Professor Thump's Man Cave

Professor Thump

Dr Who has asked me to dig up my photo's for basement "Man Cave" home theater so here they are...

Sump Pumps and Furnace are something to navigate around. In between them I built a cut out for two purposes.
1. to make the room bigger
2. to have a better area for electronics and a big oak entertainment center that needed a new home.

post-20592-13819353975134_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first two pictures you can see the skeleton as the walls go up to cover all the mechanicals. The furnace is always a big problem, due to Noise from the blowers coming into the room and Noise going out via the ductwork. I haven't totally solved this problem since it is expensive to do properly. There is also the concern about proper ventilation of the furnace for code. We don't use it for heat, just circulation, due to the wood stove.

In the second picture you can see furnace ductwork and plumbing for the house. This was the biggest problem. I have 9 ft ceilings but the mechanicals drop it down a foot. So I built around it.

I also had a 100A disconnect box from the main so I didn't have to run wires all the way to the garage. Best money I ever spent. Need an outlet...Just run it to this box. All the runs were less than 50 feet I would guess.

The best tools I bought were a nail gun and a laser level sight. The room is not perfect but it is turning out better than I would have expected.

post-20592-13819353975564_thumb.jpg

There is an office to the right behind that wall that I finished out. You can also see the tile I laid on the floor. I really like the results of stonework when I got done.

You can also see a problem I had. I wanted a small bathroom on this level but I wanted the theater room as big as possible. So my wall had additional braces accross the framework for solid support.

post-20592-13819353977138_thumb.jpg

Here is the front wall where I will project the video and a cut out for a THX 650 box. Middle top is a bracket I made to support center channel. I made it a close as possible to the ceiling so the screen could be high. You can see the gold spray paint where the screen would go. I found it helpful to position the room by painting lines for the screen and viewing area.

post-20592-13819353978838_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

" I have never really done any framing but I sure learn a lot when I got done. I wish some things were more square, but I will probably be the only one to notice it. "

Any one can work with everything square, you have to be creative to make it look good when it's all screwed up ! Look's good you must be creative. [;)]

If you just had some nice headphones while you were working you wouldn't hear that thump when you hit your finger with the hammer !