CAD Question

mas

I know there are quite a few members who are quite conversant with CAD.

Does anyone have experience and knowledge regarding Bricscad ?

What do you think?

I am aware of the basic feature set and the new features. Are there any significant drawbacks or reasons to go with another package featuring AutoCad compatibility?

Thanks in advance...

I used IntelliCAD a bit a few years ago and it was alright. If you really need ACad compatibility, Acad Light is the way to go. Certainly the most commonly used alternative is Visio, which imports DWG/DXF with varying degrees of success.

What is your application, and budget?

Dave

Is Visio a 3D CAD program? [:o] I've only ever done 2-D circuit layouts and flow diagrams on it.

I must confess that I'm rather impartial to ProEngineer - it's been the easiest CAD tool I've ever used:
http://www.tristar.com/software/proengineer.asp
I dunno how well it'd work for house modelling stuff though...

Have you messed around with Sketchup at all? I've seen lots of people doing room modelling with it, especially on this forum:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

I've not heard 3D mentioned...since Bricscad was based on IntelliCAD I assumed plan and elevation as IntelliCAD was not 3D when I used it.

I am using Sketchup regularly for it's speed and ease. Not a lot of finnese there yet, but with Google behind it will likely grow into the best in class app. Google's plan for taking over the real estate market world wide is stunning. Get Google stock. I know many say it's overpriced but these are the same people who said MicroSoft was overpriced in the early 90's.

If 3D is an issue best to stay with Acad. Lots of file conversion utilities but they are often either not successful or not entirely so.

Actually, to more directly answer the question, Bricscad is very highly regarded and seems to be growing in popularity. Certainly a lot less $$$$ than Acad.

Dave

My nephew is a project leader for Sketchup. Loves working for Google, too. He started working for them right before Google bought them. Pretty cool software. An architect friend of mine says his firm uses it, too, and it is good for waht it does.

The only CAD program with which I have any experience is TurboCAD. It handles 2D and 3D, it does everything I need for speaker design (and a lot of other things), and it's inexpensive at about US$150. Older versions are readily available on ebay for far less than that. (I'm currently using v7.1; I just checked ebay and the oldest that I found was v9.1 for under US$20, including shipping!) And it can import and export DXF files.

Greg