IMAGE vs. Custom-3

Kain

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

No one can answer for you-- it depends on what you value more personally.... comfort and ease of use, or sound quality? Both are very good in these areas, but Image has the edge in comfort and ease, while the Custom-3 has better sound quality and cost a bit less.

• 4 weeks later...

What exactly makes the Custom-3 sound better than the IMAGE?

I just felt like updating this thread because Professor Thump recently posted at the Head-Fi forums with a somewhat clearer statement in distinguishing the sonic qualities of the two high-end models (bolded), along with further insight to those concerned with comfort.

Klipsch is a new company for headphones as you know but we have 60
years of audio heritage so there are many things related to audio that
still apply to headphones. We are so confident that you will like our
products that we give you this money back guarantee. As long as you
pick the style that suits you i.e. your priority is comfort first you
pick IMAGE...you won't go wrong. I will be surprised if anyone dislikes
the acoustic for IMAGE or Custom 3. Why, because I can listen to either
without wanting to switch. I find Custom to be as comfortable if not
more so than IMAGE because they are more stable. There is no pressure
pulling out. It is inherant in the design with the ear hook. I also us
glasses so I am very use to a wire above my ear. But I can lay on my
side and they are comfortable because they chassis doesn't stick out
past the ear.

Custom 3 is better audio...lower distortion being the primary issue
that being said, if you have a very small concha (biggest bowl in your
ear) IMAGE will fit better. My daughter who is an adult has the ears of
a 10 year old. She is small in height. She can wear Custom series as
well as IMAGE but she needs the extra small ear gel, which doesn't come
with our fit kits. She is exceptionally small in ear canal dimensions.
So these are the things you will want to consider.

The reason we have both is for you to be able to choose what you need.
IMAGE has many advantages, small and comfortable but also it is quick
to load and unload into the ear. Simplicity can be best. Many of us at
Klipsch are musicians so we will probably use Custom more, due to the
wire over the ear. But you could use either for performing. You can't
loose eitherway.

Don't sweat the small stuff. I think you are going to be very happy with our canal phones.

Source

Owning the Images and having nothing as good or better to compare to - I have to say I find it diffcult to imagine what "less distortion" would actually sound like.

(for example) besides myself, the two people I let listen to my Image's at work that listen to Bose In-Ear's all day were amazed at how clear they sounded. Considering the Bose are $100 IE's it's a difference that pretty much smacks you in the face and say's "howdy".

Could the difference in sound quality actually outweigh the difference in comfort (3's vs Image's)? If I win the Lotto, I'm buying a set of everything. :)

Do the IMAGE headphones actually stick out past your ear?

Slightly. The black area will curve down against your ear and (with mine) there's a slight gap between it and my ear lobe. But if I press down the whole thing (and the tip) will tilt upward slightly and the black area will rest right ontop of the ear lobe (flush). The good part is this little bit of "tilt" won't break the seal - at least for me. Laying your head on a pillow you'll feel it's there but only slightly - it's not uncomfortable to me personally. To the outside world, all they see without a close inspection is a tiny cable comming out of your ear.

k1nc1.jpg

Owning the Images and having nothing as good or better to compare to - I have to say I find it diffcult to imagine what "less distortion" would actually sound like.

(for example) besides myself, the two people I let listen to my Image's at work that listen to Bose In-Ear's all day were amazed at how clear they sounded. Considering the Bose are $100 IE's it's a difference that pretty much smacks you in the face and say's "howdy".

Could the difference in sound quality actually outweigh the difference in comfort (3's vs Image's)? If I win the Lotto, I'm buying a set of everything. :)

Something you read often when reading headphone forums is how everyone has a story about a friend who has the default headphones that come with an iPod and can't imagine ANYTHING being better. It's a lesson that I try to remind myself of all the time. For example, you find a good headphone (or speakers) and think you're cool - until someone lets you hear what it would be like if you added an amp to your setup. Even with my cheap Grado SR-60 I was able to add cheap PA2V2 amp to get a big improvement in performance. If you get into enough you'll start looking to upgrade cables and such.

Which is why the Image vs Custom 3 debate is a tough one for me. I'm convinced sound quality is all important but when it comes to headphones or IEMs, comfort is a big deal. I'm listening to some borrowed beyerdynamic DT 250-80 and they sound pretty good. But I know that an amp would improve them dramatically and that maybe some other brand would sound better. But I also know that for the same price it would probably be splitting hairs unless I really need something like extra bass or something.

• 4 months later...

I bought both a pair of Image and Custom-3's. I had read the Image's are more comfy, but that the C3s had higher quality.

I primarily use them to listen to music while working on my computer.

Honestly the Image is the clear winner for me.

For comfort, there is no comparison. They are much easier to put on (or 'in' I guess). And that means a lot when I have to take them on and off a lot to talk to people. I really have to wrestle to get the C3's in. I feel like I have to really jam them in to get a seal.

As for sound quality, I'd disagree with all the folks who say the C3's sound better than the Image's. I read someone saying that distortion was reduced in the vocal range. I guess I can sort of discern this. As I listen to Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' I can hear more distortion in the 'S' in '...if you bring your blue sky back'. I can see how there might be somewhat less 'ear fatigue' in the vocal range with the C3s. Though I can't tell if it's distortion or just that there's attenuation on the C3's. But again, this is with me really *trying* to tell a difference.

With some quiet recordings it's been a fun experience - it's like when I first got my KHorn's - I'll be listening to a recording I've heard a hundred times and hear something new - though sometimes it's junk in the recording!