Tube receiver for vintage Cornwall speakers?

kelly001

I'm inching closer and closer to being the proud owner of a pair of Cornwall speakers. [<:o)]

I'm trying to find a suitable tube receiver to pair them with. I've heard the Fisher 500C is a great receiver. What other vintage receiver should I consider? Anyone have any experience with the McIntosh MAC 1500 (a hybrid receiver - tube amp and tuner / solidstate preamp) and Cornwalls or other Klipsch speakers?

There are many reasonable options for vintage amps. Fisher, Scott Eico, Pilot and others. One word of caution. Cramming a tube tuner section inside the same chassis as a tube pre and stereo power amp is a pretty large rats nest of wire. My inventory of amplifiers does not include a receiver. Of my 5 tuners none are tube tuners and I am a tube guy.

Tube integrated amplifiers are complex enough. One rumor I have heard is some fly by night technicians rebuild integrateds that actually bypass the active pre amp and turn the interated amplifier into a lesser complicated and lesser quality component.

Good Luck

Rick

Not a receiver but consider Baldwin tube amps from Will. Purchased 1 tube amp that he converted to stereo from him on audiogon. One of my best purchases, but remember that they are industrial looking. There are some other threads here that talk in detail about his amps. Good luck

My Harman Kardon A-260 was only $200 sounds great with cornwalls, and it has a phone input. Integrated amp, not as nice as the others I'm sure but for the money you can't beat it. Just conect a tuner, cd player, and LP and waalaa. Instant great sounding music, cheap.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am new in this forum and have a little knowledge about audio stuff i have a few question, First i have these 1979 cornwall for the last 3 weeks now but the tweeter are not working but replacement are on the way..i read a lot about tube amp to match the cornwall but i never actually use or see one of those.

i have a 400 dollar budget to drive the cornwall and i want to try the tube amp or tube integrated amp, can i use a equalizer on tube amp? or can i have a tube amp and not a tube preamp combo? I need help here......here are the components that i am using on stereo mode.....Onkyo M-504 amp and 0nkyo P-304 preamp.......also in my garage i have a Carver m500t amp and Carver c1 preamp..... and equalizer .....ifyou guys in my situation and my budget is 400 dollars......what can you recommends......oh one thing one of those amp and preamp have to go to get money.....but i really want to try a tube amp..

Why ruin the sound of a great tube amp by inserting an equilizer in the loop?

Back to the original question. Look for a Scott 299 or 299b either here or ebay or Audiogon. If Craig (NOSValves) hasn't already rebuilt it, have him do so. It might cost you up to $600 all-in but it'll be well worth it. I've owned or heard Scotts, Fishers, Eicos, Macs and a few others and in the $600 range, nothing beats the Scott. (IMHO of course)

Good luck.

well like what i said i am not so sure how thinks work...but i was thinking if i have a power tube amp and using a non tube preamp i think i can use equalizer right? is not realy ruin the sounds of the tube amp because thats the one amplified the signal from the music source? what i am saying is hook it that way so if i decided to use equalizer is there already...maybe in a month i will get me a tube amp...i have two solid state amp that i can try this weekend...i am still waiting for the tweeter they should arrive today or by friday....how much the scotts 299 or 299b cost in the market?