Klipsch In The Ears!

BLSamuel

My new Custom 2 earphones arrived today! [:D]

Now I can stick it in my ear. [:D]

First Impressions: (straight out of the box, no tweaking of ear gels and wires ... )

Very good sound! I'd say more considerably more revealing then the Grado SR60s I've used for years. The downside of that is that there is some residual hiss and noise when my Creative Labs Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox is turned on that is not dependant on volume [:(] - the good news is that it's masked and maybe even lower in level when the music's playing (the downside of more revealing 'phones) - the Zen Xtra noise is kind of like the noise from PA systems, at least in the lates 70's and 80's - you'll hear a little hiss and other low level noise before the show starts - but seems to disappear and sounds amazing once the music starts

It sounds more real (and the Grado's are very good headphones).

I wonder if it's may be time to see if I need to increase my mp3 bit rate - I've used the Creative Labs software sliding bit rate I think at the medium setting - files are slightly larger than 128 kbps but file stats typically shows 160 + bit rate up to 3xx at times - maybe I can now hear a difference with a higher bit rate?

wow - pulled 'em out just a bit - still very good sound, but thin, even not yet properly adjusted they sound good

comfort is pretty good even without really adjusting (a lot better than those foam hearing protectors I've been shoving in my ears lately while working on rebuilding our bathroom - those really irritate my ears)

the cable can be kind of noisy.... currently in the front - will probably end up behind the head using the cinch - I'm sure this will also improve when I get around to adjusting the bendable wires

Already heard a few things on the current album I don't recall hearing before

Besides the improved sound, my outer ears aren't getting hot or sqished[:D]

A little more work than the IMAGE to get the sound right, but the sound is RIGHT

Wow! The Legendary Sound Of Klipsch in my ears [H] that I can carry around in the palm of my hand[:D]

For absolute comfort, the IMAGE can't be beat, but the Custom are still comfortable and the sound is AMAZING

I got mine. Time to get yours! [:P] Of course those waiting for the Custom 3 will be BLOWN away.

@%#$@! Gotta teleconference in about 10 minutes. [:'(]

So, Stick It In Your Ear!

Professor Thump - AWESOME JOB! (But we already knew that).

...I got mine. Time to get yours! [:P] Of course those waiting for the Custom 3 will be BLOWN away.

@%#$@! Gotta teleconference in about 10 minutes. [:'(]

So, Stick It In Your Ear!

Professor Thump - AWESOME JOB! (But we already knew that).

Hi Ben,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Congratulations on being one of the earliest adopters of Klipsch Custom 2's!

I am glad we finally have our first review from a paying customer! Thanks for the feedback!

It is good to hear that they sound good to your ears Ben, but most important they fit you easily and are comfortable.

This Custom series is lower impedance than the typical Grados and the gain is a bit higher than Hi End Circum-Aural HPs. This is primarily because the mobile MP3 players dont have much voltage. I would like to make some IE PMs that have higher impedance for critical listeners using preamps. If this design was 150 ohms most customers would complain about the efficiency. So you cant please them all. Klipsch just needs to make two models.

As far as the cable noise, you will have a little noise from cloth if they are not worn properly. Try wearing them behind the head with the cinch at the back of the head. Dont wear the cinch so tight that you are getting a tug at the ears, just tight enough to isolate the cable noise from the ear. This will also allow the fit to be most secure and out of your way when you are working. You can hang upside down and it wont be an issue for the HPs you might drop your iPod thoughRemember not to cut the cable either when you are working. I wouldnt want to see you crying.

128 Kbps is the minimum sample rate that I would recommend for listening. 192K is even better. Unfortunately Loseless takes up too much space for mobility but if you don't care than this is of course best.

Now you can rock in your cube Ben!

Guest Mr Brad

Thanks for the great feedback! I agree with everything you are saying! I would suggest playing around with the bendy wires on your Custom 2's. From my experience, once I get them bent just right, they are just as comfortable as the Image... and they will stay that way! I have worn the Custom headphones for almost 12 hours straight on international flights without any problems!

Enjoy!

As far as the cable noise, you will have a little noise from cloth if they are not worn properly. Try wearing them behind the head with the cinch at the back of the head.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

128 Kbps is the minimum sample rate that I would recommend for listening. 192K is even better. Unfortunately Loseless takes up too much space for mobility but if you don't care than this is of course best.

Now you can rock in your cube Ben!

