Tube Amps

NOSValves

Okay all you guy's with your tube amp discussions have peaked my interest's. I have heard that the EICO HF-81 is a awesome Amp. What about the EICO ST-40 and ST-70 are they any good ??

I'm completely new to this and anything else that you guy's can add to this would be greatly Appreciated. I'm going to use it to power a set of Heresy II's that I'm going to get soon.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the EICO tube amps seem to be held in high regard with the 14 watt older HF series leading the pack. All can and, often, need modification and upgrading of old worn parts, just as do dynaco and others. Take a look at the unofficial EICO website:

http://users.rcn.com/fiddler.interport//eico.htm

ans search the tube and vintage sections of:

www.audioasylum.com for opinions and mod info

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 01-02-2002 at 07:50 AM

The EICO ST-40 and ST-70 use some nice parts, especially the output transformers. The design has some changes from the HF series but many do like the robust EICO ST-70. Unfortunately, they are not as classic looking as the HF series, however.

One of the main downfalls of either the ST-40 or 70 is the fact that they rely on the 7591 output tube, which is not very accessable with only the Electro Harmonix/Sovtek being currently made (this is the only 7591 I know of anywhere other than the hard to find NOS 7591 which is getting rare). The HF series uses the EL-84/6BQ5 which is far easier to locate in vintage NOS or new form.

kh

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-03-2002 at 06:32 AM

I think that a used Jolida 302B or 202 or some other EL-34 amp might be a good bet for you if you dont feel comfortable with something like an EICO. I personally think the EICO HF-81 would offer better sound than even the new ASL AV8 if taken as a whole.

Check some of these USED integrateds/amps out:

- EICO HF-81

- Jolida 202A

- Jolida 302B

- Sonic Frontiers Assemblage ST-40

- ASUSA A-4 EL-34 amp

- Antique Sound Labs AQ1003 DT EL-34 amp

- Antique Sound Labs MG SI 15 DT-S

Of course, there are other options...those are just a few on hand. The ASL amps are newer so you wont find them used as much.

kh

Of coarse currently there are none of the one's you listed on Ebay. But I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks

Also what else will I need say if I get the EICO HF-81 to listen to music. Or say I get a couple mono blocks what else is required ?

asl_mg.jpg

Antique Sound Labs MGSI 15DT-S

15wpc integrated with triode/pentode switchable

$450 OBO Great Condition - see ad below

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1014711098&class&3&4&

Would need speakers and CD player

For your phono, you would need phono preamp.

For the EICO, you would need a CD player, turntable if you want, and speakers. The EICO is an integrated amplifier with a phono stage. The amp below is an integrated without a phono stage. Quite simply, an integrated is a preamp and amp in one chassis.

kh

ps- I still think the EICO would sound better but might be needing upgrades/mods. Ask Edster and discusman how their ASL amps sound(ed)...

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-02-2002 at 04:29 PM

NOS440...

I don't think you are unreasonable to hold out for an EICO. It is a proven performer. Remember you might have to do some updating to some of its components.

Because of the reviews from folks here and at AA I have thought about getting one myself (for a 2nd 2 channel system).

I liked the sound of the ASL MGSI15DT but I didn't really have it long enought to properly break it in. There just wasn't enought power for some of the music I like (some stuff just HAS to be played loud). If I had kept the ASL I would have undoubtedly done some tube rolling to find the sound that worked best for me.

Let us know what you decide!

You might keep an eye out for a Jolida integrated too...

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 01-02-2002 at 04:54 PM

Thanks mobile homeless and edster00. I pretty much have decided to wait and see if I can score a EICO HF-81. I will let you know when I find one to let you check it out for me. Again thanks.

I also checked out that link to the Antique Sound Labs MGSI 15DT-S. I checked out some of the others and you can really blow some cheese on Amps some are in the thousands WOW !!!!!!!!

I've owned an EICO ST-70 for about a year and like it very much. The mids and highs are the most natural I have heard, especially after the easy Loudness Switch mod. One thing though, I had it hooked up to my speakers incorrectly until I bought an owner's manual. (Darned jumper wire!) Owner's manual's are available for all EICOs' at:

http://www.agtannenbaum.com/e_cat.html

I bought one because I wanted to try the tube sound w/o spending much. My EICO's weaknesses are 1) some of the tubes are hard to find (should I need a replacement)and 2), the bass is full but not as tight as some of my SS amps (moderate-priced tubes amps have notoriously low damping factor).

Good council above. Hunt for a low-priced HF series EICO with the EL-85/6BQ5 tubes. There is always a risk purchasing used tube equipment. Make sure the seller did at least a tube test before you buy.

------------------

John Packard

This message has been edited by johnnyp on 01-03-2002 at 01:03 AM

All,

Please accept my humble apologies.I am certainly a newbie to the area of tube amplication and hopefully learning a little each day.. I owe my pursuit and purchase of my HF-81 to mobile's high rec. I also know it was a typo, but the HF-81 uses the EL84 output tube not EL85.

