Receiver Watts/Channel

Kenhorns

Would you folks kindly take this 'Newbie' under your wings and teach me some basics? I shall be most appreciative and grateful!

I'm confused about the significance/importance of (amp/integrated amp/receiver) watts/channel ratings.

I've just started my second life in the Stereo Hobby. Ist life was in the early seventies and my system consisted of a Marantz 22 with Altec 890C Bolero speakers. I wanted Corns and a Mac back then, but was frankly just too poor to enjoy suedo 1st class.

I recently purchased Forum member JHagen's Corns (Sorry, Groomslake51, after setting them up, I'm keeping them and will probably ask the wife to have a carpenter join them into a casket for me- I now really appreciate what I have been missing all these years). Corns are wonderful and my goal now is to add a set of Khorns or at minimum, another set of Corns.

I'm playing with Receivers now. Mid-term, I wish to purchase a tube system (pre + amp or integrated - not sure yet as it's part of the learning needed) and hear what you folks say is that sweetness that they produce when playing vinyl.

A friend just gave me his wife's Marantz 2215 (15 watts/channel). I'm totally amazed at how this little box drives the Corns. Now I realize from my Altec experience the effect of 'efficient' speakers - but somewhere along the way, I thought I picked up that the More Watts/Channel the Better! The 2215 appears to be showing that not to be true - WHY? or am I missing something?

Also, in my Internet searches of tube systems, I'm noticing new integrated offerings from various vendors that are rated only 10 watts/channel. Some of these are approaching North of $1500. That makes me think that folks like you may be buying these and they are only rated 10-30 watts/channel.

Does more watts/channel produce better Music?

Thanks

PS: Thanks again for the Corns - Jerry! You gotta be experiencing real Regret by Now!!!!! Cornwallmissinitis?

I think one reason for the more watts=better line of thinking is that very generally speaking, higher watt amplifiers are/were of better build quality than lower watt ones. This obviously applies more to SS amps than tube amps. Speakers that are very efficient can sometimes have very low minimum impedences so many times a higher wattage amplifier is more stable to driving lower ohm loads.

More watts may produce more punchy sound and more solid bass. With Klipsch speakers, less power is needed, but it can still be of benefit. It's surprising just how much power is needed to make musical transients, or peaks, like drumbeats, sound realistic.

I hear ya on that, if clipping causes distortion, why not have more headroom in your amp, I run a receiver w/105 watts/channel x 5 channels, I never really get the volume past the -30 db mark, but hey that's me. In my little soundroom/almost man cave, which is 12 x 8, so my real listening position is about 7' from center. I have only gone to -10 db once, it got painfull.

A real mancave has a hanging heavy bag. I have enough room to do the Wu solo form, that's about it.