Pair of 1958 Khorns

greg928gts

I've known about this pair of Khorns for quite a few years, but the guy who owns them wouldn't answer his phone or send a letter back to me. Very strange. But today I was traveling through his town and decided to stop by his home. He was home and let me come inside to see them.

They are a consecutive serial number pair from December 8th, 1958. For the youngsters out there, this is unusual, because this was not the stereo age and Khorns were sold one at a time for mono systems. They were sold as a pair to a roller rink for their sound system.

Now get this, they are both singed by PWK himself!

I know the guy who put the new grill cloth and the dark stain on them. He also installed new veneer on the top of one and in a couple of other places here and there. Too bad because they would have been much more valuable if left original, or at least restored to their original appearance.

I think the owner might sell them, but I'd have to give at least $3K for them and I'm not in a position to do that right now. He paid $2500.

Just thought I'd share this with my fellow Klipschophiles.

More pictures to follow.

Greg

post-11090-1381935971017_thumb.jpg

I have not heard them, but he said they work great. I didn't want to push my luck. There have been certain issues with even getting this guy to answer his phone and talk to me. As in, he wouldn't. Wrote him a nice letter, no response. I was surprised he let us in the see them.

Wow, 50 years old, I hadn't even thought about that. Nice history, just too bad about the restoration not being true to the originals. I'm mean really, wiping brown stain on the backs of the speakers, over PWK's signature??!! What the heck is that? It kind of takes some of the specialness away for me.

Greg

Yes, they have had some veneer replaced, been stained, and had the grill cloth replaced. He said the grill cloth was pink and sparkly, LOL. I know who did the work. He was only 21 years old when he did that work and he really didn't know what he had there until a few years later when he sold them. I don't know if he would have done much differently if he had known the history of these. Maybe at least he wouldn't have gotten brown stain on the stickers!

He's a good guy. He is my source for a lot of Klipsch speakers that I get locally. He seems to be able to find them before I do! He sold me my pair of Shorthorns for instance.

Greg