where can I find "black vinyl" cabinet finish?

STL

Does anyone know where I can purchase a black vinyl covering/material for some DIY speaker cabinets? My Klipsch KG5.5s have a black vinyl finish that has a simulated wood grain. I am building some custom enclosures (for some KG-series drivers that I purchased on eBay & a subwoofer box too) and wanted to finish them with the same/similar black vinyl. I know I could get some veneer then paint them, but that seems like it would be overkill (not to mention more expensive) when all I really want is for them to match my current KG5.5s.

Thanks, but I'd rather just use adhesive-backed vinyl instead being it should be easier & cheaper to apply. I just need to find some that comes in a roll and has a grained black finish similar to my KG5.5s. I've looked around on the net and found where someone suggested using "shelf paper" for a similar project. I guess I'll checkout the types of shelf paper my local stores carry. Maybe I'll get lucky.

If anyone knows a good source of adhesive-backed vinyl then let me know.

I think Radio Shack may have some stuff like that, check them first. I think it is black and has a wood grain finish. I cant find their catalog and their web site sucks, but check with them first. Also, there might be something like that made for furniture. I have seen matte white (I know thats not what your looking for) self-adhesive material, but it may also be available in other colors/textures. I havent been to St. Louis, but its a big place and you may wish to check out some industrial/commercial furniture suppliers, they may be able to guide you in the right direction. Is East St. Louis really as bad as people think (as in REALLY bad)?

I looked around and so far all I can find is plain black vinyl, but now I have myself really wanting to find some "grained" black vinyl so it'll match my KG5.5's finish.

Maybe BobG will chime in and let me know Klipsch's supplier so I can contact them about getting some overstock/scraps! Smile.gif

Thanks elor554, but that won't work. Based on the description, I'm almost sure it'll be too thick and I would be able to get good corners with this. I'm looking for something thinner and adhesive-backed like contact paper (or slightly thicker) but I also want the simulated woodgrain in black.

Thanks for the info though...

If it's a good quality speaker cabinet you obviously used oak to match your current speakers right? So just finish the boxes with some black laquer (found in any home depot) and apply a coat of polyurethane and be done with it. The problem with using formica is that over time the vibration will loosen the edges and you will get noise you don't want.

What wood did you build them with that you want grain matches? Plywood? MDF? Pine?

User Name, the boxes I am building have not yet built but will be built out of 3/4" MDF -- just like my KG5.5 were made with (by Klipsch). MDF is a very good choice for speaker enclosures because it's so dense and heavy.

My KG5.5s have a vinyl black finish that is made to look like grained wood that's been painted black. The vinyl have has little lines in it that can be felt (and seen) that look very much like woodgrain. I wanted to find the same, or very similar, vinyl to cover my speakers. Yes, I could buy a oak veneer (at $55 a sheet) then paint it black -- but it seems like a waste to paint a real wood veneer black. I'm actually going to be building 6 boxes (2 for KG3.2s drivers, 1 for KG4.2 drivers, 1 for my subwoofer, and 2 for some KG4 drivers) so using real veneer would get costly very quickly! Once I find this vinyl sheeting, I suspect it will cost a lot less.

User Name, I will use the KG5.5s are the front mains, and the KG4.2 will be the front center. The KG3.2s will be the rears, and of course the sub will be the sub. The KG4s were originally going to be the rears, but then I decided to use some smaller (the KG3.2s). I am honestly not sure what I'm going to do with the KG4s, but I doubt I'll sell then after putting all that effort into building enclosure for them...maybe they'll find a place in my bedroom somehow.

Call your local cabinet shops, and ask them if they sell or make cabinets with thermofoil doors. Many shops will build the boxes and order the thermofoil doors to put on them. If you find one that does this , they can order you sheets of this stuff. It won't come with a self stick backing . You will have to use contact cement.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

• 1 year later...