What's Up with "Industrial" or "Pro" Heritage Products?

Twenty Watt

Hi Everybody,

As I've been perusing eBay looking at Klipsch products, I've noticed that some La Scalas and Heresys are very robustly packaged essentially as PA speakers...aluminum trim on the edges, heavy duty corniners, insert handles, carpet covering or black plastic covering, etc...

What's the deal with this? Was there a time when Klipsch was marketting some of the products in the Pro Sound arena? Were the specs on the components the same as the home products versions? Do they command higher / lower / same prices as the home versions?

Reason for my interest is I'm a guitar player who has a large pair of PA speakers for when I do gigs but I have some Heritage speakers for my audio setup...I would love to do double duty and just have a commercial pair for my home audio (basement system) and then grab them to go when I have gigs.

I do not want to sacrifice the fidelity that I enjoy with the home versions of my other Klipsch speakers though. Any help would be appreciated.

I have seen industrial and professional cornwall's, la scalla's, and heresy's. Depending on the model you have different properties to their domestic counterpart. I have a pair of KP-201's that are basically a more rugged exterior and different connection options to the heresy II. As far as I can tell it walks, talks, and smells like a heresy...also I have used them in place of my JBL PA speakers for smaller occasions (they have better fidelity and are more balanced than the jbl's, but don't cover larger crowds. An equivilant to them would be the pro cornwall which is a ported verison of a cornwall (they use these at the indy jazz kitchen and sound great)...many feel that a ported design is advantageous for output but lacks clarity in the bass region...also I think it used the k-43 as opposed to the k-33 woofer. As far as I know the industrial/pro la scalla's are the same as the domestic version...with acception of the woofer. The prices seem to be in approx the same range as the home version. If you only have the option to purchase one speaker for all of your sound reproduction needs...I would say the industrial cornwalls would be a great solution. I'm sure others will chime in and give their oppinons and make any corrections to my statements...obviously listening to them all before deciding would be the best but probably not an option with ebay hunting...good luck.

I can only speak first hand about the LaScala line when it comes to industrials or professional versions.

They do sound different than the majority of the home version of the LaScala's. Differences are many. Some of the differences are due to the componets such as drivers and crossovers. Other differences are with the fiberglass metal trim reinforced model which have less cab vibration's.

The models of the industrial and professional vary over the years. There are single piece models as well as two piece models.

If you ever make it to the NYC area, I can arrange for you to hear both an industrial and home version model.

Hi Everybody,

...I would love to do double duty and just have a commercial pair for my home audio (basement system) and then grab them to go when I have gigs. 

Here is my KP-201's .... and my garage system ... as have been said, 201's are Heresy's in a beefier cabinet. The internal components (assuming the sound) are identical to a Heresy II. They handle 100w., so as far as your needs ... not sure how much power your running.

Some of the other "Pro or Industrial" speakers use heavier components and/or speaker protection that may have a slight effect on sound ... Many have said that K33 of a standard La Scala go lower than the K43 of the Pro version.

use the "Search" button at the top of the page .... if you type in "Industrial" ... you will get lots of hits

What Heritage units are you running at home????

Posted Image

Michael,

You are killing me!

I feel privileged to have owned 1 pair of mint Cornwalls, then sold them for a pretty nice pair of KHorns...

When I see shots of some of your collection... now I feel inadequate.

I want to meet you in person, and listen to every pair of speakers you own.

It may take a little while, but I am willing to supply the Stella, Harp, Guinness, Moosehead (for me, eh), and maybe even some Sam Adams

to have the good fortune to listen to your collection.

I may even bring some good Canadian whiskey with me!

Cheers,

Tom

Colter drinks Diet Rockstar...heck, he's even got it in his avatar. [;)]

The Klipsch pro audio gear is actually quite impressive and it's a shame they stopped producing those lines. As long as you find a pair that isn't worn out, it should be more than adequate for listening at home. Don't forget to check out other speakers from the KP series as well (like KP-302, KP-3002, 362, 480, etc etc...)

Michael, You are killing me! I feel privileged to have owned 1 pair of mint Cornwalls, then sold them for a pretty nice pair of KHorns... When I see shots of some of your collection... now I feel inadequate. I want to meet you in person, and listen to every pair of speakers you own.

Michael would like to hear them all too... so many speakers, so little time... [:^)]

Michael, You are killing me! I feel privileged to have owned 1 pair of mint Cornwalls, then sold them for a pretty nice pair of KHorns... When I see shots of some of your collection... now I feel inadequate. I want to meet you in person, and listen to every pair of speakers you own.

Michael would like to hear them all too... so many speakers, so little time... Huh?

My friend Bruce has hit it on the head. I haven't got half of them hooked up and most are purchased for the 'collection' with no real purpose in life. I'll be packing in some KP301's this weekend. That's a baby industrial Cornwall- 15" 3 way.

Collect 'em all- it's a set!

Michael (Diet Rockstar only please)

That was the summer before last. A lot has changed since then. The number of pieces doesn't matter, it's just a way for me to get out and meet people really.

We all nominate you santa this year....load everything up and drop off your wares....you will meet all of us and we will leave out some cookies for you.

That was the summer before last. A lot has changed since then. The number of pieces doesn't matter, it's just a way for me to get out and meet people really.

I think that alone makes it worthwhile. I know I've enjoyed our friendship that started by using speakers as an excuse to hang out.

But you gotta admit the pure awesomeness of your collection - if nothing else, but for the educational value. I think Klipsch should start sponsoring your hobby since it has turned you into "Super Tech Support".

We do need get a picture of you with all your industrial cabs sometime....though lets get more help if we do. That was a lot of work just doing the 'few' speakers in that pic.