view them yet every subsequent time you view them they're not resized?

Pics are too big, btw!

Works fine for me - resizes them down automagically all the time. Click on it for bigger.

And too big? No way... if it's too big, your connection's too slow and your monitor is at too low of a resolution :) (aka - if it's too loud, your're too old)

Run your computer into you HDTV... 1920x1080 computer monitor ftw :)

Posted Image

Why does his website resize pictures correctly the first time you view them yet every subsequent time you view them they're not resized?

Pics are too big, btw!

Works fine for me - resizes them down automagically all the time. Click on it for bigger.

And too big? No way... if it's too big, your connection's too slow and your monitor is at too low of a resolution :) (aka - if it's too loud, your're too old)

Run your computer into you HDTV... 1920x1080 computer monitor ftw :)

Posted Image

It resizes them properly for me, too, but it first downloads them and displays them full-size before resizing them. And then, if I subsequently visit the thread, it displays them full-size. My connection is very fast; it's Klipsch's website that's very slow for me.

The default setting in Windows is to resize big pics that you encounter online and via email, btw, so if you are using that default setting, then it may be Windows that's resizing them properly for you and not the website. I have this setting turned off so that online pics and email pics are displayed in their 'true' size.

The first picture the OP posted in this thread is 1.9mb and 2592 x 1952 pixels; the second picture is 1.83mb and the same pixel size. That's too big to be posting on websites. It's just common courtesy. There ARE people who DO have slow connections. Resized or not, that's what size picture has to be downloaded. That's almost 4mb worth right there, which will be a pretty long wait for anyone with a less than ideal connection.

And those pixel sizes are ridiculous, anyway. You'd need a much bigger monitor than even yours to see that whole picture in its 'true' size. Irfanview is a great free proggy for easily manipulating your photos, including resizing, btw, monti23.

Strangely, the first time I visited this thread, the first pic was showing up full-size and the second pic was resized. Now, while I am editing this post, both are showing up resized. THis is how the website behaves for me. Sometimes resized, sometimes not.

LOL, I went to another post, came back to this one, and the first pic is displaying full-size again, the second one is resized.

Oh, well. C'est La Vie. I can certainly think of worse things to be concerned about.

They load full size for me too, then re-size once they are loaded. Sorry, I mis-understood the question.

As for an answer - well - I guess IE/FF would need to know what it is dealing with first, before it can downscale it.

+1 on infranview - xnview can do it too - in batches :D