Heresy 1 Woofer Modification

kg4guy

the K28 is the HIII woofer and is indeed more robust than the K22 or K24.

It is my understanding that Klipsch parts will sell these only as part of an upgrade kit which would transform an HII into HIII. The upgrade kit is specific to the HII, though. It's not designed to work with the original Heresy.

I think it probably could be made to fit the original Heresy, but it would require modification to the motorboard. Also, the HIII squawker is a bolt on like the HII. The K700 horn is a screw mount. Something would need to be done to adapt that or change out the horn to use the HII horn.

One more thought, I am assuming, not necessarily a good thing, that the upgrade kit contains a complete tweeter replacement unit.

It's $272 for a single kit. Pretty good price for all three drivers and crossover.

All academic, though. Klipsch parts requires an HII serial number to order the uprade kit.

I have a pair of Heresy 11's but not sure I would want to spent that much for the upgrade as I am ok with the tweeter and the mid on my Heresy 1's I was looking for a mod. for the bass only .I have built some cabinets that the Heresy's will slide into and I have my KG-4's on top of them and that is a great help for the lack of bass in the Heresy1's. Thanks

I was looking at the old thread of Scooterdog, about an upgrade for the Heresy. Our good friend Dennis mentioned a replacement woofer for the K22. I think he actually put in the wrong part number as what he referenced is a 10 incher. If it is the 12, it wouldn't be too expensive and should be a drop in as they mount on the back of the baffle.

Current price woud be $113.97 (2+)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=172742&gemail=1&CFID=15994945&CFTOKEN=95829874

Bruce

There is a crossover upgrade where you move the tweeter and midrange down on the autoformer (giving them a 3 db decrease). You have to add resistors or change caps to compensate (adding resistors is only a few bucks but if your caps need replacing, this would be a good time).

The Heresy was designed to be put on the floor, so the tweeter and midrange each run a little hot. I had 2 pairs here for a long time (I and II) and each pair always sounded better on the floor.

Try putting your Heresys near a wall and on the floor in a room that has carpet. Sit in a normal position, not on the floor (or stand). If you like what you hear, the crossover upgrade should be what you are looking for (do a search here on the forums to find the schematic). I used Solens when I did mine. If I did it again I would use a more laid back capacitor.

"I think he actually put in the wrong part number as what he referenced is a 10 incher."

See below.

"Is the model # 2510 or 2512? 2510 is a 10 inch?"

Yes, the 10" Deltalite 2510.

I had a post a while back on how to do the conversion.

Unfortunately this driver is no longer in the stock line-up. It may still be available on special order.

• Posted by
djk (M ) on July 25, 2005 at 00:55:59
  • A 2 cu ft 2nd order sealed box with an F3 of
30hz can only be 0.18% efficient (84.55dB).
A 2 cu ft 4th order vented box with an F3 of 30hz can only be 0.36% efficient (87.56dB).

A 2 cu ft 6th order vented box with an F3 of
30hz
can only be 0.90% efficient (91.54dB).

Classical music at mid hall can reach levels of 0.2W at
30hz

This requires 112W, 56W, and 22.4W for the above systems.

To keep FMD below an annoying level (3%) would require a 300hz crossover and a nominal frame size of 15", 10", and 8", with a Bl of 29.6, 13, and 6.7

All data calculated per DB Keele and PW Klipsch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 10" conversion was a 6th order vented alignment. For a given box size and cut-off it frequency it can be 7dB more efficient than a sealed box (standard Heresy). By holding the box size and efficiency the same we can pick up almost a full octave in bass extension (from -3dB at 70hz to -3dB at 40hz).