Peach modifications?

Coytee

Thought I'd start a new thread here to keep it centralized.

Mark, you said in the other thread (in part)

LoZ output will NOT be available on the RCA jacks. They will have only HiZ and HT bypass. Therefore, the mode switch on the front panel will be a bit erroneous.)

Does that infer in essence, you would have two seperate outputs (only one "live" at a time though) and as such, you COULD have one set of amps plumbed into the RCA/HiZ output and a different amp plumbed into the LoZ output, switching to either amp via the switch? (forgetting about speakers)

I realize there might not be any practical use for this so I'm asking first in simple terms "can" it be done not should nor why.

Second...(picking on only myself here) if I'm using XLR's from Peach output the rest of the way, wouldn't the HiZ/RCA signal path be essentially worthless to me by the above perceived inability to patch it into the XLR signal chain?

So... if in fact it IS "worthless" to me (from a practical view since I'm using XLR's), then if I plan to use my Peach's HT function, would it be now rendered useless to me?

If rendered useless... how might I get around that? A/B switch?

One of the plans I have for my Peach is the specific HT/stereo ability it has.

The other major improvement is changing the V1 tube to the 6H30 and the bigger caps that go along with it.

May I ask what difference that might bring? (remember, I'm a dummy) One reason that caught my eye is your use of "major".

Also... mine was sent back your way a while back. Year? Two years? I don't remember. It is an older version I think and you did something to it.... yes, I now recall, you did the improved level controls and I mistakenly said I wanted the newer knobs which turned out, I already had. Any recall if you also did the Hovland thing? Aren't they yellow?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on what sonic differences the above might do. I was tickled to see the change in thought about changing to the XLR output! This might be adding some icing to the cake (although once I get my basement mess better organized, I need to think through the XLR verses HT issues)

It's a fine way to keep a nice tube front end on these Crown Pros

shhhhhhhhhhh..... let's not let our secret out.... [:#] remember.... pro gear sucks...[;)]

(now we can go accumulate what we want on Ebay before the crowd runs out & drives up the prices)

[:o]

I bought my peach from mdbrien who bought the unit in march of this year. If that means anything.

The reason I brought up the XLR source input is because Most of the DAC units have them....including mine. This isn't a deal breaker if it can't be done but wondered of having one set XLR inputs in place of one set of RCA's.

jc

The 6H30 is really an audiophile sort of improvement - right along with capacitor types and topology. Not something you will notice while vacuuming the floor and listening to your stereo. If you were listening carefully and purposefully for several hours (days maybe) with some really great source material that you know very well, you'd find the 6H30 removed a few veils that the 6922 (even NOS) still leaves behind. This enhances the perception of texture and contrast. People at the next karaoke party won't know the difference - so, in other words it's "generally" a very subtle improvement of no import to most, but in an audiophile context (my own) a "major" improvement. Geeked

Hmmm? I don't know which caps you now have. You might just have to look inside. They are both branded visibly.

Meagain <---- kicking self for not acting at the time.

I wanted to correct something I said.....I believe it was in the Jubilee thread......but it is relevant to this thread......so I'll post here.

I had been doing A LOT of experimenting and changing components, testing different amps.......and basically trying to learn about interfacing home and pro components, what sounds best on my new system, etc.

I posted that my Peach could not REALLY drive the pro stuff effectively even in LoZ mode. At one point I THOUGHT that this is what I had found. I had definitely tried connecting it to my active crossover which has a 10K input impedance and did not have good results. I was pretty sure about this and I bought and used 2 Art Cleanboxes because I thought I really needed them. I used them and they did boost levels but they added noise.

Well......I am little smarter with everything now and more testing happened this weekend........and after further review.......I was definitely mistaken. Not to make excuses.......I did post that "I was still learning this stuff". I had been changing out a lot of different things. I goofed up somewhere. A little beer had been involved as well.....maybe.

With the Peach connected directly to the Behringer 24/96dcx (10k input impedance) the Peach absolutely drives effectively in Loz mode.........and works to a slightly lesser output drive level in HiZ mode. In fact the system sounds much better and has much nicer range of level control without the Cleanboxes. I returned them both. Not needed at all.

I can hear that the Hiz mode is slightly clearer in my system with my tubes........but it does not quite have the oomph of the LoZ mode

Long story short........It works fine in LoZ but honestly in my case I still am not satisfied with the HiZ which sounds better to me but lacks a little output drive.

So......I believe that the mod Mark is discussing here is definitely still worthwhile to consider if one is interested in using the HiZ mode and being anal retentively happy with it. If you can live with LoZ........I believe the Peach is fine as is. This was pretty thoroughly tested this time........so I'm more sure about posting this time

sorry for any misunderstanding

In my case I am finding that I still favor the tube front end and tube CDP

I have a question for Mark. I made a real improvement by going direct with the Peach. Less noise and no hum. The question is: What can one expect as far as system noise with the propsed mod compared with present Peach system noise? Will the mod add noise?