HK 347 or Onk 805

dspears2

Hi Guys, really enjoying all the info here. Just pulled the trigger on a RF 82 system. Went with 52ctr, 52 rears and 10 sub. I ordered a HK avr 347 amp that came in today. Was wondering if this would be a good amp for these. I don't have much history with klipsch, I am a Polk convert. I am also considering the Onkyo TX sr 805 not much more money, and it has hdmi 1.3. From what I am reading that is not such a big deal now, but it does have right much more power. I have owned a few onks and always had good service from them. Any help will be appreciated. Going to pic up the speakers Friday hopefully.

David

• Moderators

I don't have much history with klipsch, I am a Polk convert. I am also considering the Onkyo TX sr 805 not much more money, and it has hdmi 1.3.

Nice setup David...Congrats! I too am a recent Polk convert and have had great results from my previous Onkyo TX-DS555. I have read a lot of great reviews about the 805.

The upgrade bug is always after me....Just curious.. how do you go about connecting a component amp to the 347. Does it work alongside the onboard amp. Does HK make such a beast. Just learning. Stayed up until 2:30 this am hooking the new system. Couldn't crank it because everyone was in bed. Looking forward to checking it out later today. I appreciate your help. It wouldn't take much for me to add another amp to this system. Thanks

D

Nice system and what a change for a polk convert. I think Klipsch are one of those speakers that can benefit most from the right receiver pairing. With that being said HK is a wonderful match. Warm sound mathched to a bright speaker is very nice IMHO. Onkyo's biggest draw right now is they have the video side of the home theatre market cornered. HDMI and all of it's step children versions are what Onkyo is using as it's marketing factor right now. Which is brilliant! If audio is what your after then both are great products but I feel HK is a great match for Klipsch speakers. Just a forum newbie giving his 2 cents is all............ Plus I spent countless days playing with different speakers and receivers just to see what they have to offer. A small perk of working in the industry for a few years.

Just an update. Have really enjoyed this forum, and Klipsch....I am a lifelong convert. Watched Transformers last night on TW hd. My kids liked it better at home than in the theater. An earler answer to my question suggested that i might benefit from a component amp.. Any suggestions that might not break the bank. I am about at the end of my budget. Any help will be appreciated... Just curious.

Thanks

• Moderators

Guess it depends on what would break your bank. The Acurus 200 x 3 is one of the least expensive options that I have seen that is said to match well with Klipsch. They have been going for around $400 on Ebay.

How many channels do you need?

• Moderators

Just curious.. how do you go about connecting a component amp to the 347. Does it work alongside the onboard amp.

Since no one has answered this I thought I would. On the back of your 347, you will notice at the bottom left, it says Pre-Out. The Pre-Outs allow you to send a signal to an external amp for any of the 7.1 channels. FL/FR is Front Left and Right, SL/SR is Surround Left and Right, SB would be Surround Back and so forth. On the back of an external amp, you have inputs. Let's say you bought an Acurus 200 x 3 amp, you would simply connect RCA from the Pre-Outs to the Amp, then speaker wire from the Amp to your three speakers. Some amps have RCA inputs, others have XLR and 1/4" inputs. I just tried an external amp for the first time and loved it. You can see my experience with a QSC 2 channel amp here. What a difference an external amp makes.