Classical question...

Coytee

Other day, driving in car listening to NPR. they had a piece on that I thought sounded nice. Was a Harpsicord. No... when they finally came back and said the title (which I was unable to write down)

I think they said it was by Bach and was FOUR Harpsicords and FOUR (unsure... violins? Obo's? kettle drums?) My guess would be four violins.

Tis about all I remember about it. I've always enjoyed Harpsicord music though so it caught my ear.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what this was?

I actually did try their website & fumbled around [:$]. As for calling them, I was driving and have learned (from other pieces) that the title might be 2 paragraphs long lol. I've finally put their phone number into my cell speed dial for times when I can pull over and do exactly that WHILE it's playing. Unfortunately, traffic didn't allow me to do that this time.

Wuzzer... that certainly looks like a suspiciously good guess!! I'm going to have to just get that & see what happens.

[Y]

Wuzzer... that certainly looks like a suspiciously good guess!! I'm going to have to just get that & see what happens.

Richard, a belated thought if you haven't ordered yet -- performance quality is as important in classical as the stuff everyone listens to. In fact, it probably wouldn't have grabbed your attention if it wasn't a good one. I think you oughta get that recording if you can.

Larry

If you know the station doing the broadcast and the time of day, you should be able to find out

1. What program was being aired

2. The person moderating the program

and contact that person at the station and probably get a complete list of the musical pieces played that day.

The moderator might even know which piece it was by the time of day or by your recollection of what you heard. These people are usually well informed.

Good luck

Since he was asking about harpsichords, I was wondering what are some excellent recordings for harpsichord and flute?

There is a set of two CDs by Janet See (flute) and Davitt Moroney (harpsichord): 'Bach--Flute Sonatas'.
Very good, sold cheap on a sub-label of Harmonia Mundi called 'Classical Express'.

For Scarlatti the Pierre Hantai recordings on Mirare are a good choice. They seem to be more available at Presto Classical (UK) than places I see in the US.

Mark

A little tardy with this one, but on tonight's Live from Lincoln Center New Year's Eve broadcast, violinist Joshua Bell will be playing such fine violinistic fireworks as Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso and Ravel's Tzigane ("Gypsy"). The program ends with Ravel's instrumental display, Bolero. Interesting, attractive music to watch.