Rega P3 Question

thewolf

It seems that a few people on this site have the Rega turntable. I just got one and hooked it up last night. I think there may be a problem with it. Bought the show room floor model, the guy said it was rarely used. When I turned it on the motor makes a terrible racket. Sounds like bearings rubbing. The motor spindle that comes up through the plinth is not centered in the plinth hole. It has been pushed to the far left. I'm suspecting that the noise could be the belt holder rubbing against the side of the plinth.

Question.....Is the P3 quiet when the platter is turning?

Thanks for the help,

Gary

I found the problem last night. The motor had shifted to the left somehow. I was able to un-stick the motor from the plinth and re-seat it where is should be. Fired it up......dead quiet. All is well....or is it? Should I be concerned that the motor took an unusual amount of force to move it?

Question for all you that bought the table new. Describe the layering sequence. Mine came as follows:

Box laying "this side up":

Bottom was the plinth

Moving up was the platter and felt mat in a card board folded envelope

On the top was the Plexi cover

I am wondering if the middle package containg the platter rested on the motor and in true UPS fashion, they stood the box on end and the weight of the platter pushed the motor out of alignment.

Any help and/or comments greatly appreciated.

Gary

I found the problem last night. The motor had shifted to the left somehow. I was able to un-stick the motor from the plinth and re-seat it where is should be. Fired it up......dead quiet. All is well....or is it? Should I be concerned that the motor took an unusual amount of force to move it?

Question for all you that bought the table new. Describe the layering sequence. Mine came as follows:

Box laying "this side up":

Bottom was the plinth

Moving up was the platter and felt mat in a card board folded envelope

On the top was the Plexi cover

I am wondering if the middle package containg the platter rested on the motor and in true UPS fashion, they stood the box on end and the weight of the platter pushed the motor out of alignment.

Any help and/or comments greatly appreciated.

Gary

I'll let you know next week.  I have a new one on it's way.