Subwoofer placement help

Kain

My room is about 15 x 11 feet and have the setup listened in my sig. Thinking of getting a subwoofer soon and want to know of the best placement possible. I drew up my room in the crudest way just to give you an idea. It seems there is only one possible place for the subwoofer to go (haven't decided on which subwoofer yet) and would like some feedback. Please have a look.

post-6810-13819353841032_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming that in your pic the area below the bathroom part is where your RF-7s and TV is located? If so, I think if you do a search on here and ask most people they wouldn't recommend putting your subwoofer behind you or beside you.

Is there room behind your front left RF-7 or along the left wall? Could you put it beside your left sofa?

post-18173-13819353841602_thumb.jpg

There is absolutely no space behind the RF-7 and the area beside the sofa facing the writing desk is an entry/exit to the balcony. I thought this over and might decide to remove the bookshelf and place the subwoofer there. Seems like the optimum place.

you could also put it in front of the left RF7, unless the patio door goes all they out that direction. The drivers in the RF are elevated enough where putting something small in front of them like a sub or table shouldn't impact the sound too much.

Could you move all of the desks and bookshelf towards the back of the room about three feet or so? Just from looking at your drawing it wouldn't be too hard to move them, as only the computer requires power and its little more than a small extension cord or a new power strip with a longer cord. I'll echo the sentiment of no sub behind or to the side of you. It just sounds too disconnected from the rest of the system. Just from looking at the drawing though it would be the best location.
What sub are you thinking of going with?

What about sliding your front right RF7 over to the side and then centering the TV and Center channel in the room. This will give you a more balanced sound stage and should also give you enough room to put the sub inbetween the front left RF7 and the TV (the red box). You would then want to be put the smaller of the bookshelf/writing desk/computer closest to the front. It also seems like you've got plenty of space to put any one of the 3 on the back wall next to the couch too.

post-10350-13819353852906_thumb.jpg

What about sliding your front right RF7 over to the side and then centering the TV and Center channel in the room. This will give you a more balanced sound stage and should also give you enough room to put the sub inbetween the front left RF7 and the TV (the red box). You would then want to be put the smaller of the bookshelf/writing desk/computer closest to the front. It also seems like you've got plenty of space to put any one of the 3 on the back wall next to the couch too.

I would follow Docs suggestion with the addition of 'flipping' the entire room vertically (thus placing the bathroom and the alcove at the rear of the room).

Your imaging will benefit SIGNIFICANTLY by the symetrical topology and arrangement of the front speakers afforded by the change.

Additionally I would position the rear surround speakers to coincide with the proper location for a 5.1 system and have a comfy chair or two to place in the sweet spot, as the sofas are 'anything but' for 2 or 5 channel sound.

Aren't you glad you asked us how to rearrange your house? [:P] Be careful what you ask for... [:D]

post-23237-13819353853446_thumb.png

Unless its a series of sliding doors. Then he might be position screwed.

What?

...And the walls may all be Shoji screens with no means to mount the speakers.

Where are all of the imagined concerns not in evidence coming from?

And if the entire wall is sliding glass doors he has plenty of choices for ingress/egress and the placement really does not matter! I guess it all depends upon the topology of the moat surrounding the house and just where the allgators like to bask.

But as far as being screwed, i suspect after reading this inane digression he has already fogured this out and regrets his initial posting. [:S]

• 1 year later...