Mark,

Putting the cable behind my head did help with the cable noise. Most of that I'm sure will be getting used to a different configuration.

I have upon occasion rocked in my cube (actually a 4 person pen shared with 2 others - a step below a cube in some ways) in the past - just able to rock out better now and much easier to block out distractions.

I did hear some hiss during some music - either an artifact of my Creative Labs Zen Xtra or I encoded my mp3 files at too low of a bit rate and not the Custom 2 - other than the higher level of detail I'm used to [:D] gaining advantages in the overall sound quality. I'll have to try a higher encoding rate on the CD where I noticed this the most and see if it's from my Zen Xtra or too low a bit rate. Most noticable on the song "True Companion" by Marc Cohn on the Marc Cohn album. Interestingly, the lower level hiss when music wasn't playing was less pronounced following this track. I've used the Creative Labs software to burn all my mp3 files using their sliding algorithm I think at medium setting so may try a few different bit rates including the sliding for comparison.

I still don't like things sticking in my ears, but I think I'll get used to these [:D]. They're pretty comfortable - my ears aren't screaming after 2 to 4 hours of use today. Maybe a little more annoyed than when I began the day but maybe not (it's hard to tell as my ears began the day really annoyed from foam ear protectors I had in this weekend [+o(]). I've found that the small single and double flanged tips are too small... very little seal and that it was easy to mis-align to block the sound. Still not sure if the medium or large single flange or large double flange work the best and it'll probably take me awhile to get things optimized.

... I would suggest playing around with the bendy wires on your Custom 2's. From my experience, once I get them bent just right, they are just as comfortable as the Image... and they will stay that way! ...

Brad,

I've not yet got my Custom 2 phones as comfortable as the IMAGE but the bendy wires does seem to help. It'll probably take me a bit longer to decide which tip I like best and to get things aligned correctly. I've switched back and forth a few times but haven't settled yet on which tip seems the most comfortable. Probably would be easier if my ears weren't already irritated by using foam earplugs over the weekend.

I am, however, already hearing things I haven't before [:D]

Ben

@ blsamuel: I'm just about ready to order some Custom 2s for myself, but I still have a few minor concerns. Are the earphones flush to the outer portion of your ear? I'd like to be able to lay down with them on, but it already sounds like I'll be more than pleased with my purchase =D

@ blsamuel: I'm just about ready to order some Custom 2s for myself, but I still have a few minor concerns. Are the earphones flush to the outer portion of your ear? I'd like to be able to lay down with them on, but it already sounds like I'll be more than pleased with my purchase =D

Hey Fud,

As long as you have average size ears the Customs will be flush with the outside of the ear. That was the way they were designed. Some people have really small concha's and the bodies will stick out a bit. I think people got confused when we showed in Europe and they used a ceramic head with no ear holes. That demo was definately sticking out but it is natural for that to happen.

Try them out. If they don't fit you can return them in 30 days. We want you to be happy with our design.

So stick it in your ear and see if it fits you.

Hey Fud,

As long as you have average size ears the Customs will be flush with the outside of the ear. That was the way they were designed. Some people have really small concha's and the bodies will stick out a bit. I think people got confused when we showed in Europe and they used a ceramic head with no ear holes. That demo was definately sticking out but it is natural for that to happen.

Try them out. If they don't fit you can return them in 30 days. We want you to be happy with our design.

So stick it in your ear and see if it fits you.

Thanks professor, you guys can expect an order from me very soon =D

Fud: The Custom 2s do seem to be flush with my outer ears, the main body even recessed a bit... when I put my hand up to either ear I can feel the 'phones pressing in a little as the soft outer ear flattens out easily - shouldn't be a problem with a nice soft pillow or laying down on your back. My use has been limited so far to sitting at my desk and listening to music while I work and they work very well for that. [:D] The Custom 2's do seem to be quite a bit more revealing than my Grado SR60's and dig deeper in the bass - just sounds more live to me.

I don't think you'll be disappointed... unless you really have to have the better sound quality of the Custom 3 or the extreme smallness and cool factor of the IMAGE which pretty much disappear into one's ears and are extremely easy to use correctly - just stick them in, they're comfortable and sound amazing. The Custom 'phones do require a bit more effort to get the sound and comfort right. I'm getting there. (Might be there except for the foam hearing protectors I've been stuffing in my ears lately - now those are ANNOYING).

