Where's AL?????

MacKlipsch

Tell him to get his butt home. I'm ready to order my crossovers....BTW...is there a library of "Dope from Hope" available? Be nice if Klipsch would put them online with some sort of search feature. I have a question regarding resistor values and configurations between the one published in "Dope from Hope" vs the one Al made for his center channel. Al's seem more simple and without pots.

Why aren't they saying anything about the crossovers?

I would think either it is or it isn't a quality upgrade and if it was it's quality the beats the other competition.

I've been interested in your crossovers for some time now , but not being blessed by Klipsch has held me back I have four La scalas two are 1990 and the other two are 1998 so as you can see 4 x ALK's crossovers = $$$$. Say by the way you don't happen to have a store close by for a demo?

quote:

Originally posted by Al Klappenberger:

Fred...

He's BAAAACK!

What does Klipsch think of my networks? They're not saying! I think they realize I am not any competition for them, so they are just ignoring what I am doing. When I met PWK, I didn't mention anything about it!

Al K.

tljraj,

I'm not sure you understand what Al is doing... Al's not a dealer, he doesn't have "stores"... Al's an engineer who specializes in filter design. His website is:

http://www.web-span.com/alk/

Al designed a new crossover for the Heritage line of Klipsch speakers, largely out of a labor of love, and was bulldozed into offering them for sale by members of this bulliten board. At his price ($450 last I knew for the La Scala / Belle / KHorn version) he's not making any money.

I purchased a set of the La Scala crossovers for my 1974 vintage La Scalas. They are otherwise totally stock - uh, except for the Dynamat I applied to the midrange horn. I have been ecstatically (?spell?) happy with his crossovers. I recommend them highly. For specifics on how they "sound" and the differences they made to my speakers, and others who have used them, search for ALK in the post archives and you'll find a lot of info.

They will (most likely, my opinion) NEVER be "blessed by Klipsch" any more than having an engine guru blueprint and balance your engine is going to be blessed by Mopar. He's an independent professional who knows what he's doing and is offering an option to people who may choose to try it out at their own risk.

Again, I love my La Scalas more than ever. Your mileage may vary.

tljraj,

Ray is right. I operate out of my home and I am a one-man-show! If you ever get to Salisbury, Maryland, you can audition my Belles with the crossovers installed. (Click on the little house above).

The price is up a little now from what Ray quoted, but not by much. With low overhead I can build the networks for a pretty good price and still make out on them.

Al K.

Some very good comments above by Ray. Especially the "labor of love" comment. Although that's been clear from Al's prior posts on this BB, it became evident during our recent trip to Hope. Although I'm sure Al would have loved starting a crossover conversation with PWK, he showed polite restraint and held back. Hearing Al speak, it was clear that he knows his stuff! But, you don't get invited into the home of a legend very often and you don't want to risk offending your hosts. Even unintentionally.

I am not in any way affiliated with Al or his crossover business. I don't even own any of his crossovers. But, I can vouch for him and his reasons for doing what he does. If you want to try out ALK's crossovers, don't let the lack of an official Klipsch blessing stop you.

Ross