Klipsch In The Ears!

BLSamuel

Professor, after reading this post, I'm now quite certain that my wallet will hate you when the triple driver PMs come around in the future =P Does the sound signature stay similar throughout the entire range of Klipsch PMs, or do the tweaks in each earphone make for an entirely different beast?

Hi Fud,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Glad you are gonna stick it in your ear!

As far as the sonic signature goes, the headphone upgrades are similar to speaker upgrades. The higher the price the more tools that the engineer has to do a better job at attempting to create the perfect beast. Entry level designs start out with high quality armatures, but no frills, i.e. no venting on the chamber, no special black voodoo magic to optimize the voicing no crossovers. As the budget for the bill of material increases so do the features. Add a ventget more bass. Add another driver, increase the headroom. Add an acoustic filterimprove the shape of the response. Add a crossover minimize the IM Distortion and optimize the EQ. The IEM should improve as you add more armatures. I am not sure how many armatures are enough, but I am pretty sure it is similar to live sound PAs. You cant have too many speakersIMNSHO.

So to answer your question The characteristics can be similar in all designs but it is like comparing apples and oranges. Does a single cone driver in a speaker box have a similar sonic signature to a 2 way with a nice crossover? Hardly. There are no replacements for an optimized driver in a specific bandwidth. A woofer cant do what a tweeter can and vice versus.

... Add a ventget more bass. Add another driver, increase the headroom. Add an acoustic filterimprove the shape of the response. Add a crossover minimize the IM Distortion and optimize the EQ. The IEM should improve as you add more armatures. ...

I think that's the logic I used to spring for the Custom 2 as opposed to the Custom 1. The dual armature's are going to be an improvement over the single armature Custom 1. That said I think I'd have been very happy with the Custom 1. Hopefully I'll be able to compare the different models some day.

Fud - Stick it in your ear and enjoy! [:D]

Fud - here's a couple of quick pics I believe with the large single flanges installed.

Thanks! I ordered right after checking the thread to see if they would fit my ears, and it looks like they will. Custom 2s are coming my way!...plus another pair for my brother...then some Custom 1s for my sister =D

Nice Fud, splugining on you and your bro' and cheapin' out on your sister.

I'm looking forward to when those 3's are ready. I'll be right there, ready and waiting to order.

Nice Fud, splugining on you and your bro' and cheapin' out on your sister.

Lol, now you're making me sound like the bad guy =/ My siblings chose to order what they did on my advice, but the decision was still made by them. I gave them my opinion and they let me spend their money for them, trusting me to give them the best choice within their budget and needs...so there! =P

• Like 1

eBay already? Are they legitimate or am I detecting the scent of rotting fish in the eBay air?

So six Custom 3 - maybe you could loan them out to the early converts so they could compare or the people waiting on the production run. I'm sure Jay would love to borrow a set until they start hitting the shores. That is if you can keep them in the lab and out of people's ears.

• Moderators

I can't say if they are legitimately selling them or not, but I can say that they are not legitimate resellers for Klipsch, nor will they carry a Klipsch warranty, and they are also not legitimately using our photos and product descriptions.

Shame.

Smells fishy to me...what exactly do selling headphones and sinks have in common with each other? Plus, the "buy it now" price is below the discount price that even early adopters were offered for the image. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. I'll spend a little extra and keep my 2 year warranty, thank you very much =D

• Like 1

Guest Mr Brad

Just an FYI:

"The nozzle (no filter in nozzle) is short and stubby (wide sort of the size of the E2cs) but I find that I can place my dark grey Shure tips on them."

All Klipsch headphones have a filter in the nozzle. In the custom series, it is difficult to see, but it is way down there. The brown and green color case doesn't help. On the Image it is much easier to see because the filter has a white case.

Happy Listening!

Brad

Just an FYI:

"The nozzle (no filter in nozzle) is short and stubby (wide sort of the size of the E2cs) but I find that I can place my dark grey Shure tips on them."

All Klipsch headphones have a filter in the nozzle. In the custom series, it is difficult to see, but it is way down there. The brown and green color case doesn't help. On the Image it is much easier to see because the filter has a white case.

Happy Listening!

Brad

Thanks for info Brad, I didn't remember reading that anywhere, Yes its hard to see any filters. The team did a great job, IMO, you guys have put out a product thats at the top of the universal PM chain.

AudioAdrenaline

Guest Mr Brad

You are correct. I don't think we have said anything about the filters in our marketing material. But now you know!!!

For those of you who have purchased these headphones, it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep them clean of ear wax, primarily in the ear tip and nozzle. We have a handy little cleaning tool to help you keep them clean. We have seen a headphone completely stop working because it is plugged with ear wax (yummy!). Once we cleared the wax, it worked again. Avoid this situation... keep them clean!

These ear horns are great and they usually bother me. The multiple sizes really helps but my favorite is the smallest one. Michael explained them to me in detail and the dual armatures in the high end ear horns is really coool. Great engineering!!!!

My ears are easily irritated and I'm tolerating these quite well.... even after spending a lot of time with foam hearing protectors. Amazingly, the Custom 2 don't seem to make my ears any more irriated than when the day began.

I'm leaning towards the large being my favorite size of tip but it's pretty close with the medium though I think I'm able to keep a better seal with the large. Still want to try the large double flange models a bit more but didn't seem quite as comfortable during earlier impressions

Definitely great engineering of an awesome product line.

Guest Mr Brad

Thanks guys, comments like these are wonderful to hear. We spent many hours in 3-d software looking at ear scans, building comfort test prototypes, adjusting angles, etc to maximize the comfort. Who wants to listen to a great headphone if it doesn't feel good? Mark and I have always found these to be the most comfortable headphones (even more comfortable that custom molded shells), and it's great to hear that other people agree!

Keep the comments rolling!

Brad