Ben

More Custom 2 Observations - Day 2

Shove 'em in! Yep, I didn't stick 'em in far enough yesterday. (Probably due to my ears being IRRITATED by those nasty foam hearing protectors ) Still sounded VERY good - but much better bass when stuck in further - this is where the IMAGE really stands out - it's so small it's hard not to stick it in with a good seal

the test for me seems to be if they get loose while yawning or making funny faces (think pasted on fast food counter person smile) then they're probably not in far enough

The hiss and noise, while at low levels even yesterday, seems to be at lower levels today?

Comfort is still very good - my ears started the day IRRITATED - I think they actually feel better if anything after listening to some tunes while working today - I've not yet forgotten I don't have something sticking in my ears, but this is starting the day with irritated ears and I'm still trying different tips (medium, large, large dual flange)

Besides the fact that I really like the look and feel of the cloth covered cord, it does seem to be easier to untangle

My Creative Labs Zen XTra won't fit in the case (actually, it will fit very tightly but with little room left over for anything else) - I pretty much expected this as it's considerably larger than an iPod

My outer ears are enjoying not getting smashed and too warm.

I (think) I can still hear the phone ring - yep just tested it, but did turn the volume up a bit - I'll probably jump out of my skin the next time it rings with naked ears

I received my Images today well packed in a box about 4x as big as the actual PM box. Box is Brown covered with a clear package the same shape as the PM box, but larger. You can see the Brown box inside the clear plastic package, the Brown box has a clear plastic window that shows the images sitting in a plastic mold inside the box. You already know what comes in the package so I'll just go straight to the sound. The Images are well balance over the complete sound spectrum, extended highs w/pratt, good mid, w/full mid bass and lows. It hard to imagine Professor Thump getting it any better than this (Custom-3s), I'm truly impressed. My initial impression are very positive and I'll add more after I spend some more time with them. Congrats Professor Thump, I'm sure you have a winner here!

AudioAdrenaline

Requests for pics from both of you please! =D Perhaps with objects of comparison for size (i.e. common, everyday items), and some pics of the earphones inserted, all the accessories, etc. I need to live vicariously through other owners until my own reach me =P

More Custom 2 observations

For me, the dual flange seemed to aggravate my irritated ears a bit - went back to single flange and ears happier - will have to try again another time and especially the next time I fly - but even with my ears being irritated by other things, the Custom 2 aren't irritating them worse

The sound is amazing [:D] - the comfort is too - I may be there but will be hard to tell until I get done with projects at home and quit stuffing those annoying foam hearing protectors in my ears

I'm down to the medium and large single flange as being the most comfortable for me - the bendy wire does seem to work well

I'm still not conviced they're as comfortable as the IMAGE but probably not too far off once you get them adjusted

Professor Thump definitely got these RIGHT

... The Images are well balance over the complete sound spectrum, extended highs w/pratt, good mid, w/full mid bass and lows. It hard to imagine Professor Thump getting it any better than this (Custom-3s), I'm truly impressed. My initial impression are very positive and I'll add more after I spend some more time with them. Congrats Professor Thump, I'm sure you have a winner here! ...

AudioAdrenaline - They are GOOD aren't they? I was amazed by the IMAGE prototypes I heard this summer. Not sure how the Custom 2 compare to the IMAGE in sound quality as that was in June, but the IMAGE are simpler to use (just stick 'em in) and have more of a uber coolness to them due to such incredible sound in such a tiy package. I would think serious iPod listeners and those who just want the coolest 'phones will have to have the IMAGE. And if you don't have the budget, the Custom 2 and I'm sure the Custom 1 are a very good compromise. I don't think anyone will be disappointed no matter which Klipsch model they choose.

Stick It In Your Ear! And enjoy!

