Listening Panel

colterphoto1

Guys, I need your help.

We're implementing a new media server listening system for our auditioning rooms. Engineering department is asking for our favorite tracks for critical listening. Could you guys give me some songs and albums that are favorites of yours? Who knows, you might get to hear some of 'your' music at the next Pilgrimage, played on Palladiums!!! (important disclaimer, I'm not suggesting that we will have Palladiums setup this year)

I need song name, artist, album, year of release ( label if you have it) and details as to why it would be a good audition track including any disinguishing trait for the song/album.

This list needs to be turned in by Monday 2/11 so would appreciate any input you can give. This same list will be posted in Subwoofer and Home Theater Forums as we need tracks appropriate for all.

Thanks a bunch, I know I can always depend on my Forum Brothers!

Michael

Yellow - Essential Yellow (Sept. 1992) Mercury (Universal) Song 16 : The Rhythm Devine ASIN by amazon B00002568G

This is a song with just about everything in it that one needs IMHO, jazzy woman singer with a voice that goes under your skin, deep bass with good combination of elt. and manual insturments. One of my favorites.The rest of the tracks on this album are also good if you like a combination of elt and traditonal music.

Kitaro - Kojiki 20 bit Digital Remastered (Nov. 2007) Megaphone import ASIN by amazon B00009WVT5

One of my favorite relax albums, remixed by the master. Wonderful mix of traditonal Japanise instruments with moder day. A lot of dynamics throughout the entire albums from gongs to clicks to rock gutuar. I once read that it was really hard to go on tour with him because you had to reproduce absolutely 100% as it was done in the studio. 0 improvisation

Ran

Michael, I second Famous Blue Raincoat. You cannot go wrong with any cut you choose. I'd suggest picking up the 20-year anniversary remaster. This recording has been very highly acclaimed, and is on virtually every audiophile's list of must-haves. Good for every reason you listed.

Michael, I second Famous Blue Raincoat. You cannot go wrong with any cut you choose. I'd suggest picking up the 20-year anniversary remaster. This recording has been very highly acclaimed, and is on virtually every audiophile's list of must-haves. Good for every reason you listed.

Thanks Fini and well said. Ive lost count of how many friends and relatives i've given this to, and also keep it in permanent rotation in their cdp.

Hi,

Will this be a direct from CD array of music or will they be MP3s or AAC?

My vote is for Uakti's Aguas De Amazonia. This disc has wonderful transients and really shows off the lack of hangover that good horns have.It also has some fascinating textures and I have given away many purchased copies of this disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Aguas-da-Amazonia/dp/B000HWY5ZW

I've been lurking a lot but I must say one of my favorate songs that I just love hearing above all is Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station (Medley). It's on the Arista Year's album, disk one, track 4. It was released in 1996 i believe. It has a great variety of sound in it. Good bass, lots of vocals, choir, classical instruments, on top of what you would find in a classic rock CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Arista-Years-Grateful-Dead/dp/B000002VRV/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202353837&sr=8-1

Thanks Fini and well said. Ive lost count of how many friends and relatives i've given this to, and also keep it in permanent rotation in their cdp.

Thanks guys, can you list your favorite track and exactly which qualities it possesses that would make it good for listening tests on Klipsch speakers?

Hi,

Will this be a direct from CD array of music or will they be MP3s or AAC?

My vote is for Uakti's Aguas De Amazonia. This disc has wonderful transients and really shows off the lack of hangover that good horns have.It also has some fascinating textures and I have given away many purchased copies of this disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Aguas-da-Amazonia/dp/B000HWY5ZW

Thanks Scott! We'll be storing them in the highest quality format on a music server so they can be accessed from any of our listening rooms. This way when we are voicing new developments or our test panel is rating our speakers vs the competition we can have a readily accessible library of audiophile recordings. Those who were at the last Pilgrimage heard some of Roy Delgado and Mark Kauffman's selections but we want to expand on those and include some personal cuts for everyone on the listening panel. (Steve, Trey, and myself are in this group).

Your description is exactly what I'm looking for. The Amazon link helps also.

Keep em coming guys, I have to have my list in on Monday.