How do you open KG 5.5's?

red_dragon

So I got a pair of KG 5.5's over the weekend. They checked out fine at the place so I got them from the guy. However I must have been half brain-dead because I forgot to compare the left and right seperately. (still feeling pretty dumb) I got them home and one of them seems quieter than the other. The all the ranges seem to be quieter but the mid to highs seem to be more lacking than the lows. But probably because lows are less directional anyway.

So my questions are:

1) Anyways, any guesses on what the problem might be?

2) And how do I actually open the cabinets?

Thanks!

Welcome Red.

First, take a piece of carboard or something simillar and cover each driver on each speaker one at a time while music is playing and see what you can hear. Pay close attention to the small horns on top, the Tweeters, because often people overdirve their speakers and blow up a tweeter or two.

If it is a case of a blown tweeter replacement parts can be obtained from Klipsch or through Bob Crites (BEC) on this forum.

If not, the way to open them up is to carefully remove one of the bigger drivers's screws 9there's usually four screws) on the speaker that's giving you the problems and see if there are any loose wires inside. If you tug them off to check them do it one at a time so you will know how to put them back in proper order.

The KG line is very rugged so it's most likely a tweeter or a loose wire.

Okay I just tried your suggestion. The tweeter is playing sound but it does seem quieter than the other speaker's tweeter. I've also swapped channels on my receiver to rule out the possibility of a weak channel. Do blown tweeters still play?

Thanks for the welcome =). This i my first pair of real speakers from klipsch =).

Usually tweeters either work or they don't work. It is possible for one to be weak, just unusual. Next move would be to swap the two tweeters to see if the weaker one is still weaker in the other cabinet.

Bob Crites

nope it was just really tight. Pliers did the trick. So I did the swap and now the problem is in the other speaker. Instead of Clapton's voice coming from the left, it's now coming from the right. I guess it's safe to say that the horn is the problem. So what's the next step?

Sounds like you have one of those rare working but not working right tweeters. I would suggest a pair of new diaphragms. Replacing both will give a better chance of both sounding equal after the install. You can buy them from Klipsch or from me.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com

Lay the speakers on their backs when removing the guttards. Makes it harder to drop one piece onto another and screwing something up. And don't torque down the 3 screws that hold the tweeter to the horn. Just snugged up is good.

Nice speakers. You should really enjoy them.

Keith

First let me say that I have never seen a KG 5.5. My guess is that like others of the KG series, the crossover is mounted on the back of the input terminal cup. To remove it, you would remove that terminal cup by taking out the screws around it from the back of the cabinet. Then you would have to unplug all the wires from the drivers. Those wires are soldered on the crossover.

Bob Crites

In the rear of my KG 5.2's you remove the four screws in the lower back on the plastic plate that holds the binding posts (the things you attach the speaker wire to). Most times the crossover is attached to that. If not, lay speakers on back, remove bottom driver and search around for the crossover and remove screws holding it on.

Just a question? Why remove the crossover if your tweeters are bad? These speakers date from the 1990's and probably don't need a recap yet.

• 14 years later...

My 5.5 have started with a small rattle when I juice them hard

just curious…most people talk about the loose wires, but this is the first I’ve heard about the actual structure

i gotta figure it out

at normal levels I don’t hear it…and I just have a marantz 80x80x 7(Don’t use the others…not sure why I bought it just needed a receiver )

but I like a lot to goose them guys