Marantz Pre-amp.............

SWL

I picked up a Marantz 3600 pre-amp about a month ago and I cannot get over how good it sounds. I've always been fond of the Marantz sound in the past but this is the first time hearing one with Klipsch speakers. I remember the Marantz recievers having a rich sound but not neccesarily very refined. That is not the case running it with ma-700's, Jolida JD100 and RB-75's............it is so clean very desirable to listen to.

This pre is 34 years old and all the knobs and levers are solid and tight, no slop in them whatsoever. I am "pro" tone controls and this is part of the reason why I like the sound so much. I'm not in favor of the eq to boost anything, in fact just the opposite, just to be able to turn the mids down a notch or two and the treble at "0" or maybe up one notch. The bass at "0". Running a pre-amp flat is usually boring to me so I like to tweak it, just a little.

Anyone still using any of the vintage Marantz pre-amps or recievers? I'd be happy to hear some experiences, especially now that I know how good they sound with Klipsch.

Thanks, Scott.

Hi Scott, I use a Marantz 2245 and could'nt be happier, I have a number of well regarded "classics" to compare it to ie, NAD7155, H/K twins, Pioneer SX, Kenwood , Sansui. but the Marantz has become a fixture now, especially since being serviced, Prior to that my Marantz 1152dc intergrated was top dog, for me the Marantz stuff just has it all and is a good match to Klipsch, listening is never fatiguing, i never tweak the tone controls apart from the low filter when playing vinyl. and to top it off they look good too.

I have a 2275 that I use as a bedroom power source with a pair of Fortes. I alternate between it and a Sansui 9090DB. I love them both. I think the Sansui has a bit of an edge over the Marantz but could never replace it. The Marantz has sentimental value as I have owned it for over 20 years and before that it was my brother in law's, who is deceased. So, it will never leave my possession. Heck maybe I'll take it with me when I go. I also have acquired a Marantz 300DC amp and a 3250B preamp. I have not used them much to date as I am in the process of organizing my spare room/office with shelving so I can accomodate several systems that I have, all of 70's vintage. Marantz does sound great with Klipsch. There is no doubt about that. Enjoy your system.

Tom

Hi Scott, I use a Marantz 2245 and could'nt be happier, I have a number of well regarded "classics" to compare it to ie, NAD7155, H/K twins, Pioneer SX, Kenwood , Sansui. but the Marantz has become a fixture now, especially since being serviced, Prior to that my Marantz 1152dc intergrated was top dog, for me the Marantz stuff just has it all and is a good match to Klipsch, listening is never fatiguing, i never tweak the tone controls apart from the low filter when playing vinyl. and to top it off they look good too.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that there is nothing, besides McIntosh that looks as good as the old Marantz. Just my oppinion

I bought mine at Saturday's Audio in Chicago but there is a place right on the state line in between Chicago and Milwaukee that is a Marantz reciever heaven. Small store, wall to wall Marantz, some other stuff and vinyl. I was impressed at the pristine condition of most of the Marantz recievers.

..................Vintage Marantz and H/K bring back memories.................

Mr. MARANTZ , you have a fine stack of gear there, Doug ............ Still have the Khorns? Hows the Winter treating you and your wife ? Seems pretty long this year, compared to last year .............. Eh ? beautiful gear .............

I am definately ready for spring. We have had alot of power outages with the wind and freezing rain. My guess is that Feb. and March are going to be hard. Thanks for asking about my wife. She is hanging on. She has been in the hospital more than out this last year. The liver transplant doctors tell us that the hospital stays will get more frequent and longer duration until she is high enough on the list to get a transplant. Still have the K horns, 1 pair of Lascalas and 6 pairs of Heresy's. I definately miss the Cornwalls. I noticed a pair of Cornwall crossovers on Saratoga Craigslist and thought maybe you got new crossovers for yours.

My Best Wishes to you're wife .............. You don't miss a trick, that was me, also sold my KG4's ... pulled the Xovers, no interest, sure am happy with the new ones, money well spent. Yes more than enough of the snow, rain, snow junk, everything gets so heavy, trees break, and power lines go with them, winter in the North East , not for everyone. You have my e-mail address if you need anything, don't be afraid to use it.... stubborn cuss you are, you won't ...