K-402

Edgar

uh oh... you going to buy a pair of plug uglies? !!

As for the design... why not just wait until the 402 arrives? (I presume you are at least buying some 402's or else, why build an enclosure for them, right?)

This way you can have them in your hands for exact measurements. otherwise, I can try to get you some measurements but would need to know what you are looking for so I don't butcher it for you [*-)]

I presume you are at least buying some 402's or else, why build an enclosure for them, right?

Still in the "I wonder if they'll fit" stage right now.

I can try to get you some measurements but would need to know what you are looking for so I don't butcher it for you

Thanks. I need the three measurements indicated in the attached rough sketch; the overall length, the approximate "length" of the throat, and the width of the mounting flanges. The rest I can get from the Klipsch brochure.

Greg

post-22723-13819359800238_thumb.png

Ok, I'm not sure I can help you. I presume you are going to need 'accurate' numbers and with the conical shape of the horn, it's difficult to get a good measurement on depth. I estimate it to be about 17" but per picture, you can see the flange and it also has something like a 1/4" offset on it.

Other measurements for you are:

Looking at the horn straight on and viewing it as a rectangle...

It is 39 7/16 wide (outside edge to outside edge)

25 1/2" tall (again, outside edge to outside edge)

The flanges... since it begins a curve that blends into them... was kinda interesting. Roughly speaking, the top/bottom flanges are 2 1/4" wide and the left/right flanges are 2 1/2" wide.

Again, you have that confounded curve that might come into play. It looks like if you keep the flanges about 2" wide, you will catch these AND you will also catch all the screw holes. The screw holes are not in a straight line, they are zig/zagged a bit, if that makes any sense.

I didn't notice any real 'throat' with any depth like your picture suggested (at the mounting flange side) I hope my pic makes it easier to see.

Not sure how to easily and accurately get the measurement from flange to mouth, ideas?

post-15072-13819359801296_thumb.jpg

Looking at the horn straight on and viewing it as a rectangle...

It is 39 7/16 wide (outside edge to outside edge)

25 1/2" tall (again, outside edge to outside edge)

Interesting. Klipsch brochure says 40.3" x 26.0". Always a good idea to measure!

The flanges...  since it begins a curve that blends into them...  was kinda interesting.  Roughly speaking, the top/bottom flanges are 2 1/4" wide and the left/right flanges are 2 1/2" wide.

Got it.

Again, you have that confounded curve that might come into play.  It looks like if you keep the flanges about 2" wide, you will catch these AND you will also catch all the screw holes.  The screw holes are not in a straight line, they are zig/zagged a bit, if that makes any sense.

Yes, it does.

I didn't notice any real 'throat' with any depth like your picture suggested (at the mounting flange side)  I hope my pic makes it easier to see.

Yes. The brochure showed a throat region that looked to be about 2" long. Perhaps that was a prototype or something.

Not sure how to easily and accurately get the measurement from flange to mouth, ideas?

Yes. You'll probably have to hold a straight edge across the mouth and measure internally to the throat, perpendicular to the mouth, being careful not to accidentally jab the diaphragm in the process. I'll understand if you don't want to risk it.

Sincere thanks,

Greg

• Thanks 1

Yes. You'll probably have to hold a straight edge across the mouth and measure internally to the throat, perpendicular to the mouth, being careful not to accidentally jab the diaphragm in the process. I'll understand if you don't want to risk it.

Though I'm happy to help, I would have a fear of you & I having different levels of retentive measuring lol. Meaning...

If I put a level across the mouth and tape measure to the throat, it's only going to measure to the screen on the driver. Is THIS close enough for you? I don't mind trying that. If on the other hand... it would mean disassembling the driver off the horn... it does becomes something I'd rather not do. It would seem to me that the only way to get the accurate measurement to the flange would be to remove the driver and measure from there through the throat to the straight edge. Thoughts?

If I put a level across the mouth and tape measure to the throat, it's only going to measure to the screen on the driver.  Is THIS close enough for you?

Yes, that would be fine, thank you. I didn't realize that the driver had a screen, but that provides a convenient reference for where the horn stops and the driver starts.

You are most accommodating.

Greg

Richard,

Are the vertical supports ( 1 ) really vertical? If they are, can you measure from the front of them to the front of the horn? Then measure the face of the mount between the driver and the flange ( 2 ). Subtract the two...

Just a thought.

post-7149-13819359802336_thumb.jpg

Actually tried that (though I can't say they are truely vertical which takes me back to my anal measurements of trying to be precise)

Anyway, you ...well "I" can't really get what I feel is a GOOD measurement from that standard to the horn lip without angling the tape upwards a bit which as I suspect... is going to change the dimensions a bit, no?

Where are we going with this?

There are a few sinks at Home Depot that are close, but concaved in the wrong direction.

I did find a few lamps shades in different colors that where really close, but unfortunately, they we made of glass.

So then I thought, how about some roofing componets. There are k-402 shaped top hats used for different chiminey senerios, but they were too thin.

Maybe there is a farm product out there. Something that guides lima beans or rice....a giant funnel.

I presume you are at least buying some 402's or else, why build an enclosure for them, right?

Still in the "I wonder if they'll fit" stage right now.

I can try to get you some measurements but would need to know what you are looking for so I don't butcher it for you

Thanks. I need the three measurements indicated in the attached rough sketch; the overall length, the approximate "length" of the throat, and the width of the mounting flanges. The rest I can get from the Klipsch brochure.

Greg

Another view...

post-28404-13819359810326_thumb.gif

Where are we going with this?

I'm trying to design an enclosure into which a K-402 horn will fit. I'm actually designing for multiple HF horns, the EV HR9040A being the one with dimensions most similar to the K-402. Designing for the 9040 is easy, as I have a couple examples packed away in my basement. But I don't have a K-402.

Greg

Anyway, you ...well  "I" can't really get what I feel is a GOOD measurement from that standard to the horn lip without angling the tape upwards a bit which as I suspect...  is going to change the dimensions a bit, no?

Thanks, a "ballpark" figure will be good enough for the time being. I really appreciate your help.

Greg

Messages coming in faster than I can keep up with them ...

Greg,

Just put my 4' level across the front of the 402 and measured back to the screen.  The depth when measured like that was 16 5/8 inches.

Perfect. Thank you.

Greg

Another view...

Thanks. It would be so much easier if there were just some engineering drawings available.

Greg

I don't think that the horn is a strict tractrix shape. Here is another view - you'll see a non-uniformity in the horn about 2/3 of the distance to the mouth. Good luck on the engineering drawing. It may be easier to acquire a real one.

post-28404-1381935981182_thumb.gif

• Like 1

I don't think that the horn is a strict trachorn shape.  Here is another view - you'll see a non-uniformity in the horn about 2/3 of the distance to the mouth.

I agree. In that respect it is similar to the HR9040A, which has a conic section connected to an exponential section. The 9040A is a CD horn.

Good luck on the engineering drawing.  It may be easier to acquire a real one.

That strikes me as really odd. When I worked at EV, we provided all of that info, in great detail, for system installers.

Greg