Cornwall I vs Cornwall II

Jay Registrar

Considering a pair of Cornwall IIs near me. They were made somewhere around 1990 according to the owner. I have not seen, so I can't comment. Serial # is 8615XXX. That leads me to believe they were made in 1986. If so, does that make them a C II?

My questions are, what are the differences between the two? Should I wait for a pair of C I's to become available?

Thanks for your help!

Yes definately CII's, the differences are the drivers are flush mounted to the motorboard, the K-57 midrange and K-79 tweeter are improvements over their K-55/K-77 counterparts in that they can extend out to 20Khz. They sound pretty much identical and as to which version to get that is individual preference. The crossover network in them is shoddy and looks like it was assembled by playschool but that is easily remedied.

I have always found the two versions to be more similar than dis-similar. If you split hairs, then I would say that the 2s are a bit less "nasal" sounding. I own the 2s and enjoy them very much. If it was 1986, they are Cornwall 2s.

Just a note. The distinction between the originals and the 2's is not a clean one. Prior to the 2s being launched there were a few years where there were some hybrids (some differences in the drivers and crossovers). So the later "originals" may actually have some components that are very "2-like".

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom-my 2's did not have a label and the serial number is not stamped on the back. Is there any other way to determine when they were made?

thanks,

Dean

I have always found the two versions to be more similar than dis-similar. If you split hairs, then I would say that the 2s are a bit less "nasal" sounding. I own the 2s and enjoy them very much. If it was 1986, they are Cornwall 2s.

Just a note. The distinction between the originals and the 2's is not a clean one. Prior to the 2s being launched there were a few years where there were some hybrids (some differences in the drivers and crossovers). So the later "originals" may actually have some components that are very "2-like".

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom-my 2's did not have a label and the serial number is not stamped on the back. Is there any other way to determine when they were made?

thanks,

Hy Heresy IIs were a gift to me, and also had no labels, and no correcsponding SN stamped on the back edge. I opened up the cabinet of one of mine, and did find a dated inspection label inside. That was close enough for me.

Bruce