That said, I was fortunte. The past owner had completed some updates and replacements to the amp so it's heart beat is strong. Once the cover was off, I found only one set of tubes are the same brand/series, and that set is an fairly unknown one. To restore the true original audio character of this vintage classic will require quite a bit more dollars than the $200 entry fee through the purchase of NOS tubes. Of course it's working now, so why spend anything? After appreciating and enjoying what this amp has done for the sound character of my 1975 Belle's, I have decided to accept the task to restore as closely as possible that original sound character. And yes mobile, it will get an ample treatment of NeverDull. So there's goes my budget! And since the budget is blown, I'm also going to add a pair of 1980 vintage Cornwall's to the household very soon. Then I'll look forward to .......

(saving for Moondogs maybe???)

Someone please send a doctor quickly so my illness does not infect others(Klipsch Disease).

Help me? Help me?

Klipsch out.

Bone stock, the bass is damn good via the EICO HF-81 as I think it betters the modern Jolida 302 and my ASUSA A-4 both at over double to triple the wattage. I think the traditional knock on the "flabby bass" on most tube amps is a big misnomer and repeated too much. While the bass is sometimes not as tight and extended as a typical solid state amp, many times it will have even more tone, rhythm, and bounce, making the typical SS bass sound two dimensional and without the character of the note. Plucked bass on the EICO is VERY nice. A lot of the bottom end extension really comes from the transformers as well... and the design of the power supply.

Yes, there are things you can go to make the EICO more transparent. Some are relatively painless if you can solder a bit. Bypassing the balance (Focus) is an easy mod that brings a slightly more see-through quality. Bypassing the tone controls (a bit more difficult, actually) is yet another thing that will bring the unit closer. Putting better Power supply caps is also a key to quality bass and extension. You ARE limited by space on that unit and someone has already swapped some new caps in there (what are they?) Some people bother with changing the volume pot out but I havent done that yet. The coupling caps are important...I think that guy put in stock Orange Drop 715 which are not as good as the 716p, both being outclassed by something like the Auricap. Still, room is such a problem.

I see that you are thinking of getting more EZ-81 rectifiers. Right away, I will tell you that the Mullard EZ-81 are the very best and last a LONG time. They are worth seeking out if you dont have them. But dont worry if your current stock tests well.

I found the EICO sounded terrible on things like NAVCOM pucks... Actually, the very best my unit sounded was with ALL the body panels and knobs off with the edges resting on four NAVCOM pucks... Looked like a complete piece of junk but sounded great. With the panels and bottom on, the pucks dont sound as good, slowing the amp down a bit. I have tried all sorts of footers and the little beast doenst sound too damn bad with the stock feet resting on a solid stand (stand having spikes).

eico.jpg

Actually, the EICO sounds pretty fine left alone. I would enjoy it the way you have it now and just try some different tube combinations. I painted my unit satin black (five coats) and got the brass to better than new. It looks VERY sharp in satin black with the shiny brass plate. I even painted the knobs black after taping off the little white marker area. The damn thing looks amazing and much better than stock. Of course, many would want it stock but I dont care as much about this as the black improved the look so much, it is amazing. I have another HF-81 that IS stock and the difference is astounding.

What are the tubes in your unit?

kh

system one online / alternate components / asylum listing f>s>

PS- BE sure to run your EICO with the TOP COVER OFF. It really lets the heat out and sounds better to boot.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-03-2002 at 01:11 PM

The Scott amps have a pretty loyal following but I have not heard one in years. What I did hear I liked. The unit in the picture appears to have a choke loaded power supply which is a positive...as well as the tube power supply rectification, which provides a more natural sound with more ease. Solid state rectification is not as smooth and natural. The Scott unit uses EL-84/6BQ5 as well which are easier to get then the 7591 although you can get these used.

I have heard the Fisher amps such as the X-100 and 202 and they are nice. I happen to think the EICO actually outclasses them, however. Still, they are nice amps and a good friend uses his Fisher X-100 for his studio monitor amp and it works great.

Of those two, I would opt for the Scott. Between the Scott and the EICO, I would take the EICO although the Scott looks intriquing. I have never heard that model. The Scott 222B has a big following as well.

You can get the manuals for all. Both of the units you selected have a lot more parts/switches etc than the EICO. I kind of wonder how thay Scott sounds, actually. Would like to hear it.

kh

Mobil homeless what about this one is it what your talking about in a scott ?? Is it worth his buy it now price ?? would I need a Preamp for TT use ?

Scott 222c

The only thing I see flaky on it is the power cord looks like sh!t LOL !!!!!!!! But that can be fixed I'm sure.

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 01-03-2002 at 01:42 PM

The Scott integrated amps--ESPECIALLY the ones with the 7189 output tubes (299a/b and 222 models) have EXCEPTIONAL phono sections. If you are primarily going to use this amp to listen to records, then I can't reccomend it enough. You will not find a better sounding amp in this price range--PERIOD!

$225 is a fair price--up about 100% in the last 3 or 4 years, but still VERY fair. Go for it.