tell tell signs of suspension issues on a cartridge ??????????

joessportster

First, you MUST be sure that your setup is correct, including correct tracking weight and anti-skating settings, leveling of the table or plinth, arm height/VTA, correct azimuth, etc. See http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm.

If those are OK, I think of the following:

The cantilever is not parallel with the groove it runs under (or runs over, if the cart is sitting with stylus pointing up)

The cantilever is bent or twisted

The cantilever bottoms or looks like it's about to, at correct stylus force

The stylus tracks poorly in the groove, i.e., it breaks up, especially in only moderate or soft passages

On listening to it, the frequency response sounds very uneven, e.g., is noticeably peaky or has an audible hole in the range

The last two points are the most critical for me. I've changed cartridges based on it not sounding right, but have seen a cartridge kept even though it had a funny-looking cantilever because it sounded and played fine. Both make sense AFAIAC.

What problem are you hearing or seeing?

First, take LarryC's advice. Good to reverify the set-up every so often even if no problems.

On most carts, when you change the stylus, you change the suspension element also. If you have a problem, I'd change the sylus and that will eliminate both the stylus and the suspension at the same time as an issue.

The only time I ever recollect a cart suspension problem was with a cart that had been stored for several years and the suspension of the stylus had dried out. New stylus solved the problem.

Larry's comments are right on the money. The cantelever on my Transfig. has been slightly bent for about 2 years now and the cart is oh so close to dragging on the LP although it is level from front to back. That said, it still plays as well if not better then the day I brought it home. I think a problem with the sound is the first clue, assuming setup is fine. Also, if you're wearing out records you might be having a problem although that would more likely be tied to a setup/alignment issue.

thanks guys, i am not having an issue, but i was looking at a used lyra cartridge, they were manufactured starting in 1995, and although the seller states it plays fine it is 10 years old (or at least it could be ) seller is supposed to be trying to date it via the serial number, i didnt want to buy a cartridge in the above 500 range without verifying suspension issues first, i looked on the net and found at least 1 post stating that a matching cart was dead due to suspension failure, (i know this is not a good indicator of issues because i dont know how that cart was treated) but i was hoping for some tell tell signs that may be spotted without actually having to buy it and find an issue then having to fight with the seller to get $$$$$$$$$$$ back

Joe

• Moderators

Joe,

I don't have the experience as others do on this, but just having gone through about 10 carts on deciding which one to purchase I do know that every manufacturer mounts their cantilever in a different fashion. Different length, angle relative to the cart, etc. I would think the only way you would be able to tell, by looking at an unmounted cartridge, is to have a reference to compare it to. The second this is that I have not heard of a cantilever wearing out before the diamond stylus does. I think what is more likely is that it is bent or twisted as mentioned by Larry above.

Travis

thanks for the input......................

seller seems stuck on his price, dont blame him but he should know how old the cart is, i read of a matching cart 10 years old dyeing due to suspension and other problems, and i dont want to buy a cart that may be 10 years old without KNOWING what it is i would get

Joe