Andy W.'s hum and buzz blog post

Erik Mandaville

Who Observed:

"The ethical issue and responsibility extends beyond any risks you're willing to take for yourself."

This statement couldn't be more true, correct, honest, and IMO professional.

Erik

Just make sure that it is done in ALL other areas of your life that are far more dangerous, otherwise it is an exercise in academia rather than actual safety!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In PA, they repealed the manditory motorcycle helmet law, because past results showed that in a bad accident, the helmet would typically save the riders life, but would not prevent them suffering such brain damage as to leave the rider in a vegetative state. It was cheaper insurance wise to pay for a funeral than to pay for 30 plus years of around the clock care. When it comes to electricity I like to err on the side of caution.

Using seatbelts in a car and wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle or bicycle is only common sense. The laws are only needed for those folks without common sense.

BTW, the number of helmet-wearing accident victims who wind up in a vegetative state are very likely greatly outnumbered by the helmet-wearing accident victims who suffer little or no head injuries, but would have been badly injured or killed without a helmet. That PA story really sounds like an urban myth.

I know a little about motorcycle helmets and the protection they can provide, having ridden on the street for 28 years and on the professional racing circuit for several years in Canada and the US.

Kevin:

The majority of components today are built to a high standard in terms of safety issues. This holds true for lots of vintage equipment, too. We also have in this country strict electrical codes and redundant safety backup systems that make the chances of serious injury or worse very unlikely.

Here's my concern: I have an ethical conflict with public -- or indeed global as it relates to this forum -- declarations of a universal practice of defeating safety ground connections on equipment that may, because of how they were built or the potential lack of shock hazard prevention mechanisms in a given goegraphic location, put someone at serious risk. You or I have no idea of who might be searching for a way to solve an otherwise minor ground loop hum, and then proceed with what some are describing as a harmless cure. Depending on the quality of insulation in this person's component/s; or whether its fused; or whether there are circuit breakers ready to quickly go to work in the event of a problem -- we just can't know, and in my view should take such thoughts and possibilities into account when we talk about this potentially dangerous practice in a public place like this.

Do what you want in your home, but perhaps we should think twice before telling someone else to do it, particularly if you are unaware of that person's 'electrical situation.'

Even include cheater plugs (in all capital letters) in your equipment profile if you want, but maybe qualify that with a statement such as (MAY NOT BE SAFE IN ALL SITUATIONS. LIFT SAFETY GROUND CONNECTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK).

Erik