Tube Amps

NOSValves

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I couldn't resist and went ahead and pulled all the tubes. Here's what it has

4- ECC 83/12AX7 Telefunken (look to be original)

2- (1-ECF8 B gh 09 Telefunken)

(1-ECF82/6U8 B gh 09 Telefunken)

These 2 do not match maybe one was replaced

4- 3 Original 7189s Telefunkens and 1 6BQ5

1- 5AR4 HH Scott original

Also got out my Radio shack digital sound level meter to see how loud this amp can play. Well it pushes my Syenrgy SF-2s and KSW-15 sub to a whopping 110 db peaked at my listening position 7 feet away. It actually can hit about 115 but if you put it up this high it destorts so I don't count that. It plays to 110 crystal clear.

So anyway's what are you guy's tube recomendation's what should I replace ? Exactly with what ? Also where do you recomend I buy from. If nothing else I should probably get some spares just incase shouldn't I ? I tend to push my Music real loud so I'm sure something will give sooner or later.

I'll bet the farm than all the "small" tubes are OK. But you really need to find a way to get a matched quad of output tubes--mixing in a EL84 with 7189s isn't such a hot idea--they're very different (in "compatible") tubes. 7189s are super-rare and super-expensive--a NOS quad will set you back at least $100 if not more (YIKES!). I have a quad of decent used Amperex 7189s that I'll let go of for a nominal price if you want them, or buy a quad of the EI or Tungsram eastern-europe EL84s for cheap--they'll do the job just fine.