Big Cash for Cables

rlange

Just ordered a set of Quintets and a ksw-15sub for my budding hts. I have the a/v reciever dvd player and 27 inch tv (not hi def). I am new to this and I am wondering if I need to spend the high prices for the cables I need. It seems I am going to spend about $80 bucks for a set of good cables.BTW I need all cables. Any input would be helpful as to what cables I need,and if a less expensive alternative is available for my system.For the most part they look like regular RCA cables??

TIA

RLange

This message has been edited by rlange on 01-02-2002 at 08:16 PM

yes and no. I would get a good monster cable for your sub. They can really make a difference. You should be able to get one for about 30.00. As far as speaker wire just get some good oxygen free wire 16-14 gauge should be good for the quintets. Also try not to skimp on av cable like s-video and optical.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 509 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

This issue is widely debated. I'm in the camp that says super wire is at best widely overrated.

My diplomatic response is one of fiscal caution. Try the inexpensive stuff first. I'm talking zip cord, 16 or 18 gauge, and RCA type connectors from Radio Shack. You might do the whole set up for 20 or 30 bucks.

If you later feel compelled to experiment with superwire, make sure you can return it after your personal evaluation.

Many good people find an improvement, in listening, with super wire. I'm not aware of any electrical tests which supply a technical reason why this should be so. Some would say it is just placibo or that the new connection solves an un appreciated faulty connection.

Gil

rlange,

just as a point of information, $80 for a set of cables is not "big cash" in some circles. Check out this link:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1101/nordost.htm

To quote one of the more interesting points in the review:

Price

Speaker cable: 1 meter pair, bi-wired $4,200

2 meter pair, bi-wired $6,100

3 meter pair, bi-wired $8,000

4 meter pair, bi-wired $9,900

5 meter pair, bi-wired $11,800

(Add $950 per additional half-meter)

Interconnect: .6 meter pair $2,800

1 meter pair $3,300

1.5 meter pair $3,800

(Add $60 for XLR. Add $500 per additional half-meter.)

Just thought you'd find that interesting...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

This is a much debated topic, and you can search this forum for lots of good technical info. on the subject that's beyond my knowledge. That being said, I'm of the basic opinion that "good" cables do make a difference, the question is how much of a difference for the money you spend. I agree that I'd spend more on good interconnects than on speaker cable. I'd spend a little more money than you think you want to, but you shouldn't feel obligated to spend more money than you're comfortable with. The cables are not going to make that much of a difference unless you start getting really serious about your system.

When I started upgrading my components seriously, I used the old Rat Shack cables I had and started replacing them as I had the money. Nothing too fancy--Monster or equivalent, but I have noticed a difference. I think my system sounded great with the cheaper cables, and now I think it sounds even better. I know there's no scientific proof for this, but when the only variable I have changed is a cable and I can, for example, hear an instrument that I didn't know existed on a track, I say there is a difference. So, for example, you might try using a Rat Shack RCA/analog cable for now to hook up your DVD player to your receiver and then later try a better-quality coaxial or optical cable if your system allows. Do some critical listening and see if you think you've made an improvement.

I suppose I now have about $500 into interconnects and speaker cable. It adds up fast. As Ray pointed out, that's nothing compared to what some people spend. However, there are many people on this forum that would say I'm crazy for not using the cheapest cable available.

I say experiment, have fun, and do what makes you happy!

Well on Joe Blow systems even $80 can be too much,William said it well TRY THE CHEAP STUFF FIRST.

Most of the time it will work just fine with regular systems.

About the $80 cables...huh talking about cables and interconects I have invested about $8000 in speaker wires,interconects and power cables.Not talking about AC filtering(Monster and PS Audio).LOL

My cheapest interconects are from Monster Cable the M1000(I have eight pairs of these),M1000 Digital inteconect(two),I use the M550 for subs.Use MSeries M2.4B(five times 15 foot runns).Just in ""regular cables". And I dont want to even talk about what I paid for Monster's best the Sigma speaker cables.

Almost purchased the speaker/interconect Sigma box(one pair of Sigma speaker wires and one pair of interconects)all for just $4500!cwm3.gif

I have a few Cardas Golden Cross interconects and one 10ft speaker wire.

Hmm what else...

Ah some Ultralinks(top of the line Ultralinks only)and MIT speaker wires and interconects(the mid-priced Mit LOL).

And about a dozen UltraLink and MIT power cords for my amps,preamps and powered subs(even the Sunfire Junior looks good with that FAT UltraLink powercord Smile.gif ).

I have some more cables in boxes,have to clean up and probably I would find a few $300 interconects in there.

So much for expensive $80 cables.

Yes cables cab cost close to $100 000 US for ONLY cables if you want the very best Monster,MIT,Siltech, Kimber,Cardas,Nordost and Transparent.There are other Ultra High-End also.

Know cables should not cost more then %10 of your system value.More like %5.Unless your nickname is TheEAR and you must have 10 subs in one small room.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

My most recent pair of speaker cables cost me....

ZERO...ZILCH...NADA!

I dumpster dived at the dot com I was working for at the time and brought home a half dozen short spools (maybe 50' ea.) of cat5 computer cable. All it cost me was maybe an hour of my time to cut two equal lengths, seperate and strip all those wires and crimp on some spade connectors to the speaker ends..and Voila...Free cables! Now I'm not going to get on any soap box about the quality of these cables but...

They work great for me.

Didn't cost a thing.

Minor sense of satisfaction/DIY pride.

and MOST importantly...

GOT TO TELL MY WIFE "I TOLD YOU I WOULD DO SOMETHING W/ THOSE SPOOLS OF WIRE THAT HAVE BEEN SITTING IN THE GARAGE ALL THOSE MONTHS"!

I'd probably try making some interconnects w/ that cat5...but you can't usually crimp on RCA connectors...I'm kinda dangerous w/ a soldering iron...Oh well, guess the Rat Shack interconnects will have to stay.

Dave

What I love about The Ear(s) is he always makes me feel so reasonable in this hobby. I spent a mere $2000 on cables (Synergistic silver speaker cable and mogami interconnects). Still I only have the one sub-woofer!

Keep going Ear(s). If it wasnt for you I would think myself over the top!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable