Any new Music DVDs people have come across lately?

Cut-Throat

There have been a few great threads here discussing music DVDs and I have gotten some great tips from them. I was wondering if anyone has heard/seen any new Music DVDs that they would like to recommend? My personal criteria is Great Audio first and then great video.

My favorites thus far are.

1.) Alison Kraus + Union Station Live

2.) Eagles - Farewell Reunion I

3.) Diana Krall - LIve in Paris

4.) Stevie Ray Vaughn - Double Trouble

5.) Steely Dan - Two against Nature

I've got a lot of others that IMHO don't measure up to the above 5 such as ( Crossroad Guitar Fest. - Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac - The Dance, All Rolling Stones, ELO - Zoom, Bee Gees - Just one night, Peter Frampton - Live in Detroit (very good though) , Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd) - I've got a Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live that I'll give someone if they show up at my house. Simply Awful IMHO

I have a couple of suggestions for you that I personally enjoy greatly. One of them is actually a movie, but the "special features" section features a cut-out of all of the audio tracks. That movie is titled, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and is about the Funk Brothers and all of the hits they played for various artists. I believe the audio is 6.1 and seems to be pretty good. You can pick it up used via Amazon for $4.16 (plus shipping, I would assume). Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Shadows-Motown-Richard-Pistol/dp/B00008J2HC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9653957-5376935?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193183340&sr=8-1

The other is, Heart, Alive in Seattle, all-in-all worth a listen/watch. I would say that the audio is not quite up there with the concert dvd's by the Eagles, but not a tremendous step back either.

I own the Diana Krall dvd listed above and notice the piano playing from the surround speakers, much like the brass on the Eagles dvd. I bought it on a recomendation and don't care much for her music, but the mix seems pretty good, other than the piano playing behind me. (Is is just me that hears this?)

Oh yeah, I really enjoy Sarah McGlachlan's, "Afterglow Live," which also contains a cd (with somewhat fewer tracks). Now that audio is right up there, IMHO. Very nice, crystal clear and quite dynamic.

-David

This one is older and classical, but I think it's beautiful and one of the great works of all time: Vespers of the Blessed Virgin by Monteverdi, by the Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, and early Baroque period instruments (recorders, dulcian, cornetts and narrow-bore trombones, etc.) conducted by John Eliot Gardiner.

This is a stunning work IMO, filmed/videotaped in the glorious interior of 1000-year-old St. Mark's basilica in Venice. Vast stretches of gold-leaf mosaic.

Archiv DVD 073 035-9

Monteverdi - Vespro Della Beata Vergine / Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir

Larry

I've had this DVD for a few years but its rarely mentioned so I'll offer it up in case someone missed it. 'Concert for George' is a tribute to George Harrison held on the 1st anniversary of his passing. The show was put together by Eric Clapton and features some great musicians - all friends of George's. Ravi Shankar and his daughter, Anoushka start things off with a beautiful and intense set followed by the likes of Jeff Lynne (ELO) (who also does a great job handling the recording), Joe Brown, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Paul McCartney, the late Billy Preston among others - even Monty Python picks things up with 'The Lumberjack Song'. The list goes on and includes many familiar names  - of particular note is the haunting 'Beware of Darkness' beautifully rendered by Eric Clapton as well as his guitar work on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (he actually played lead on several Beatles' songs back in the day) and Tom Petty simply owns 'I Need You' (sadly missing from the theater release). Billy Preston practically steals the show with his version of 'My Sweet Lord' and where else will you see a duet on 'Something' featuring none other than Eric Clapton AND Paul McCartney (with Ringo on the drums no less)?

I hate to say it and I reserve the right to change my mind but I find these versions of George's work for the most part, better than the originals and the recording is so much better  - no comparison really. The love and respect for their departed friend is obvious and so well represented by the care these artists put into the event, you can still sense the magnitude of their loss - especially Eric's. Its an inspiring work and quite moving - my wife and I have seen the concert several times and she has yet to make it through once without tears. If you're not familiar with much of George Harrison's work, this is an excellent introduction and even if you are well-versed, this DVD still offers much to enjoy about this beautiful tribute. Hint - watch the entire concert (Disc 1) as the theatrical version has a lot of edits (some quite awkward) to fit the show into a movie format. 2 other favorites of mine are The Band's 'The Last Waltz' (Scorsese) and Talking Heads' 'Stop Making Sense' (Demme). Of course, if you're only interested in recent DVDs, I'd suggest Neil Young's 'Prairie Wind' - great stuff!

Have fun...

Cut: I own the 5 you list. These i've picked up in the last couple weeks are their equal in sound quality.

Billy Idol - VH1 Storeytellers

Matchbox 20 - Show

3 Doors Down - Away from the Sun

Paul McCartney - Red Square

Collective Soul - Home

Keith Sweat - Sweat Hotel

A documentary I enjoyed - Legend of Sun Records-similar to Shadows of Motown. Amazing the influence that Memphis studio had.

Cut: I own the 5 you list. These i've picked up in the last couple weeks are their equal in sound quality.

Billy Idol - VH1 Storeytellers

Matchbox 20 - Show

3 Doors Down - Away from the Sun

Paul McCartney - Red Square

Collective Soul - Home

Keith Sweat - Sweat Hotel

A documentary I enjoyed - Legend of Sun Records-similar to Shadows of Motown. Amazing the influence that Memphis studio had.

Arky-which audio version of the 3 Doors Down concert do you like the best?

-David

...(ahem,,, in case you didn't get it...Roger Water's 'In the Flesh'.....that's the real Pink deal)...

Some NEW Music DVD?....well....Yes!.....The 2007 release of Chick Corea's "The Ultimate Adventure".....A very high quality film of a concert in Barcelona, Spain with Chick's current band. The setting is photographically baroque....the music is intellectually pleasing....the emotional content is powerful...the use of classical Falminco dancers during the performance is....well....you just have to see it.....AND it stands well as just a great musical offering even if it wasn't a DVD...the best recommendation I can give it.

...dittos to Shadows of Motown, Diana Krall, Allison Krause, Stevie Ray.....Add Clapton's "Sessions for Robert J."...all not new...