The Image comes with Sm,Md, and Lrg oval shaped silicone gel tips w/the medium ones installed. For me, my left ear is shaped funny so Im having a hard time getting a good seal, even the large ones dont work in my left ear. The only tips that work for me are the Bi-flange tips, all others are too small for my left ear. The silicone tips are comfortable and soft, they have an oval shape but are pretty similar to other tips on the market. Isolation is similar as others, comparable to Shure and Etymotics. Size of the drivers barrel is small, about 50% smaller in diameter compared to Er4ps. The nozzle (no filter in nozzle) is short and stubby (wide sort of the size of the E2cs) but I find that I can place my dark grey Shure tips on them. The drivers barrel is made of aluminum w/gold paint, the name Klipsch on one side and the Klipsch emblem on the other side. When you place the drivers in your ears, they go deep in my ear and disappear, as I look directly at my face in the mirror, theyre barely noticeable. The wire used is very small, the only Pms Ive own that would be similar, would be the Senns CX300, but the outer jacket I would say is a little tougher and the wire seem to be strong. Each wire come down (w/a black plastic piece, so you can adjust the slack under your chin) into a Y shape piece holding them together and becoming one single wire that goes down to a 3.5 mm 45 degree plug ( that has the same shape as the drivers ( sort of a short J shape). Noise from the wire is low (well designed). Now on to the Sound: On my first impressions, I listened to the Image thru My Iaudio X5L and Porta Corda Move via 75ohm adapter, which gave it an impressive sound, but for this review I decided to use my X5L only. To me the Image has a warm sound, the high are not overly bright. Treble is smooth with slight extension (not rolled). Midrange is where I think the Image excels, Vocals, guitars, organs ,piano, electro synthesized sounds, it does well. The Image also plays the low end well, which is pretty impressive, considering its size, but the low end is not overpowering. Like I reported on my initial thread, I like the Image, I find them fun at times immersing me in music, with a large soundstage and life like vocals. It also offer the listener with a small form factor, allowing you to lay down and enjoy your music. Just realize, if you lay down with them in your ears: Im not responsible for any damage.

Enjoy!

AudioAdrenaline

I received my Images today....

The Images are well balanced over the complete sound spectrum, extended highs w/pratt, good mid, w/full mid bass and lows. It hard to imagine Professor Thump getting it any better than this (Custom-3s), I'm truly impressed. My initial impressions are very positive and I'll add more after I spend some more time with them. Congrats Professor Thump, I'm sure you have a winner here!

AudioAdrenaline

Dear AudioAdrenaline,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for the kind words Please keep in mind that it wouldnt have happened without a lot of people doing their jobs. Brad did a tremendous job on the ME design. He truly is a Boy Wonder! Tom made it easy for the team to work because he paved the way for us to do our jobs. No distraction and lots of support, that is what makes Klipsch Audio work.

Have you noticed the website? We have Sarah wordsmithing for the laymen from engineering Geek Speak. We have Kevin putting together one of the nicest websites I know of. George using his magic hands to create the artwork, Phil shooting lots of nice pictures from models who are Klipsch employees, Todd putting together a great manual, and Tamara putting the marketing all together. Mike Klipsch was instrumental in making it all happen from a business level. And the list goes on.

Lets talk about the fun stuffthe way Image sounds. I am a really picky person when it comes to music. After spending years mixing live sound, I have a better idea of how the mix is as much an artists paint brush as any other musician in the band. This is what I keep in mind when crafting the sound signature for these personal monitor designs. Voicing the PMs are very similar to a live mix. You can hide vocals in the mix or bring them to the forefront. You can emphasis the bass to be full or subtle. But what is most important is that you can make a pair of armatures, and electro-acoustic filters bring out ALL the qualities of the performance, IF the sound signature is accurate. This is what IMAGE does and especially what Custom 3 will do.

It is hard to believe that sound quality can be any better than IMAGE in my less than humble opinion, but it is true. Custom 3s is a bit better. Brad and I agree that we are getting spoiled. These little headphones are like Crack for your ears (or adrenaline in your case). We have a hard time listening to a lot of other HP after tasting these ear candies. If I could design a loudspeaker to have the robust quality in the lows and the effortless highs, now that would be a speaker. The vocals in the midrange are as warm as I know. I am starting to get concerned if I can design a 3 driver PM any better than this. I cant wait to hear that final voice!

So I am glad that you can now "STICK IT IN YOUR EAR"

Professor, after reading this post, I'm now quite certain that my wallet will hate you when the triple driver PMs come around in the future =P Does the sound signature stay similar throughout the entire range of Klipsch PMs, or do the tweaks in each earphone make for an entirely different beast?

Requests for pics from both of you please! =D Perhaps with objects of comparison for size (i.e. common, everyday items), and some pics of the earphones inserted, all the accessories, etc. I need to live vicariously through other owners until my own reach me =P

Fud - here's a couple of quick pics I believe with the large single flanges installed.

post-26727-13819349836768_thumb.jpg

Fud - here's a couple of quick pics I believe with the large single flanges installed.

Thanks! I ordered right after checking the thread to see if they would fit my ears, and it looks like they will. Custom 2s are coming my way!...plus another pair for my brother...then some Custom 1s for my sister =D