War on Terrorism Idea - Warfighters over 55

Groomlakearea51

I posted the pic of the 40 year old card in reference to GLA51's statement of the calling card. It's a psychological ploy that's been used for generations. Nothing new here other than my personal 2 cents worth(less).

We're fortunate to have a large enough population that we only have to sacrifice our youth. Many countries don't have this luxury. All of their peoples serve in their cause one way or another.

I'd much rather the "Old farts" do it again rather than expose more or our youth to the reality of war. It's hard to imagine the damage that occurs in the person exposed to such things.

Our military is a slave to the civilian rulers. Many poor decisions have lead to wars on different levels not through the fault of our military.

Sometimes war is thrust upon us. We won't lose. Simple as that. We adjust our economy to assure that we won't lose. No "Second Best" mentality for the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

Are Americans soft? I doubt it. Just busy. Careful world we don't change our priorities.

Think you have problems now? Think where we will be if we lose this new war. It probably hasn't crossed your mind that we could lose this war. I doubt if I could live under a Taliban type rule. You? It's not that farfetched an idea. Don't bury your head in the sand and say it won't happen. The worst thing you can do when evil rears it's ugly head is nothing.

Am I an old fart? Yep and proud of it. Should I be allowed to serve again? If need be I say yes. If need be I won't have to be asked twice. I feel there are certain duties old farts are still qualified to do. No reason it shouldn't be so. Our downsized military force is feeling the strain of reduced ranks and if we can help why not be allowed to serve.

BTW, I like the proposed motto.

Just an opinion. Nothing more.

Harry

Vietnam was the last major campaign (NOT WAR) where we had hardcore battles

Easy Now, you can call it what you want, but don't tell me it wasn't a war ..................The Viet-Cong were formidable adversaries, not like the COWARDS we are fighting now ................ I'm not mad or looking to pick a fight, just reminding you to not tell a Viet-Nam Vet it wasn't a war, we will disaree with you, and our Brothers and Sisters that gave their lives, might argue too, if they could ................

Not trying to pick a fight, but it was never declared as a "war" per se, although it clearly was despite what our politicians called it. I know they have the "Vietnam Campaign Medal", but no matter.

OB, have you ever visited the War Memorial in DC? If not, I highly suggest you visit that location during your next trip. Whether anyone was involved in this "war/campaign", it will touch you in so many ways. I missed the war by 6 mos, but enlisted anyway as the draft was coming to a close.

Agreed 100%, too many lives lost (and some friends I lost too)

Again, Do not tell a Viet-Nam Vet he wasn't in a war ......... Sure looked like, sure sounded like a war to me ........... have I seen the Wall in Washington, .. No, I haven't, but I did see the Mobile Wall that travels the country, with all the names ....... It was quite moving, to be honest, I cried liked a baby, 54,000 Brothers and Sisters that will never come home, part of me is left behind in that god awful country, fighting a WAR I didn't believe in .......

LMAO.....I just asked a Vet here @ work, and he said it was a CONFLICT.

Thanks for your patronage OB. Let's face it, skirmish, conflict, war, campaigns......ALL LABELS. Honestly, IMO, anytime you occupy another country and take their citizens lives, IT IS A WAR.

I didn't intend on offending you, so.......on that note, have a blessed day. (Heard that somewhere - lol)

It's always nice to have a second (hand) opinion.

Vietnam WAS a WAR.

POW/MIA's YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN.

Harry

Not gonna disagree that Vietnam wasn't a war (sure seemed like it to me though I was pretty young).

Just wanted to say thank you to Harry, OB, and other veterans here and everywhere for serving this great country of ours.

Love some of GMLA51 and others thoughts here...

LMAO.....I just asked a Vet here @ work, and he said it was a CONFLICT.

OK, let's take this a step further; Go tell any parent that lost a Son, or Daughter overthere it wasn't a WAR, go tell the person who lost a brother or sister overthere it wasn't a war, go tell the kids who lost a parent overthere it wasn't a war, tell that wife who lost a husband,father of her children it wasn't a war. Comments like this do offend me deeply .................... The Viet-Nam vet got nowhere near the respect the general public shows to the Iraq troops, why is that? Our deaths less meaningful, Viet-Nam has no oil supply, We were dumb kids,draftees, not real soliders ............. please, think about what you say about Viet-Nam, and remember, We were Freedom Fighters, Too !!!!!!!!!!!! Klipsched, not pickin' on you Bud, thread would have received same response from me, no matter who wrote it .........................

DON'T FORGET THE MIA'S and POW'S ..................... They want to come home, TOO !!!!!!!!!!!

The sad part is that the lack of respect for the troops during the Vietnam conflict was the result of a massive political (and certainly media driven) backlash against the successive admininstrations that pursued the war for faulty strategic reasons.

The Global War on Terrorism (or GWOT as it's referred to in active duty circles), has the one thing going for it that the Vietnam conflict never really had. The United States was directlly attacked and is still under attack by an enemy who has made it quite clear that the destruction of the country is a principal aim. The military's execution of our national goals and objectives in the GWOT is not the question; it's the methods and policies of the Administration that are the "political issue". Fortunately for the troops, unlike the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era..., the military is generally not being confused with the administration.

I read an interesting email this morning; it certainly defines how we should view the military, and echos my thoughts on the current high level of respect for the military, and I'd like to share this.

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by people professing radical extremist Islamist views who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001? Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania? Did not nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet ?... Well, I don't care at all. I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11. I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia ... I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat. I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques. I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care. When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college hazing incident, rest assured: I don't care. When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care. When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts: I don't care."

One last thought: In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said: "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in. And how many want out."

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem" -- Ronald Reagan --